It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CORRECT USAGE OF "YOU'RE" AND "YOUR"...... PLEASE READ IF NECESSARY!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
LOL YOR MAD

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Could you give some more pacific examples of what your saying?

It is a little annoying...what annoys me is the confusion of expression...after all, it is communication.
I do find it pedantic of people to point these things out, but then, my mother was an English teacher, and I now find myself doing it also, to other people...lol
Akushla

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
"text speak"
I am extremely pleased by the fact that ATS does permit 'txtBS.'

I started a thread several months ago, about the frequent misuse of 'Then & Than'
The main reason that those 2 words annoy me, is that they do not even sound the same, unlike most of the others mentioned in this thread.

Actual title of that thread is:
Other then that, if it where up too me, than I wood knot mined weather it happened or knot.

Regardless of the fact that I do agree with you, PerfectAnomoly, I cannot stop this urge to go ahead and offer a bit of constructive criticism. The way in which you have worded this OP, and the format (or lack thereof) that you have used, makes for a difficult read. It is poorly written, and is not user-friendly at all.

As I previously stated, I agree with you, but due to the poor format that was used, I could not even read most of your OP.

Obviously, it is too late now, but something similar to the few statements, that I had added to the bottom of my 'Then & Than' thread, may have proven to be useful.

[color=CFECEC] Disclaimer #2: I am sure I make many errors myself. As a forewarning, I do not care. This is not a slight error here and there. I first noticed this weeks ago, and it has not gone away.

Disclaimer #3: If someone has a problem with the fact that this meaningless little thing bothers me a bit, I do not care about that either. Start your own rant about me being your pet peeve. Thank You!

edit on 8/18/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Your crazy if you think that anyone is going to listen to you're rant. I believe that people shud be better ejukated though.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I love seeing threads like this...makes me smile!

I can't help but laugh at the irony of it all...your or you're...that is the question?

Well if it makes that much difference to a person when reading through a thread...the spelling is minor compared to comprehension I would say...but hey...whatever floats your boat? Or is it you're boat?

Spell check and learn to say F-it every once in awhile...it'll be okay!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The hungry ego feeds on the flaws of others

Burrrrrrp....................
edit on 18-8-2011 by deepred because: Why ? why must this be filled out ?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
Obviously, it is too late now, but something similar to the few statements, that I had added to the bottom of my 'Then & Than' thread, may have proven to be useful.

Disclaimer #2: I am sure I make many errors myself. As a forewarning, I do not care. This is not a slight error here and there. I first noticed this weeks ago, and it has not gone away.

Well, we're having fun with this. That's fine, but the reason it is so funny is because the OP made so many errors himself. Putting in a "disclaimer" may allow you to disavow your own errors, but only in your own mind. Such a tactic reduces such a rant to a "Do as I say, not as I do" statement. You may not care, but you're being laughed at and effectively being labeled a hypocrite. It reduces your credibility and it lessens the impact of your corrections. (I know: You don't care.) For the record, I realize OP did not issue any disclaimers, at least at first.

I'm personally more in favor of a descriptive approach to language rather than a prescriptive approach. (FYI: That's the big difference between the second and third editions of the unabridged Webster's dictionaries.) Language changes. People who deny that wind up looking pretty nerdish. New words find their way into the language. Old words fall out of favor. that's okay, or OK, or O.K. It happens. Read Shakespeare. No! Read Chaucer!

Having said all that, the fact is that you, and the OP, and I are actually on the same wavelength. We agree. Language does matter. Grammar does matter. And although I'm pretty easy on typos, spelling does matter. It's an indication of how well you've learned your lessons, how well educated you are, and how well and precisely you communicate. The folks who claim it "doesn't matter" are wrong.

I was a computer programmer in another life. If you substitute a comma for a semi-colon, the rocket crashes. The difference between the two does matter. In one, you are employed; in the other, you are not. (Did I do that correctly?)

I must say, OP is taking his beating pretty well.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Seriously, who cares...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
i dont take grammatical advice from people who post thread titles in CAPS!!!!!!!LOOK@ME!!!!!!!!!!

ur crazy

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

You must have a great view from your glass house. As others have pointed out, no lack of errors in your self-righteous diatribe.

Just letters on a screen man, the messages they convey are far more important than whether or not they are arranged perfectly. You know what they mean even if they use the wrong word, and that's what matters. Don't get so hung up on something so minor.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I say "yer"
Like, Yer crazy, or Yer car has a flat tar.

