It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BlackBerry services collapse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

BlackBerry services collapse

www.telegraph.co.uk

The glitch, which struck at around 11AM, was affecting online services for consumers all over Europe, the Middle East and Africa. All are served by a RIM data centre in Slough.

They have been unable to browse the web or instant messages, or access other internet services such as email.

A RIM spokesman was not immediately available for comment. Users who are served by a corporate server appeared to be unaffected.

On one of its official Twitter feeds, however, T-Mobile UK said: “There is an issue with Blackberry services at present. RIM are investigating this at present."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Same day Icrap4s breaks pre order records the Blackberry service has a catastrophe?

Does anyone else find this extremely unusual? Is this the final straw before the final death spiral of blackberry?

I have never used the service so I can't comment on how devastating this is, does anyone here?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Devastating... Yea I bet it must be very devastating for those teenagers to go without using it a day or two. God forbid they will actually have to live the world through their senses and experience life for the first time.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I dont have a BB but my brother does...im in the Uk...he has had no problems with it. Been posting on facebook all day withit as per usual

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
blackberry sucks horribly.
I can't stand the devices.
Supporting them can be a nightmare.
And their licensing for exchange is expensive.

iPhone is much better or even Android.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Same day Icrap4s breaks pre order records the Blackberry service has a catastrophe?

Does anyone else find this extremely unusual?

Uh huh. But also...

RIM recently appeared at the Home Affairs Select Committee to argue that its services should not be shut down during crises. It followed claims that BBM users organised and encouraged the riots in English cities in August.

Maybe it's a lesson?

Good catch. S&F

to add

edit on 10/10/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Blackberry,in my opinion was doomed since the U.K riots. Apparently it was used to further incite looting and criminal activity ( of course,the BBC 24 hour rolling news had nothing to do with this)

I find it funny how its the device of choice for british M.Ps. In fact Im sure they get them free because of the tight incription.

Maybe Big Brother just doesnt like it when hes in the dark. so he closes the whole thing down by losing consumer confidence.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by takethat
Blackberry,in my opinion was doomed since the U.K riots. Apparently it was used to further incite looting and criminal activity ( of course,the BBC 24 hour rolling news had nothing to do with this)

I find it funny how its the device of choice for british M.Ps. In fact Im sure they get them free because of the tight incription.

Maybe Big Brother just doesnt like it when hes in the dark. so he closes the whole thing down by losing consumer confidence.
What in the world does the type of phone people use have anything to do with riots?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
had a slight issue earlier, but rebooted and all fine. false alarm I would say

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
DP soz!!
edit on 10/10/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

If I remeber correctly, the twitter and FB were disrupted by the UK, since BB is has their own messaging service it was used to bypass those UK government efforts.

BB agreed to turn over messages to the UK authorites which brought on some angst from their users..

Social Media Services Questioned by MPs Regarding London Riots

The BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) service was at the center of the communication network used by the rioters who tended to be of a lower socio-economic group which uses the inexpensive service as their primary way to connect with each other. Of course, this is not exactly the way any brand likes to see their name connected to what’s considered hot by many people around the world.

Blackberry was not alone, however, in these hearings though as representatives from Facebook and Twitter were questioned as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Agreed, if that is the case, they should ban all phones capable of sending texts, or any smart phone capable of using MSN, Yahoo, Google chat, skype etc etc etc etc.

In fact even being able to make calls should be a reason too as people can call each other to coordinate riots!!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
blackberry sucks horribly.
I can't stand the devices.
Supporting them can be a nightmare.
And their licensing for exchange is expensive.

iPhone is much better or even Android.

How very, very true.
I detest them with a passion - the most pointless piles of ***** ever.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The difference between BBs and all the other smart-phones is that BBs back-haul all their data connection through RIM. If there is a problem at the RIM offices, none of the data will work on the phones. Other smart phones have a direct connection to the internet without back-hauling the data to a RIM like service.

Another problem with BBs is the fact that you need a BES to make them work with Exchange, the other smart phones use ActiveSync with Exchange so no extra server is needed.

The main problem with BBs, they are over-engineered.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by takethat

Yep. It was all RIM's fault.

Without Blackberry's there wouldn't have been any riots.

If everyone were using iPhones they would have been all sitting in a circle and singing Kumbaya.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Both my son and i have Blackberries, and since last week they have become useless.
We are in the USA.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

It won't affect me. I have totally refuse ti use their over priced junk. Why people continue to buy something that is so well know for problems I don't understand. I would say you get what you pay for but in this instance you don't.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

i myself use iphone 4 but i believe blackberry mobiles can send a text message to multiple people at the same time which is unique for cell phones..................

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Were you still able to use it as a phone?

I may have missed something, but surely that is the sole purpose?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My Blackberry Torch has been fine. I surfed ATS mobile during my entire biology class today.

It must be a localized thing. Then again, I had to pay for all my apps. MINE'S BROKEN TOO...o wait. Stupid RIM.

I can't wait til my contract's up so I can get one of those spiffy ruggedized Casio smartphones. Android FTW.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join