It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We May Be Living Within A Three Dimensonal Holographic Computer Simulation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
www.nasca.org.uk... look at how far and fast our computers and video games have progressed in only twenty or thirty years. we constantly strive to re-create reality.just think what they will be like in only another fifty years! so its easy to imagine that in the far off distant future of say ten thousand years from now, humans will have developed super advanced computers so incredibly powerful, that they would be able to create a "simulated universe" that we call "our reality". they may have done this to preserve their memories within "ancestral simulations" or maybe just for entertainment purposes and here we are! perhaps the creators "us in the future" went extinct either through natural or self inflicted disaster and they "we" are dead and gone, but the "simulation machine" lives on! and is in auto pilot mode and is able to up grade itself and we are reborn over and over and history repeats itself over and over down through the ages. or maybe in this far away future there is a war on earth between the creators "us in the future" and evil aliens that invaded future earth and maybe the evil aliens defeated us and hijacked or stole or altered "the simulation machine" and have downloaded all the misery,suffering and war into our "virtual" world...
edit on 5-8-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
And maybe a monkey will fly out of my but.........! Interesting idea but one with absolutely no way of proving as of yet so endless conjecture seems pointless to me. Cool idea though.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
And maybe a monkey will fly out of my but.........! Interesting idea but one with absolutely no way of proving as of yet so endless conjecture seems pointless to me. Cool idea though.
they might fly out if they were programmed to

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Hey, Jim Carrey made it happen in Bruce Almighty. The result wasn't very pretty either.
As far as this thread goes, I really don't think we are living in a simulation. I guess it's always possible, but humans are the ones who built computers, and I seriously doubt that any type of computer in the next 50 years would even be able of simulating the universe in all it's likeness.
edit on 8/5/2011 by DivineIntervention because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Made me think of Michael Talbot:

Michael Coleman Talbot (September 29, 1953 – May 27, 1992)[1] was an American author of several books highlighting parallels between ancient mysticism and quantum mechanics, and espousing a theoretical model of reality that suggests the physical universe is akin to a giant hologram. According to Talbot ESP, telepathy, and other paranormal phenomena are real and are a product of his holographic model of reality.

Talbot's book The Holographic Universe, which has become his most popular,[4] explores the metaphysical implications that underline quantum mechanics and suggests that the universe is a hologram (metaphorically speaking). After examining the work of physicist David Bohm and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram, both of whom independently arrived at holographic theories or models of the universe, the book argues that a holographic model could possibly explain supersymmetry and also various paranormal and anomalous phenomena and is the basis for mystical experience.

Source

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
we never really touch anything,the electrons on the surface of our hands repel against the electrons of the object we think we are touching.electrons conduct heat and electricity and we perceive this as the sensation of touch...its an illusion...our five senses can only perceive of a very small fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum,the visible wavelength,most of reality is beyond our reach...its an illusion...there are billions of television,radio and cell phone signals and transmissions flying all around us and even through us constantly but they are invisible...its an illusion

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
That's the wonderful thing about this concept. The sheer number of potential theories that can arise from it never ceases to amaze me. Heck, my favorite one (most far fetched), is at the mere instant of the universe collapsing in on itself, a computer of infinite complexity can be built. The society that builds this machine, then could theoretically simulate an entire universe, with every minute detail. With this "infinite computer", the society could then run any number of simulations of their past - or even any "fantastical" universes. As such, they could effectively "live forever" within that single instant before their universe collapses.

Also, to the people who say "conjecture is pointless", I offer a bit of food for thought. My grandpa once told me, "never stop imagining the impossible. Because when you do, you lose the ability to be creative. When you stop being creative, you lose what it means to be a human."

I'm not saying "this is the way!! rawr rawr!", but what I am saying, is it's always nice to entertain a bit of impossible thought, if only to stimulate the grey matter.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed. Very unlikely but hell you never know what the hell is real anymore. I don't believe it one bit but still a good read. Good website too.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Hmmmm....

Didn't I see that in a movie once?

I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This idea totally makes sense. I'm not why there are so many negative posts.

