It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Christians need to change the way they communicate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So I was just reading the thread, "Conversation with a six year old," in the dreams and prophecies forum, where a woman was talking about how her child had started spontaneously talking to her about extraterrestrials. Other people were saying various different things, but then a Christian randomly shows up, and among other things posts the link to a web article asserting that it wasn't possible for extraterrestrials to be anything other than Satanic.

Before I continue, here, I'm going to say that I think the author of that article did have one valid point. The idea of an extraterrestrial race coming down and saying, "Do what we say and we'll save you," genuinely *is* dangerous, even if not for the reasons he might think. An ET group that did that, would genuinely be giving us warning signs not to listen to them at all; but I don't think most people would have the discernment to figure that out, sadly.

My main point, though, is that I can honestly hardly remember the last communication that I've had with a Christian, that didn't consist almost entirely of appeals to guilt and fear, or accusations that I was a demoniac; or that just about anything they didn't understand was automatically Satanic by default. The fact that I no longer wanted a belief system that had a basis of guilt and fear, was actually what prompted me to leave Christianity; and I don't appreciate hearing it from them now, any more than I did back then.

I'm not saying that *all* Christians are like this, hence my use of the word "some" in the thread title. I do think, however, that there unfortunately is a sizeable number of contemporary Christians who need to read their Bible a little more thoroughly. Jesus Christ did *not* continually make appeals to guilt and fear. Some, yes; but there was also a considerable amount of grace and love in there as well.

If you are not prepared to at least periodically emphasise the more positive aspects of Christ's message, then as far as I am concerned, you do not deserve to call yourselves Christians at all.

Understand this; if you claim to represent Yahweh, or His son, then He will judge you for how many of you, in my lifetime, have treated me; and it is written that he is not deaf to cries for justice.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Not trying to be difficult here but shouldn't this be in the Rant section?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

and it is written that he is not deaf to cries for justice.
reply to post by petrus4

Cry to Yhwh, Not us. lol

No, but seriously. You have a point.
I'm a Christian my self, and a lot of Christians are simple minded.
These are the people who don't read the bible, they just listen to their pastor.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

My main point, though, is that I can honestly hardly remember the last communication that I've had with a Christian, that didn't consist almost entirely of appeals to guilt and fear

Understand this; if you claim to represent Yahweh, or His son, then He will judge you for how many of you, in my lifetime, have treated me

Ironic much, you claim that when talking to Christians all they do is use guilt and fear to get their points across yet that is exactly what you do.

Of course, I think it's completely reasonable to for Christians to do that cause that's what the Bible teaches. It's all 'Obey me or be tortured for eternity'. The Bible is all about fear.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Hi petrus. You make some very valid points, but I'm espectially curious about one thing:

My main point, though, is that I can honestly hardly remember the last communication that I've had with a Christian, that didn't consist almost entirely of appeals to guilt and fear, or accusations that I was a demoniac

When you say this, does it mean you just don't talk to many people at all in the first place, or do you somehow pre-screen your conversational partners to find out if they're believers in the first place, and what belief system they follow if so?

Otherwise it seems to me like you're only talking about a VERY small percentage of chrisians that comes to light primarily when discussing matters relating to the faith in one way or another...and these are usually a very bad example, granted.

Not trying to belittle your points as they are very valid, but I would assume you actually talk to quite a few more 'normal' christians regularly (and on more mundance matters, most likely) and these bad examples just stick out in your mind. I'll definitely agree that a good many christians would do very well to get back to basics as I see way to many of them in this life competing with the Joneses, focusing on worldly matters, supporting war and aggression, not really acting in a way I could recognize as Christ-like, etc.

Thanks friend.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's very hard for me to tolerate Christians' extremely narrowed views.
I'm seriously thinking about apostasy.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Josonic

The bible isn't about fear.
Have you read the bible?
The Bible is about Love and compassion. What is there to fear?
It isn't about "Obey Me or be Tortured".
It's about giving everyone a chance to live in paradise for all eternity.
The only thing I fear is not being there with the rest of them.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
As someone mentioned in one of my threads RELIGION IS A FORM OF SELF GOVERNING (kind of helps the minds process how they should act and treat others once AWARE). With that it is selfish to consider ALL others then humans as demons because there are some demonic humans, yes??? Also if there was an interaction due it would be wise to be sure if you are going to call some who may come to support you as demons. Especially if they are attempting to FREE many of you SPIRITUALLY from the demons who may be here near or on there way as well.

