It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does voting even matter in the United States?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

didn't perry go to the bilderberg thing, too? or was that just bohemain grove?

i'm sure they hedge their bets. i mean if i was going to fix an election i sure would want to cover all my bases.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
My vote hasn't counted for a very long time. Don't know why I bother at all. I guess I keep hoping it matters, but in the end the Electoral College votes for whomever they choose. My vote generally goes with the popular vote. So even though my candidate won, he often times lost. This is a poor system. It does not work

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
It only matters if you picked the winning horse, otherwise for I believe some 48 of the states your vote is never reflected thanks to the winner-takes-all systems in place controlling the distribution of votes. So in the case of say Wisconsin (has 10 votes last i checked) splitting 4 for Candidate A and 6 for Candidate B in a 40/60 split all 10 votes go to Candidate B, giving the impression to those who don't know any better that the winner won the entire state instead of only 60% of the votes. If we did away with the winner-takes-all nonsense maybe these absurdly divisive concepts of red or blue states would go away and people might realize that its not as clear cut as previously thought.

any attempt to solve these election glitches, will be obstructed by the status quo alliance.
claiming states rights, it would require a constitutional amendment.

as dysfunctional as the federal system is now, with the financial, military, climate, earthquake, and other disasters shaking the boat, nothing is likely going to change the course of the Titanic.

i don't like being a cassandra, we hit an economic iceberg in 2008, and we are still on the same course, with the boat still taking in water.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Voting is one of the greatest cons in the world - it gives the brainwashed masses the impression that they're free... It's a great way to keep the slaves erm.. public under control..

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
You may not like it.

You may not choose to believe the results - especially if your candidate doesn't win. BTW, we used to call that "sour grapes".

But it's all we have to try and influence the government.

There are some here who love to say it's rigged, and all politicians are the same I think as an excuse to not take part in the process. A pure and simple cop out. They didn't get their way, so now they don't want to play. I'm making this viewpoint sound a little childish, because IMO it is. Not every party will win every time. Just like your favorite sports team. And when you lose, you have to choose between taking your toys and slinking home, or redoubling your efforts (hopefully legal) to try and win the next one.

But here's the real danger IMO of joining the "I'm not going to play" movement. If a large enough group of citizens talk themselves into being sheeple, then they help create the dictatorship - by defaulting on their responsibilities to take part - they say they fear so much. You will have done it to yourselves. And by the time you realize that, it will be far, far too late to do anything about it short of armed revolution. Good luck with that.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Depends. Are you asking if your vote counts in a philisophical sense or literal sense? IN the literal sense, of course. Everyone's vote counts. If the ATSers that claim votes mean nothing really believed it, there would not be a billion threads on the GOP primaries right now. It would be a waste of time to create those threads. It's simply a convenient excuse when their candidate (usually a fringe cadidate that has no chance in hell...cough Ron Paul...cough) doesn't get the nomination or doesn't win the election.

There is one reason and one reason only that John McCain is not your President right now. Sara Palin. Moderates decide elections since they are swing votes and in the majority. Moderates determined very early on that Palin was a nut. No big conspiracy in that.

Now if you are asking about your vote in a philisophical manner, that's a different discussion all together and maybe it doesn't count so much in the long run.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Short answer: NO!

All your politicians are now wholly-owned sock puppets of corporate America. They don't work for the people anymore, they work for their corporate donours. Until that system is fixed, nothing will ever change.

Even worse, they distract the general (dumb) public with this entire left vs right crap by taking things to extremes. All those on the left are Soros-sponsored communist hippies, and all those on the right are corporate fat cats or religious nutjobs. That's how they distract people, and sadly the majority in the US is purely educated and can't see through all of this.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Does voting even matter in the United States?

Only to those that runs the government, behind politicians, for the rest of the people it matters nothing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join