It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

I just looked at some images and not sure what to believe.

I believe the situation is desperate and the refugee camps need $ but this pic annoyed me. The parent looks healthy and well fed and yet the child look malnourished.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

people care, I do...but how much money should we keep sending? Corrupt leaders steal the food and allow their own people to starve.

If they actually fixed the problem instead of putting a band AID on it...they would not be in the position.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by KISSAEA123
Not to sound cold hearted here but this is nothing really new.
I have for 30 years now constantly heard about starving Africa.
That's the problem. The world has become to desensitized to it all.
A lot of money has gone there over the years for aid but most has gone to soldiers, rebels, etc.

that is correct. look at some of the despots that are in power!

Mugabi = eating caviar while his people can't afford basic food.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Keep donating people!

The more you donate, the more bullets get bought. The more bullets that get bought, the fewer mouths to feed. The fewer mouths to feed, the more food for those who do the shooting.

You're helping stabilize the famine situation- just not in the way you'd like to think you are.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
And once again i reiterate that agencies like UNICEF UK does ensure that the money gets to those who needs it and not to the military/milita etc. Thats one of the reasons i donated to them. I would also think about this. I hope it never happens but what if it was your parents, brother, sister or son or daughter that was starving as a result of some sort of disaster. You would be begging for aid then. And i would gladly donate. At the end of the day we are all one connected, we are all family, it does not matter if the disaster is in Africa or indeed something happened in USA, Japan etc. We are all humans, we share the same basic needs, food is one of them. It is not right that a human being goes without food in the 21st century. If we are ever going to progress then we need to show humanity to others and above all compassion.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You wanna know why I don't care?
Here is an question; Why do these people who are so poor that they can't even feed themselves have 10+ children?
Thats why I don't care, if they are stupid enough to have that many kids without being able to provide for them and just expect the Western World to send them food aid then they reap what they sow.
Famine is natures answer to overpopulation.
edit on 8-8-2011 by AussiePatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
I look at the famine in Africa, and honestly, I'm done giving a damn. Why? I think we need to stop helping Africa because they REFUSE to help themselves. They sit in their mud huts all day and bang out a kid every nine months, and don't make any effort to learn anything that would help them. They just walk over to the Peace Corps tent 3 times a day and get their free food.

We've been sending them assistance constantly for decades. We send Peace Corps volunteers to teach them how to grow crops, build structures more advanced than dirt and water, dig wells, domesticate animals, etc. and they STILL cannot take care of themselves. The only conclusion is a complete unwillingness to learn.

editby]edit on 7/31/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

I have absolutely no words to express the bitterness of some people's comments regarding this topic. I am incredibly shock by some of the responses regarding this issue. I know it's your own opinion so with that I'll say that these are some of the most disgusting and saddening responses I have yet come across.
People are suffering. Kids are dying. So what if it's Africa? I understand it's happening everywhere. Nobody is saying we should only help Africa! The OP is simply posting this because for the past year Africa is suffering from its WORST drought in over 60 years!!!!!!!!! which is causing a severe hunger crisis!!

The worst drought in 60 years in the Horn of Africa has sparked a severe food crisis and high malnutrition rates, with parts of Kenya and Somalia experiencing pre-famine conditions

Famine in Africa

Grow crops? really? How do you do that when you have NO RAIN let alone with militants harassing the villages day in and day out?
It is sooo easy for you to sit in your comfortable puffy chair sipping on your crystal clear glass of water ignorantly talking about how it's all their fault that they are suffering and not even knowing the slightest reason behind it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well most of us do care.
If there was a referendum today asking to airlift all the starving to Australia and have them accepted as genuine refugees I would vote yes.
Between all the affluent nations on Earth we could save every one of them.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I do care...but not so much anymore. Its been going on for years and years and years there. Did you think its something new?

We were raising $$$ for starving dying Hundus in Bangaladesh in the 1970s...still happening. IT will never stop, many will die. And you do know that the tents are still filled with people in Haiti after that earthquake a couple years ago?