We are so close to virtual reality now with computer games. I remember the old computer tennis games of the 1970's. I don't have much doubt in another couple hundred years (or even less) you won't be able to tell the difference between reality and a computer simulation. In fact, I think we are almost there at the present moment. (And who knows what the military has).

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It might not be so far fetched. You can see "the matrix" or as some call it the "grid". Look a clear blue sky or even a dark night sky when its clear. Notice that the sky is not pure blue or black it is made up of little colorfull dots allmost like a pixel. Now once you see that in the sky, look around and see it in every thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I love the "we can't be living in a simulation because the universe is too amazing to simulate" replies to this notion.

If you're living in a simulation, the simulation would be your reality -- it could be completely nerfed, and you'd be none the wiser.

In other words, any inaccuracies would be your reality.
edit on 8/5/2011 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
we never really touch anything,the electrons on the surface of our hands repel against the electrons of the object we think we are touching.electrons conduct heat and electricity and we perceive this as the sensation of touch...its an illusion...our five senses can only perceive of a very small fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum,the visible wavelength,most of reality is beyond our reach...its an illusion...there are billions of television,radio and cell phone signals and transmissions flying all around us and even through us constantly but they are invisible...its an illusion

right, it is the repel we feel, so what is matter then ???? well yes : the sensation of repel makes us think it is matter but there are only energy fields around ... matter is a illusion, not mass of course !
peace.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
www.nasca.org.uk...
there are more things in heaven and earth horatio than are dreamt of in your philosophy...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

S&F for critical and creative thinking. You and me and all we see (and don`t see) as a holographic simulation explains more than not. A system simulation on a subatomic level is really not difficult to imagine, especially in light of the fast-paced technoworld that we know today. We are made for our environment like a fish is made to live in water. Also we manifest our dilema in obvious ways by creating computers, revolving around systems of all types, mirroring our virtual reality with virtual reality. I think that it is fair to say that programming would also dedicate a partition of minds to limit comprehension of the "Grand Illusion".

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Thousands of years? Try about 50. Soney already has pattens on technology that would lead to this for its gaming systems.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

In a way, that is what we live in. We only see and experience what happens because our brain(that is part of this physical world decodes it in a way our body can understand. No physical thing truly exists-everything is made up of individual atoms close together. The only thing truly in existance is consciousness.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I have a horrible feeling that you may be right, blo.

My reasons are that humans repeat over and over again the same destructive behaviour.

Also, I have been studying the late afternoon/early evening sky lately and I have seen things there that may substantiate your opinion.

Here is what I always observe:

Larger creatures with open mouths (like crocs) devouring smaller creatures, some of which are doing the same.

And on several occasions I have seen faces peering down - just like kids playing their game.

Either that or I am totally nuts.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I've considered this many times, its completely plausible.
Look, in this form we are completely unsustainable, when quantum computing is perfected it will become possible to process and recreate reality. When this happens, it will be quickly decided to "take a snapshot" of the current reality and continue it within a self sustaining computer system indefinitely. Within the simulation us subjects will be none the wiser. Heres another advantage......

If we as a species want to travel enormous distances across the universe, would it not me beneficial to store "reality" on a hard drive within teraforming machinery then throw it to its desired destination. Once the teraforming machine completes its job then alters the program to recreate memories to the new planets specifications, then recreates the population (plants and animals) then releases the re-creations to restart or resume where they left off. Once the program reboots in reality the machinery self destruct or leaves to begin the process again on another planet.

Basically what I'm saying is that when quantum computing is perfected, the planet would be better off if we were to build a selfsustaining simulation and let the planet return to its natural processes,

It would be intelligent for it to self replicate on other planets as well to avoid being erased permanently in the event of complete planetary destruction. This program could also be used to maintain the population while we let the earth ecosystem repair itself, then either live with it or destroy it again only to return to simulation until the earth reboots.

Also, why do you call this simulation a hologram, it is not a hologram it is a three dimensional representation of reality where the program itself is unknowing. A hologram would be this reality simulation recreated externally of the computer system in three dimensions. Holograms would only be used it there was an observer who wanted to be able to touch or interact with the simulation in a physical way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join