It's an Appalachian thing.

am I covered?
Though in Business situations I'm a little more careful with my usage.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Ok.....I will rant some. What bothers me is when people use the word (to) instead of (too).

Example: I too want to go to the store. The person will say....I to want to go to the store (and it is wrong!)

Other than that...I am very tolerant of peoples grammar mistakes. I just think that they must be in a hurry and/or they have not learned and/or they don't care.

I really don't know why the (too - to) gets on my nerves...but it does!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The english language does not sit in stone, .... it is defined and refined by the people who use it.

What would the people of the 17th century think of the way we speak today ?? .... think us crude or retarded ?.

Today's slang and common mispellings will be found in the english classes of the morrow.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I hope that people in here learned from you're lecture. Your a gift to this site.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Blimey... ever wish you hadn't "ranted"... lol.... people, this was a rant...... I was a little angry with work at the time, a client had annoyed me.... so I ranted....

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed all the responses though, and I shall take my beating like a man, it's important to be humble in life, and to take a pasting when due and necessary..... this is how we develop and learn.... I consider myself suitably chastised....

I have learnt an important lesson.... I truly thank you all for that!

Now.... where were we...?

PA

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

your asking the wrong person my friend - im dyslexic and don't really care... although I would say its to exaggerate a point!!!???!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
Blimey... ever wish you hadn't "ranted"... lol.... people, this was a rant...... I was a little angry with work at the time, a client had annoyed me.... so I ranted....

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed all the responses though, and I shall take my beating like a man, it's important to be humble in life, and to take a pasting when due and necessary..... this is how we develop and learn.... I consider myself suitably chastised....

I have learnt an important lesson.... I truly thank you all for that!

Now.... where were we...?

PA

Your OP was a bit abrasive.... the manner in which you have since conducted yourself, in regards to the abundant chastisement, is admirable. Well played.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I apologize for this delayed response.

Originally posted by schuyler

Putting in a "disclaimer" may allow you to disavow [color=75D651]your own errors[color=FA9805](1), but [color=75D651]only in your own mind.[color=66DECA](2)
Please provide examples of these errors that you are referring to. Those disclaimers had been posted in my own thread, which was linked in my previous post. The addition of those disclaimers to the OP of that thread, was to hopefully lessen the amount of bashing comments. Those disclaimers were nothing more than a precautionary measure, to hopefully discourage trolling.

Such a tactic reduces such a rant to a "[color=75D651]Do as I say, not as I do[color=437CDE](3)" statement.
This comment, is not even remotely close to being accurate.

You may not care, but you're being [color=75D651]laughed at[color=D94AA0](4) and effectively being labeled a [color=75D651]hypocrite[color=437CDE](3). It reduces your [color=75D651]credibility[color=C18AF7](5) and it lessens the impact of [color=75D651]your corrections.[color=C4C404](6)

Show me examples of the hypocritical statements and/or comments, that you claim I have made.

In conclusion, your post is implying that I:
  • [color=FA9805](1) make many errors.
  • [color=66DECA](2) am conceited.
  • [color=437CDE](3) am a hypocrite.
  • [color=D94AA0](4) am an ignorant fool, and easy to ridicule.
  • [color=C18AF7](5) cannot be trusted.
  • [color=C4C404](6) have a very low level of intelligence.

[color=50EBEC]This may come as a surprise, but I disagree with your assessment of me. It is possible that you may be 100% correct. If you actually are, then you should have no problems providing the evidence that supports your claims.

In other words- Prove it!

• posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
    link   

Originally posted by tpg65

I think you're rant was very well written . Oh and while your in a ranting mood . How about a rant regarding the use off "off" & "of" , because i'm sick and tired off seeing these used in the wrong context.

Cheers and good luck in you're crusade

Obviously since you do not know the difference yourself I imagine a thread on this would be a big help to you. Try this ...

How about a rant regarding the use of "off & of" , because I'm sick and tired off seeing these used in the wrong context.

Whats that about pointing out the speck of wood in my eye before removing the plank in yours. I love the "Grammar Nazi" threads

Its like this people we're all human and no one is perfect at the end of the day we all make mistakes and if you live the kind of life where you get so enraged by other peoples grammatical errors on the internet then I only have two thing to say to you.......

1. You obviously have some other issues you need to be working on so do that and lay of the web for a little

2. I feel really sorry for you.

Trowa
    edit on 20/8/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add content

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join