It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something in Matthew and Luke has me puzzled

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Something I haven't seen before. But some that will be familiar with others who are Christians. I have heard the Jehovah's Witnesses were monotheistic. Since I'm Jewish I only believe in the oneness of Hashem and that He cannot be divided. But I like to see what others believe. Christians have very interesting beliefs. Not true to me but interesting.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfGod267

Don't Christians believe in the Trinity or at least One God and Three Persons? Which doesn't make sense to me but will to them. I only believe in One G-d.
Trinity is official doctrine in most churches but most Christians don't understand the orthodox version for good reason which is that it is artificial and imposed by authority. A better way of thinking of it to me is that there is one God but for some reason known only to Him, there are others (as in at least one and probably two), who are not subject to the conditions which all the rest of the beings in creation are subject to, so making them by definition gods.
I don't think creating a philosophy to rationalize it into one God for the sake of the label of monotheism is necessary or desirable and is possibly counterproductive. God having sons is Biblical, but attempting to make it literal is not good because it should be taken as an analogy since the human mind is not capable of comprehending God.
edit on 15-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Something I haven't seen before. But some that will be familiar with others who are Christians. I have heard the Jehovah's Witnesses were monotheistic. Since I'm Jewish I only believe in the oneness of Hashem and that He cannot be divided. But I like to see what others believe. Christians have very interesting beliefs. Not true to me but interesting.

The First and the Last

In numerous places in both the Old and New Testaments, God refers to Himself as "the First and the Last."15 This is also explicit in the New Testament identifiers, "Alpha and Omega," the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.16 (In several of these references, they are unquestionably references to Jesus Christ Himself.17)

In the Old Testament, we frequently encounter the letters aleph, and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. When used with a connector-bar, a maqqeph, the two-letter prefix, at-,is used as a grammatical element to indicate a direct object. There are also instances, however, where aleph tau is used as a pronoun to indicate the second person masculine singular; a hypocatastasis ("putting down underneath"), a kind of grammatical pun: "a hidden declarative implied metaphor expressing a superlative degree of resemblance."18 For example, in Zechariah 12 we find the prophecy of the Messiah's climactic appearance to Israel:

...and they shall look upon me [aleph tau] whom they have pierced... Zechariah 12:10
The untranslated aleph tau could be translated as follows:

"... and they shall look upon me, the aleph and the tau, whom they have pierced."

...in which the aleph and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet, are, thus, equivalent to the alpha and the omega in the Greek.

We also find the same untranslated letters in Genesis 1:

In the beginning God [aleph tau] created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1
This Aleph and Tau, that created the heavens and the earth, is the same Aleph and Tau whom they pierced on the wooden cross erected in Judea almost 2,000 years ago.19 And this Ultimate Nomina Sacrum is scheduled to return when He is least expected.

Amazing Biblical Discoveries

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

The First and the Last

In numerous places in both the Old and New Testaments, God refers to Himself as "the First and the Last."15 This is also explicit in the New Testament identifiers, "Alpha and Omega," the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.16 (In several of these references, they are unquestionably references to Jesus Christ Himself.17)

In the Old Testament, we frequently encounter the letters aleph, and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. When used with a connector-bar, a maqqeph, the two-letter prefix, at-,is used as a grammatical element to indicate a direct object. There are also instances, however, where aleph tau is used as a pronoun to indicate the second person masculine singular; a hypocatastasis ("putting down underneath"), a kind of grammatical pun: "a hidden declarative implied metaphor expressing a superlative degree of resemblance."18 For example, in Zechariah 12 we find the prophecy of the Messiah's climactic appearance to Israel:

...and they shall look upon me [aleph tau] whom they have pierced... Zechariah 12:10
The untranslated aleph tau could be translated as follows:

"... and they shall look upon me, the aleph and the tau, whom they have pierced."

...in which the aleph and the tau, the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet, are, thus, equivalent to the alpha and the omega in the Greek.

We also find the same untranslated letters in Genesis 1:

In the beginning God [aleph tau] created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1
This Aleph and Tau, that created the heavens and the earth, is the same Aleph and Tau whom they pierced on the wooden cross erected in Judea almost 2,000 years ago.19 And this Ultimate Nomina Sacrum is scheduled to return when He is least expected.

Amazing Biblical Discoveries

Well I'm in a rush and cannot watch the videos. But do not believe in the Trinity or G-d being divided since I believe in the Oneness of G-d. Also I can only worship G-d and no other.
Again with the verse we see them differently. We have differently beliefs as to what they mean and what the purpose are.
MT Zeh 12:10
Zeh 12:10 article
Zeh 12:10
Trinity?
Articles by Rabbi Tovia Singer
Jews for Judaism: Trinity?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfGod267

Also I can only worship G-d and no other.
I think this is as artificial a construct as the Trinity doctrine is.
Before the modern age of Judaism (post Babylonian exile) there was an understanding of various gods. For example the serpents of the magicians of the Pharaoh, and the test of fire from heaven by Elijah.
With the time to reflect on their situation, in Babylon, they decided the problem was not being strictly affiliated with the God of Moses. So after this time, Yahweh was the only God allowed to be worshipped and this is the case to this day. I offer the idea that Yahweh is a very narrow interpretation of God and should be discarded as an aberration of a very distant and possibly mythological past. Technically, Yahweh was an angel representing God and not God himself.
Now you would find that me saying that offends you but that is a learned response. Compare it to the Christians who rationalize three persons as being one person. You are subjected to exactly the same thing but don't realize it because your doctrine was crafted very thoroughly and a long time ago and by superior thinkers, but it is of equal lack of validity.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I'm not one to complain but I'm sticking to my guns. Every individual has different views on the bible and history. You, myself, NUT, and others. We can debate this all our lives and still feel confused and prideful of our beliefs. It takes a lot to look into it and see what it really means.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfGod267

I would say the capacity for pride being a factor would be higher in your situation,
I don't have a big organization of Christians against Yahweh to fellowship with and to belong to and share a tradition with. I am hanging my self out there to be the object of ridicule so I don't have anything to be proud of.
It is hard to be free of all the ideas that have been imposed on you one way or another, and to look at things objectively. Maybe it takes not belonging to anything. You seem to have an overriding desire to belong to something and so have a very hard road to truth.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I understand from you're saying. But what I have been studying tells me to be faithful and keep the commandments of my faith. As well study and be good.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join