It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is killing in self defense necessary?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Anybody who honestly believes "just shoot him in the leg" is an option should run an IDPA course.

Draw and fire on a charger or swinger or even just a stationary and make those leg/arm shots with any consistency in time. I've tried. I've never cared about scores so I approach each match with a theme or tactic to work on or try within the parameters of the course and I've done "head shots only" days and "wound not kill" days several times.

Either ironically or humorously it is a lot easier to get head shots while "shooting to wound" with anything resembling a realistic defensive time at any consistency is outrageously difficult. Of course center mass is always the best option for hits and time.

The "shoot to wound" types are the ones who have their firearms wrestled away and used on themselves or they're the "I didnt mean to miss my target and send a bullet through the skull of some sleeping child in his own bed" types.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
You don't necessarily shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the attack in my opinion.

You shoot till the adversary is down and no longer a threat. That may mean they are dead but not necessarily.

If they guy is down and he is unarmed and crying for mommy and is no longer a threat then I let it be and call 911.

One of the 2 times I had to draw a weapon to stop an attack it didn't end that well. The guy died and believe me it is
NOT something you want to live with if given the choice. It's been many, many years and there are still dreams.

It was a very traumatic experience I don't wish on anyone but if it is the last resort it beats the alternative of being dead.

I am not going into details again but there is a post on here somewhere if you feel the need to dig it up and know details.

And for those who want to know...... Yeah, I would do it again if need be. The only difference is instead of a 9mm. I now carry a different caliber weapon.

edit on 30-8-2011 by mwood because: added content

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
Just curious with those of you that have answered here...who has ever served and been in war or had to defend themself from an armed person, that is shooting at you?

You do what you have to, and live..or die, with your decision...until you do it or are faced with it, you all are just talking out your asses....

In my youth in the 60's I did two tours in VietNam. Combat and reacting to attackers can not be compared, different realities.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

In my opinion it is ALWAYS necessary. A threat is a threat, and it should be eliminated permanently. Now, I am not saying you should use lethal force to defend property, but if there is any question about whether or not the intruder means you harm, then you should kill them. Always. Not injure, because an injury means they will recover, and they might want revenge, and they might want to sue, and they might go back to their dangerous ways, and you might be their victim again. So, if you feel your life is in danger, you don't take any chances.

Along those same lines, if someone threatens my life, or the life of my family, then I am going to take them at their word and act to pre-emptively end their threat. It is never ok for someone to make some stupid off-handed comment about how they plan to come back later and do harm. If they say it, I will be proactive to stop them before they get the opportunity to be sneaky. I won't be waiting around to see if they were serious or not. In my opinion, it is still self-defense, even if it is in their own bedroom! They make the threat, they get the consequences.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have killed quite a lot of people.

Usually most killers would have a tally but out of nausea, and the fact it is the biggest stain on a soul you can imagine no matter how its justified

You wish yourself dead. You curse your mom and dad for making you and hope that Jesus has indeed paid for your sins.

Because a soldier who fights for his country and kills is marked forever by it..

The only heroic thing about being a soldier is bearing the weight of your victims.

For what?

Bullcrap...

Time to unload that weight...
edit on 30-8-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
A good Taser to the chest or a 10mm to the apricot will work

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If you draw a gun or knife you better be ready to shoot them to the ground. End the threat that is all you need to think about.
During times of extrem stress you lose the ability to control fine motor functions. Careful aim and precision shooting are not an option with a handgun in these times. Yes you can still make acurate shots but dont think you will be able to get the same kind of accuracy you get on the square range. Think and train in simple terms because thats all you will be able to do when your time comes. End the threat. If you are faced with violence then you respond with the greatest amount of violence you can bring to bare. Worry about legal issues after the fact you will be alive and he wont.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join