It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Drug Policy Would Be Imposed Globally By New House Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

U.S. Drug Policy Would Be Imposed Globally By New House Bill

www.huffingtonpost.com

The House Judiciary Committee passed a bill yesterday that would make it a federal crime for U.S. residents to discuss or plan activities on foreign soil that, if carried out in the U.S., would violate the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) -- even if the planned activities are legal in the countries where they're carried out.

The Controlled Substances Act also regulates the distribution of prescription drugs, so something as simple as emailing a friend vacationing in Tijuana some suggestions on where to buy prescription medication over the counter could subject a U.S. resident to criminal prosecution. "It could even be something like advising them where to buy cold medicine overseas that they'd have to show I.D. to get here in the U.S.," Piper says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-10-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I am an American citizen living in Mexico. There are any number of over-the-counter medications I have used here that require a prescription in the US. These have been recommended to me by doctors here in Mexico but since no prescription is required then none is given me to purchase them, I just need to ask the pharmacist for them is all.

It has been quite awhile since I've left Mexico so I could not tell you which are currently controlled in the US, though I recognized some that were last time I was there. It seems I am dangerously close to being tried, paying huge fine, and serving time if I should even mention any of these products by name so I will just keep that to myself and warn you about this in case you should decide to vacation here and get a bellyache or some such.

It appears I would be on thin ice if I should mention to my wife I intend to visit the farmacia so now may have to just sneak out of the house or lie and tell her I'm going to the cantina, anything but the truth.

It appears I need to hurry along with becoming a Mexican citizen. I had only planned to remain a permanent resident here but appears I may have to re-think that if I don't wish to spend my retired years behind bars for an asthma inhaler.

Wow! Only in America. Land of the Free.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I was just going to post on this, but was told it was a violation of the T and C.

So I guess we dont get to talk about how the Republican-controlled house are passing draconian Big Government laws.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rabidrabbit

I hope it is not a T&C violation too. Some aspects would be, I'm sure, but this crosses the line into daily living. It appears to be a conspiracy law so mum's the word if I feel under the weather and might need a medicine.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the huffpo piece is the only article available on the subject, and I cant find a single link to the actual Bill at the House.gov website.

I would like to see who in the House voted for this (Rand Paul?)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

For the record, it has only passed the House. I doubt it will pass beyond that.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Maybe the US should:

1) Stop Transporting Cocaine Across the border in Mexico as the CIA has been caught doing
2) Controlling the sales of Oppium in Afganistan in order to Launder Money
3) How about they stop legalizing the use of Drugs that arent fully tested by FDA that end up harming people. Big Pharma
4) Forcing Vaccinations that arent fully tested.

How about they do this first, then we can discuss what i can and cant do in another country.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wow. That is like saying " every word is illegal except the word "sneaker".
You have freedom of speech just as long as the only word you are saying is "sneaker" because all other words are against the law.

So now it is illegal to even TALK about getting medications in Mexico or Canada. What about going across the border to a dentist because it is 1/10th the cost of here?

We just keep getting stripped more and and more every day. Pretty soon we will all be naked.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I would hope the Senate would be more enlightened than that. The story got my attention before I fully understood it all.

Perhaps my situation as an expat and the problems this could bring will get someones attention and prevent a further travesty from happening. This could put a damper on my golden years of retirement if it becomes law as is.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

VERY interesting. Sounds like a fast track to harmonization.

Global Standardization and Harmonization

"Harmonization" is the name given to the effort by industry to replace the variety of product standards and other regulatory policies adopted by nations in favor of uniform global standards. The harmonization effort gained a significant boost with the approval of several new international agreements, particularly the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), and the Uruguay Round of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which established the World Trade Organization (WTO). These trade agreements have also established an ever-increasing number of committees and working groups to implement the harmonization mandate. Unfortunately, most of these working groups are industry dominated, do not provide an opportunity for input by interested individuals or potentially-affected communities, and generally conduct their operations behind closed doors. Yet, under current trade rules, these standard-setting processes can directly affect our national, state and local policies.

S&F&

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

I would hope the Senate would be more enlightened than that. The story got my attention before I fully understood it all.

Perhaps my situation as an expat and the problems this could bring will get someones attention and prevent a further travesty from happening. This could put a damper on my golden years of retirement if it becomes law as is.

This was passed only by the House Judiciary Committee. It is not law yet.

If anyone could tel me where I can find a link to this Committee Bill (or whatever it is called), that would be super.

judiciary.house.gov...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

It has only been in the past year or so that antibiotics now require a prescription here. There are pharmacies in Mexico that deal with highly controlled substances like morphine and such, but most will carry the usual mild medications that one normally needs to obtain to for basic health concerns. Now those pharmacies need to keep paperwork for the antibiotics they sell which seems the first step toward full-on US style CONTROL in capital letters - a scam for doctors and pharmaceutical companies to keep the prices high.

