It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did a 33ft whale end up in the middle of a field in East Yorkshire?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk

A young whale died after an exceptionally high equinox tide carried it 800 yards from the shoreline to a salt marsh where it then became stranded.

The 33ft mammal, thought to be a Sei whale, was discovered in marshes on the north bank of the River Humber near the village of Skeffling.

The Yorkshire Wildlife Trust has noted a rise in whale sightings generally in 2011 but no-one is sure why there may be an increase in the mammals in the North Sea.

Over the summer, a pod of up to 10 Minke whales were spotted regularly off the North Yorkshire coast between Whitby and Scarborough.

Whale
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This reminds me of a Star Trek movie where they travelled back in time to rescue whales. They built transparent aluminum holding tanks, and beamed the whales up in a Klingon Warbird. Extinct whales got the probe to shutdown.

Whales are beaching themselves. WHY? This is a rare whale found 8 football fields inland. Did it REALLY flow in with the tide? Tides really aren't that high, are they?

Back to the beaming tech, did someone misplace the coordinates of this whale? The tide washing it up is the MSM explanation, but I don't quite buy it. Any thoughts?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

That particular episode is what inspired me to study Chemical Engineering and Materials. Life has taken a different turn these days and I am nowhere near R & D like I planned, and I'm not even using my chemistry degree, but that particular episode of Trek changed my life direction at the time!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think between the horror that BP unleashed in the Gulf of Mexico (or Halliburton if you believe like I do that BP's rig was sabotaged) and the CONSTANT, UNENDING SONAR, from legitimate uses to "testing" and the like, it's no surprise that whales, dolphins and a variety of other sea life are becoming beached.

People use the phrase "beaching themselves" but I think we have forcably beached them.

We have turned the beautiful oceans into a hellish nightmare with the constant chemical and garbage dumping, and the foul radiation from disasters like Fukushima.

This whale is just another casualty of the greed of man. We should all be ashamed of what we have allowed to happen to this Earth. The Earth is being RAPED as we all stand by, watching and saying "that's bad, they shouldn't do that."

He said there had only been three strandings of this species in UK waters in the last 20 years.

That is no coincidence.
edit on 10/7/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

link   
maybe the whale moved about on dry land .....and covered that much distance....
much like goldfish that falls out of its tank and flips around and ends up quite a distance away from its tank.

edit on 7-10-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

link   
Possibly from the same pod as this one that died in the Hebrides earlier this week.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Makes me sick to the stomach these beautiful animals are dying needlessly and so frequently. Pretty sure humans are to blame for the most part too.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I thought they made it pretty clear that a crazy tide placed it there.

Yeah.........A crazy large tide placed the whale there, and NOTHING else around that belongs in the ocean.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Interesting but not exactly breaking news , the article is dated 29th September...

edit on 7-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Let's see, a whale gets caught in a rogue high tide and can't get back to the ocean and dies. Sorry about the whale theyare beautiful creatures. I have gone whale watching several times. I just fail to find something sinister here.

Now what really happened is that a fisherman over by Sweden caught this whale in his net. One of the aquariums in San Diego wanted one of these whales for display. They offered $4,000,000. So we took a C-130 over and loaded the whale into a tank inside the airplane. About 1/4th of the way through the flight the whale started moving around and rocking the plane. it got so bad that we had to jettison the whale. We thought we were over the ocean, but, we had a slight navigational error and ...................well you know the rest.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

just a correction - its not " in a feild " - its on a section of salt marsh - which by definition does flood at high tide

these marshes are below the high water mar and have chsannels that can be quite deep - and are treacherous - with pools and " quicksands " - and when they do flood - it happens with terrifying speed

if a whale gets itself lost in such a marsh - its beeching is almost inevitable

the only question that vexes me is why so many whales are being sited in the north sea this year

from personal experience and talking to aquantances - there have been more sitings in the last year - than the previous decade

ps - my i ask why you distrust the explaination ? - you are not one of these people who jejects statments just because they come from official sources are you ?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It would make far more sense if they found a bowl of petunias near by.

Second line

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

A young whale died after an exceptionally high equinox tide carried it 800 yards from the shoreline to a salt marsh where it then became stranded.

An exceptionally high equinox tide maybe?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Druid42

just a correction - its not " in a feild " - its on a section of salt marsh - which by definition does flood at high tide

these marshes are below the high water mar and have chsannels that can be quite deep - and are treacherous - with pools and " quicksands " - and when they do flood - it happens with terrifying speed

the only question that vexes me is why so many whales are being sited in the north sea this year

from personal experience and talking to aquantances - there have been more sitings in the last year - than the previous decade

ps - my i ask why you distrust the explaination ? - you are not one of these people who jejects statments just because they come from official sources are you ?

It's an area frequently used by Nuclear Submarines, the majority of mass beachings for whales in this part of the world take place off the north coast of Ireland and west coast of Scotland which are heavily populated by the military using sonar equipment.

Yes this one in Yorkshire appears to be a freak accident for a single whale, but such is the subject it raises the blood pressure of a lot of people.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Off topic are you a soldier?

Back on topic. Its a shame for these animals,. Has the increase in the reverse of the north and south poles have anything to do with more occurance's of animals beaching and dying? There is reports of seals dying as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I bet he was just trying to evolve and grow legs so he could be human or a land based animal.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43
reply to post by Druid42

I bet he was just trying to evolve and grow legs so he could be human or a land based animal.

Well someone needs to step up and tell them just how # it is up here and how lucky he is to live in the ocean.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
sounds like Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Ahhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Okay okay, calm down calm down get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? Its a sort of tingling in my... well I suppose I better start finding names for things. Lets call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, what's this roaring sound, whooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do. Yeah, this is really exciting. I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now isn't it? And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!

edit on 7-10-2011 by Tobree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Druid42

The explanation I accept, but it seems weird that a whale would be found so far from the coast. The beach is shallow, and it would take a huge volume of water to move such a big creature. I don't buy the MSM version.

To wit, why would the whale NOT try to swim back to sea in the tide. To me, it seems, the whale wanted to die. THAT bothers me.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

carried a whale 800 yards
yup nothing is happening folx it just was a strange gravity caused tide from the moon as usual... and yes I feel ALL the sea LIFE is trying to avoid the dirt in the sea rfrom oil and radiation. SMH there was just a 8 ft bull shark caught in 4 ft of water and it was with another that got away in Virginia? this was in the last week.
edit on 10/7/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Whales are beaching themselves. WHY? This is a rare whale found 8 football fields inland. Did it REALLY flow in with the tide? Tides really aren't that high, are they?
yes it very bad land full of channels that fill with the tide. its very easy to get cut off from the land so i`d imagin its worse for geting cut off from the sea if you had to stay in the water

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join