Be well

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Yes 'Obey me and go to paradise or disobey and be tortured for eternity'. It's not about love and compassion. If it were everyone would go to heaven. At the very least those who live morally good lives would be able to go, or be given a second chance when God proves his existence. But no, even F|_|CKING Ghandi goes to hell (tortured for eternity with no second chance of 'repenting') .

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Don't worry this sounds just like a religion, as for example Christianity:

"Do what we say and we'll save you,"

and you are right about this:

genuinely it *is* dangerous.

edit on 25-8-2011 by Diyainoue because: messd up quoting

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
RELIGION IS A FORM OF SELF GOVERNING

Religion is the opposite of self-governing. It's being governed by an outside source(the Bible, the Qur'an, God). It literally is being governed by something else.

ATHEISM IS A FORM OF SELF GOVERNING

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Josonic

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.
Think about this.
Eternity in paradise.
For believing in Jesus Christ and living by his word.
I'm not talking about winning a new car, or the lotto.
We are talking about Heaven.
Seems like a small price to pay.
I'm guessing you lead a terrible life and feel like you have no control over changing.
Is this why you are so upset about the people who get to go to Heaven?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Josonic

Lord Enki and Lord Enlil are the 2 gods of which you speak who influenced this data. So research them BOTH and you may have a better understanding.

The three major Abrahamic religions are, in chronological order of founding, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Abraham was influenced by LORD ENLIL
edit on 8/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Or just take a different approach, I don't believe in Christianity so in general I don't let the subject bother me...

link   

Originally posted by Josonic

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
RELIGION IS A FORM OF SELF GOVERNING

Religion is the opposite of self-governing. It's being governed by an outside source(the Bible, the Qur'an, God). It literally is being governed by something else.

Atheism is a form of immaturity.
You need to grow up.
Look around you.
How could this earth, no not earth, This UNIVERSE.
How could the universe even exist with out God?
Impossible.

link   

Originally posted by Josonic

In time my friend

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

You seem to have payed attention while you were still claiming Christianity. I think you left short of seeing that, as you said yourself, Christ didn't just preach the fire and brimstone. Brass tax, would you now openly deny Christ ? If you say no ? Then may I suggest you may have only left some people behind.

Excellent thread I agree Christians can be real snobs sometimes. There people tho just like you and I. Can't expect them all to have a great delivery.

SnF

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Also whenever you say something about Jesus or the bible that a christian doesn't like, 'you don't understand the teachings properly and cannot without faith'.

It's absurd to assume that someone else does not understand simply because their view differs from yours, maybe someone else actually interprets and understands something differently, this is why there are so many branches of christianity.

Rather than asserting that that everyone else has it wrong, just admit you may not have all the answers but you believe xyz. It's as easy as that.

Very many people who hold different views of the bible had faith at some point, understood things similarly to them but something, some new piece of information changed their mind.

We do not all need converting to one idea of truth, its very often the tactics used by evangelicals that turn some away from christianity. If you want to help someone as a christian, be a friend, respectful and kind. Give a good example, wait to be asked about your faith. Too many christians behave as judges, we know what the bible says about most things we do wrong and do not need to be told what the bible says in that respect.

If you really want to help me, pray for my migraine to go away.

link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by Josonic

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.
Think about this.
Eternity in paradise.
For believing in Jesus Christ and living by his word.
I'm not talking about winning a new car, or the lotto.
We are talking about Heaven.
Seems like a small price to pay.
I'm guessing you lead a terrible life and feel like you have no control over changing.
Is this why you are so upset about the people who get to go to Heaven?

First of all you don't have to 'live by his word' to go to heaven, all you have to do is believe Jesus was the Messiah...Simple as that. If you choose to rape and murder children for the rest of your life after you do that, you will go to heaven (according to the Bible).

And that is exactly my point, all God cares about is if you believe in him, if you do, you will be rewarded for eternity, if you don't you will be punished for eternity.

Second of all I'm not upset about people who get to go to heaven...It doesn't exist. I can't be upset at what doesn't exist.

link   
Abraham and his descendants served Enlil, and followed his precepts. The Egyptians, on the other hand, were Enki’s protégés, and based on food management practices during the devastating droughts around the time of Jacob and Joseph, were doing a lot better than Enlil’s followers. Obviously Noah backed the right horse in that Enki shared boat plans with the righteous fellow -- whom Enlil later claimed as his own.

www.halexandria.org...

In the Sumerian version the "Noah" of the flood was is Utnapishtim.

edit on 8/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join