We all care...but it does no good....it will never do any good. Japan. Chile. Africa, New Zealands quake. The Tsunami a couple years back. Nothing is changing for any.

Sadly, this is the real world. I stopped trying to help raise money for Africa 20 years ago when Bruce Springsteen and MIchael Jackson were trying then.

So you see? Nothing changes. Pray for them...but move on to the next disaster...there always will be one...and the previous ones will be forgotten.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LazloFarnsworth

Yes no on ecares unless its them or their own, I mean really care.
You are 100% correct.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I was thinking about all the famines and disasters from the 1960's hippie days and thru the 70's, 80's, 90's Milleniuim and the 21 Century. I lost count of all the causes and lives we tried to save. It was SOOOO important.

The young folks here are genuinely concerned, and thats great. But, wait until they realize one event takes over the one before.

There are still foks displaced by Hurricane Katrina. And look how in a tizzy the whole world was this year with the Japan thing and the Nuke plants gonna blow. Or the oil spill in the gulf.

One or two weeks of "oh my God...what'll we do?"...and its back to normal for us. The famine in Africa? Its been going on for decades with no end in site...all over Africa. Its nice for the young ones to care and wonder why we dont....but maybe now they can get an idea.

Sadly...it really doesnt matter and the world is too busy with other things. Get wrapped up in one starving child...and 1,000 more die anyway. There will always be a new crisis and cause and famine...while those starving from the last ones....still starve...and die.

By all means, if you want, help a cause. But realize this...we've not fixed one yet in all these years.[
edit on 13-8-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Remember this. "Save the Children Fund".

We fly into a third world country and land in our helicopter and nice clothes and stand in the mud next to a sad and dirty little child and talk about how "terrible it is with the water they have to drink...and just look how bad they live"!

The kid has NO CLUE as to what going on. They LIVE there. Thats their daily way of life.... they know nothing else. And we drop in and back out to our wonderful home, cars and refridgerators full of food and the kid wonders "what in the _ _ _ _ was THAT all about?"

People need to realize that. Its the big $$$ business and "churches" doing this. That kid will be just fine if left alone with his family and life in his own country. Sponsoring a child? Forget it. The kid wont even know.

Anyway. How dare we go to their place, mud and "trash-heap" of a town and tell them how bad they have it? Its ALL THEY KNOW.

So maybe this is a good indication why we dont care about the famine in Africa. It never ends and we all dont have enough time and money to devote to it before another one comes along.

edit on 13-8-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: grammar

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

couldn't have said better myself, star.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions", this is what it's all about.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LazloFarnsworth

Can see your viewpoint, but if only one life is saved, isn't that enough?
If it were you or your loved ones?
And perhaps after you were saved from starvation you got accepted as a refugee?
And you had a good life?
Would you say oh it was a waste of time because famine will never end?
I think we all have to bring it back to that.
All life is sacred, and not just when a problem can be solved?
Not judging you or anyone , thats just what i believe,

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I do agree with you wholeheartedly. And even one saved is well worth it. I was just explaining how we've become jaded these days somewhat. There is always something new thats terrible and horrendous. It will never end. And you cant save everyone and their cause. Thats not to say we shouldnt try. I myself volunteer.

Any good I can do? I feel in a small way, Im helping. Once in the 1960's we thought we could change the world. We just didnt realize how big it was, and that the problems and new crisis's would double and triple in size, frequency and strength.

Sometime, it appears we're lost. But I wont give it that. Change one thing each day, help one person, do one good deed un-asked for every single day.

If we all did that...we'd change the world. Peace

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Exactly. We have to try and do something. One ripple in a pond will become a giant ripple and then becomes a wave. We all share the same planet at the end of the day. It is our home. We have no where else to go. So we must all try and pull together and help those who need help. At the end of the day we all all related to one another, we are all family.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Ah...you're American.

Now it makes sense.

The country where more people have Facebook profiles than passports.

Ahh, so you must be from England right - the country with...

No sunshine, alcoholics and bad teeth.

Seriously, what does a persons' nationality have to do with the issue?

Score another point for bashing America - stick it in whenever you can I guess right?

edit on 16/8/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join