Recently I had a bout with a stomach infection as has happened twice in the past decade here. I knew what medications I needed as a doctor had written it down for me three years ago the last time this occurred. When it came on I was not feeling well enough to stroll downtown so asked my wife to pick up my medication. She informed me that was no longer possible, the doctor on duty was not the same I visited years earlier, and the pharmacist offered something else in its place that was not an antibiotic. It was, instead, an anti-parasitic that was not controlled and was given to her for me to help my upset stomach. The stuff made me sick as a dog and prolonged my illness.

A doctor on my street came home that afternoon and paid me a housecall and wrote my scrip, without my coaxing, for exactly what I asked the pharmacist for. She told me that other stuff I was given was not what I needed and was BAD MEDICINE! Someday I hope to be free from these controls but that looks increasingly unlikely in this day and age. Big Pharma has us by the cojones.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
I was just going to post on this, but was told it was a violation of the T and C.

So I guess we dont get to talk about how the Republican-controlled house are passing draconian Big Government laws.

Republicans?
Feds target Calif. pot dispensaries for closure

The move comes a little more than two months after the Obama administration toughened its stand on medical marijuana.

edit on 7-10-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
My first thought was "This is really gonna hurt Amsterdam's tourism industry"
*Emote was part of the thought, I'm not an emote person otherwise*

Really though, this is ridiculous on so many levels. I can very vaguely understand reasoning behind this, but it's just plain not right.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This is simply conditioning people to live in constant dubiousness whether what they want to do is permitted or not. It will open way for more, deeper and much more layered enslaving. One will never feel free to do anything.
edit on 7-10-2011 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by rabidrabbit

Republicans?

Yes, the House is held by a Majority of Republicans. Are you unfamiliar with that fact?

judiciary.house.gov...

I am in no way only implicating one political party. Just pointing out that the House has a lot of so-called Tea Party Republicans in it, so I find this bit of legislation noteworthy.

Republicans

Smith
Hon. Smith
Chairman
(R) Texas, 21st

Sensenbrenner
Hon. Sensenbrenner Jr.
(R) Wisconsin, 5th

Coble
Hon. Coble
(R) North Carolina, 6th

Gallegly
Hon. Gallegly
(R) California, 24th

Goodlatte
Hon. Goodlatte
(R) Virginia, 6th

Lungren
Hon. Lungren
(R) California, 3rd

Chabot
Hon. Chabot
(R) Ohio, 1st

Issa
Hon. Issa
(R) California, 49th

Pence
Hon. Pence
(R) Indiana, 6th

Forbes
Hon. Forbes
(R) Virginia, 4th

King
Hon. King
(R) Iowa, 5th

Franks
Hon. Franks
(R) Arizona, 2nd

Gohmet
Hon. Gohmert
(R) Texas, 1st

Jordan
Hon. Jordan
(R) Ohio, 4th

Poe
Hon. Poe
(R) Texas, 2nd

Chaffetz
Hon. Chaffetz
(R) Utah, 3rd

Griffin
Hon. Griffin
(R) Arkansas, 2nd

Marino
Hon. Marino
(R) Pennsylvania, 10th

Gowdy
Hon. Gowdy
(R) South Carolina, 4th

Ross
Hon. Ross
(R) Florida, 12th

Adams
Hon. Adams
(R) Florida, 24th

Quayle
Hon. Quayle
(R) Arizona, 3rd

Mark Amodei
Hon. Amodei
(R) Nevada, 2nd

Democrats

Conyers
Hon. Conyers Jr.
Ranking Member
(D) Michigan, 14th

Berman
Hon. Berman
(D) California, 28th

Nadler
Hon. Nadler
(D) New York, 8th

Scott
Hon. Scott
(D) Virginia, 3rd

Watt
Hon. Watt
(D) North Carolina, 12th

Lofgren
Hon. Lofgren
(D) California, 16th

Jackson Lee
Hon. Jackson Lee
(D) Texas, 18th

Waters
Hon. Waters
(D) California, 35th

Cohen
Hon. Cohen
(D) Tennessee, 9th

Johnson
Hon. Johnson
(D) Georgia, 4th

Pierluisi
Hon. Pierluisi
(D) Puerto Rico, Resident Commissioner

Quigley
Hon. Quigley
(D) Illinois, 5th

Chu
Hon. Chu
(D) California, 32nd

Deutch
Hon. Deutch
(D) Florida, 19th

Sanchez
Hon. Sánchez
(D) California, 39th

Vacancy

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I think you missed my point. I see us being enslaved by all of government which is rotten to the core.

Wow, seeing ThePublicEnemyNo1's post removed has convinced me more than Garth that ATS is not on the side if the 99%.
edit on 7-10-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Indeed. But one expects this from the Democrats. They love Big Government. But when the Republicans do it, I think it is worth noting, because they sure have been making a big deal out of this 'limited government' they claim to want.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Come and get us! Your agencies are broke! You can barely stay afloat, and now you lie to yourself and make us laugh with this exaggerated hype! Good luck with this very ambitious policy! I'm sure the other countries will give a flying foofoo about what US citizens do outside of the US on their own turf, when it's in accordance with their laws (or not)! They're in it for the money too! They'll sell us whatever they can behind your backs! Ha ha! What a joke this is!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join