It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimum wage jobs leave millions in poverty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Minimum wage jobs leave millions in povertyfinance.yahoo.com...
Now economics 101 (were capitalize fails )
raise minimum wage pirces go up even fast one every thing else.
any one know what compound interest is? It when you pay 75 k for a home then pay another 75 k in interest.
now that 30 years have going by has the wage kept up with a 100% incress in housing cost? and now its 150k what will it be in another 30 years 300k so you see this can not be sustained .
Of corse then when people are sop poor they turn more and more to drugs drinking and crime you come on here posting that they should all be killed.
thing is YOU and me and my parents created THIS its OUR fault blame bush Obama who ever you want BUT this is OUR fault.
You sow what you reap . This is your world and very one of use has made it what it is .
If you dont have the courage to look at who you are then you shouldn't be posting how others seam
You really believe your a wonder full person because you still have a good job?
Then turn on the air run through out the trash run your car and you really believe your great for earth or helping this country?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
give me a break seriously

yeah pay people 25 an hour to flip burgers push a broom or what ever.

people need to get in their heads that wage can not be dictated by government the market does.

think for one second and seriously if you think people have it so bad

my first job was at $3,25 an hour.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
neo, id like to see you try to survive on mimimum wage.

and dont tell us about your degree or 20 years exp at a job.

could YOU live on min wage?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
What people don't realize is the prices of a lot of products in and out of the supermarket are dictated by the minimum wage. Set minimum wage at $25 and a gallon of milk will be $17.50 and a loaf of bread will be $12.50. The only way to beat it is to learn a marketable skill, and get paid more than minimum wage. Playing the lazy entitlement grasshopper taking advantage of others is not a winning scheme in life.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

i do...not easy but i do
sure i dont get lots of shiney things and new stuff all the time i dont go out for dinner every other day ect...but i make it by.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
excatly my point the prices will go up above what minimum wage people earn this is the fault of chaptializm .
after all we couldnt have people earning enough to have a good life with who nees garbage takin off anyway or what you flush cleaned right ? your job pushing papers that have NO meening at the end of the day is what we cant live without

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

True, but that is easier said than done. People have to figure out what they are good at given what is available in their area. Someone who is not good at writing but has a knack for science shouldn't attempt to become an author. However, they may live in an area where science based jobs don't exist, and the jobs that are available in that area involve good writing skills. Some people would say move, but moving requires money, and some people are tied to their location for various reasons. For example I have a home that is paid off and elderly grandparents close by that depend on me. Moving from a paid off home would be foolish, and moving away from people who are dependent upon me would be selfish.
Another barrier to that would be the cost of education or training. That doesn't come cheap, and you rarely find places that do on the job training anymore. Many people have valuable skills they learned from their parents but people are now required to be certified or have a degree to be able to perform that sort of work.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
What people don't realize is the prices of a lot of products in and out of the supermarket are dictated by the minimum wage. Set minimum wage at $25 and a gallon of milk will be $17.50 and a loaf of bread will be $12.50. The only way to beat it is to learn a marketable skill, and get paid more than minimum wage. Playing the lazy entitlement grasshopper taking advantage of others is not a winning scheme in life.

get rid of minimum wage and you'll be making 5 cents an hour and milk will still cost 4 a gallon.

if you actually ran a business instead of working for one, you'll realize the cheaper you can get away with paying someone the more you can pocket the difference for profit and the more competitive you can price your product.

but when was the last time you saw anything go down in price.

link   
No one is worth more than 100k a year.

No, not even doctors.

link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Welcome to the modern world. Where nearly anyone can become a bucket and the tap is become a thing of the past. Wonder whats going to happen when the tap runs out? No more water, no way to fill the bottomless buckets.

I've lived off minimum wage, working with my mother and Step-dad getting by with what we had. It sucks and it certainty can feel like a trap. Which is why we need to create a environment thats easier and friendlier to move up in the system. Sure its good to help the truly need, but as the way entitlements are right now you can't help everyone. Instead of "helping" the poor elevate them. I see people whining about helping the poor and just seem to want to throw money at the situation, not get down to the roots and actually solve the problem. And now raising the Minimum wage doesn't make them richer, cause inflation will soon bring them back down.

Labor jobs are a dime a dozen, in a ideal society the youth should only being doing those jobs. Just to have a little extra money on the side and learn from experience and who to handle money. Then when they grow up going through schooling move on to bigger and better things.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well perhaps those people should find better jobs. I mean like duh!??

