It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone noticed an odd smell of rubber burning in diffirent places at diffirent times?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
How funny that I saw this thread cause I have been wondering why I keep smelling burning rubber from time to time when there is nothing around me burning. I was just outside a few minutes ago and for just a couple seconds I could smell burning rubber. Then as quickly as I smelled it, it was gone. I would say I have noticed this happening over the last few months, I have yet to find a reason for it.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

A strange thread but I clicked on it because I and other members of my family have also noticed the strange smell of rubber burning a few times over the last year and not been able to find the source.

Rubber burning invisible alliens or hidden tunnels in the UK with the smell of wafting rubber drifting up to the surface?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Id be more inclined to leaning towards a chemical smell, but one that my nose thinks is burning rubber. I spent an hour going over the house looking for something smouldering last Friday due to being hit in the face by it when I stepped out the front door. Checked the neighbours houses as well as it was after midnight when I went out.

respects

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It would seem that this smell is global. Got the smell of burning rubber on the way home last night. Looked around to see is there was anything burning but nothing. It only lasted for a short time, thought there was something possibly wrong with the car, yet all was well. This was in the center of the city where I live in South China.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If there is no actual evidence of burning rubber nearby it might not hurt to do some checking into things that smell like burning rubber. For example eating asparagus, especially fresh asparagus or drinking certain types of tea can cause your urine to smell "like" burning rubber. Anything using a belt like a washing machine, furnace fan or vacuum to a treadmill with the big belt could cause it around the home. Just like leaving a smoky bar, you will smell the smoke on your clothes at home later.

Oddly enough my wife said she wants a rubber plant to freshen up the living room a bit.
I think it's a stupid idea. If anything it'll have opposite effect.
The noise would be deafening, and just imagine the co2 emissions.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What you're smelling is OZONE.

Most likely it is a air conditioner that is in need of maintenance.

Or a refrigerator or any appliance that uses some type of refrigerant to cool and condition the air.

It could be a warehouse that has a cooler,a grocery store that has coolers and freezers or a business

that has an air conditioner or even the semi-trucks that have refrigerated trailers.

Even your car if you have the air conditioner on and has a leak can produce this smell.

It is more noticeable when there is a low pressure system in the area.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

This is Scotland, our air conditioner is based on opening the front door on a windy day. I appreciate you trying to bring some sanity to a strange situation but believe me this is not normal, is obviously over a very wide area and is strongest outside...

respects

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

This is Scotland, our air conditioner is based on opening the front door on a windy day.

sorry a lil off topic but this response made me LOL
and so so true
good old polluted fresh Scottish air

mayb it is weather related? god knows it certainly strange alright

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Where do you live? I live in Ohio, southern quadrant, and just a few days ago we drove our van into town, a 7 mile drive. As we entered town, we all noticed a strong smell of rubber burning. I was a long time mechanic, and recognize that smell. We stopped the truck, shut down the engine, and inspected it for wiring shorts and such, and found nothing. Then the next day I smelled the same smell right near my home. Anyone know what this is?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

both myself and the OP stay in scotland, UK im on the east side he/she is on the west side

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

It could be the small of Haggis on heat, you know what they are like round about September, I knocked one down last September as it chased a mate accross the road. Im a he

respects

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
so weird,

I have been smelling this smell for the past couple days.

I live in southern Ontario, Canada.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This guy loves the smell of burning rubber in the morning...FB page here:

I love the smell of burning rubber

I googled smelling rubber burning and found some interesting links. Source

Another good medical reference for what could be causing the burnt rubber smell: Source
Just a sugguestion: take off the condom.

edit on 6-9-2011 by relocator because: fixed link

edit on 6-9-2011 by relocator because: added another link

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
reply to post by captiva

Torchwood category one ?,
Also noticed that strange smell mainly at night, it seems to be in the coastal areas of the UK i cant really pin it down but its a very overpowering smell somethings not quite right, Also a prelude to a stroke is the taste of sulpher in your mouth, not in your nasals, IMO...

lol Defintly Torchwood cat 1
I smelt it again today coming out of Asda before getting into my car, ive only really noticed in the last few months, I also, am a few miles from the sea.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This just came up on the news here in the PNW... Weird!
www.king5.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
mmm Now that is really interesting, maybe this is something we should be aware off and hopefully the thread will help us monitor any other examples from other places...Well Found !

respects

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thats so strange to see this here. Last night I was going nuts trying to figure out where this smell was coming from. I'm over in NY. Smelled it all last night.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

It isn't often a thread on ATS really spooks me, but yours has. My brother in-law and I were just over working through a storage shed I got at auction this weekend when we smelled something very similar. It wasn't quite burning rubber...more like the ozone smell of electronics but not quite that either. It definitely had the aspect of burning tires like a trash pile someone didn't sort before setting out to burn.

I don't know why I'm finding it so hard to put into words what this smelled like....but burning rubber is as accurate a description as anything. We BOTH smelled it at the same time though and actually went walking to find the source, it came on so strong. The problem is, the more we moved up wind, the more it faded for following the direction, yet it never entirely went away. Perhaps another storage unit with a problem? That is what we figured...then I smelled something almost identical near my house yesterday. Upon coming across the thread here, I don't mind admitting I am more than a little curious here.

edit on 6-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo correction

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Are you sure it's a burnt rubber odor? Is it possible the smell is more like burning cardboard than rubber?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
very weird indeed,it made me paranoid with my car,bare in mind im in sweden,not usa.anyway several times for the past 2 weeks it has hapend to me .that smell and i have ruled out my car,other cars or a location since its been at diferent ones.also at times its almost like gunpowder smell.anyway i found this interesting,since im not in uk or usa but got the same smell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join