Seriously people this is why we need Obama longer so he can motivate people working bad jobs to get the good ones!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
for god sake what some people are good at is cleaning. Should that meen thye need hand outs??
You have no value of what work really is.
If every one magicly was pushing papers who would empty your trash? I grante then you will be willing to pay more for someone to do it.
Unless you like piles ten feet high in your yeard? have you ever seen photos of NY when the trash people strike??
www.corbisimages.com...
now tell me how much its worth to get ride of IT

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
thank bill clinton for nafta......i know he didn't have a choice but to sign it, but still, it's messed up....i know that if you have a car, you can forget about living on minimum wage unless you live in a 200 a month mobile home or motherinlaws quarters or something.........otherwise, once you pay for your gas, insurance, phone bill, electric, you have no money left over for anything other than bologna sandwiches if that.............and i know, when minimum wage goes up, the prices go up accordingly, so it doesn't make a difference at all, you still can't make it on minimum wage.....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

The only way to beat it is to learn a marketable skill, and get paid more than minimum wage. Playing the lazy entitlement grasshopper taking advantage of others is not a winning scheme in life.

I have a skill that is apparently not easy to come by, judging by my coworkers. It is in the dental industry, and I need technical and artistic knowledge to create and manipulate replicas of teeth for cosmetic surgery. My employer is ripping me off, paying me only 11/hour. I make enough product in 1 day for him to pay my salary for a month. I could quit, but then what? Id be making minwage. There are no other options. It is either sell my labor for less than it is worth, or sell it for even less than that.

Im sick of attitudes like yours, where everyone but is you is struggling because they are lazy. Im struggling because im getting #ed by my employer.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think some people need to do some reading on how the market works. Milk, bread, gasoline, and everything else doesn't just appear on the shelves and pumps. People getting paid money as you are make, package, deliver, and stock it. And that has to figure into the price of the items you buy.

For those complaining about not knowing what they're good at (huh?), training (I learned computers from hands on experience, the Internet, and borrowing books from friends in the IT industry.), and no jobs available where they live (Move to a place where there are jobs.). Be adults, people, and stop trying to live off others. The only one keeping you down is you, not the "man".
edit on 9/27/11 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

alright people minimum wage was never meant for people to live on it was designed for students to earn cash while they live with their mommies and daddies.

that was the deal and the deal for adults who are trying to live on minimum wage i say what are you thinking?

if your not making enough cash to live on you have 2 options get another job or trade up to a better paying job.

and what was said peoples skill sets are not created equal nor is the pay for them you can not sit there and tell me that a bagboy needs to be paid 12 dollars and hour to bag groceries or clean toilets and a myriad of other jobs.

like i said the market and job dictates compensation you dont have to like nor should you but if you need more money do something about instead of just sitting there and crying how unfair it is.

when its all said an done there is only one person you can count who will never let you down and who will never screw you over.

YOU.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
i just read an article similar to this thread, its called get ready for poverty deniers, i'm seeing it all over this thread.......heres the link

poverty deniers

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by patternfinder

No, there definitely is poverty in America, especially with the total unemployment number creeping up on 20%. But the topic of this thread is to increase the minimum wage for a magic cure to poverty, and it won't. Prices will increase when minimum wage increases, as it has done in the past. The deniers are those who don't see this and continually blame the "man" for simple market economics.

If people wish to waste their energies on this, go right ahead. I'm out.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

The new generation in this nation is going to face the fact that with all the education they can get they will be living in poverty with jobs that will never let them taste what two generations ago our parents and grandparents enjoyed.

Our nation has gone back wards went it comes to standards of living and middle class wages, the middle class if dying and the working poor class is growing.

Very soon we will be working for food.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

wow.. and so who will run all the places that those with marketable skill shop at ?.. if everyone were to take your advice and get a highly marketable skill ?

and you seem to have a lot of people with highly marketable skills working the minimum paying jobs in your country right now..?

You're little winning scheme makes no sense... and the prices are dictated NOT solely by minimum wage.. they are dictated by greed that wants to keep their profit at the highest level possible.

as far as playing lazy entitlement grasshopper..these people work a lot harder than many with their fancy degrees...who seem to think they have all the answers to lifes problems.

edit on 27-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join