It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Set to sink decoys....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The US Navy has gotten permission to sink 2 dummy vessels a year in the Gulf of Alaska for training purposes.

The Navy has obtained authority to blast and sink as many as two real ships a year in the Gulf of Alaska over the next five years to give pilots and gunners authentic targets for their sights. Read more: www.adn.com...

The problems this could bring in the way of environmental hazards could be another chip away at the native claims that such activity scares away their whales. As whaling is a tradition and a subsistence issue. This could also be a hazard in the way that there is a lot of fishing and crabbing done here...they would have to time this activity just right as to not interfere. Seems more trouble than its worth if you ask me. Considering the amount of traffic Alaska waters have in general.

Source

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Castogere

Let's litter our lovely waters even more!!! Let's spend millions on this stupid project also!!! Let's not worry about the issues at hand like the fall of the dollar, or should I say the U.S.A. at this point??

Man isn't there anyone who gives a crap about spending pointless dollars out there?? The first lady even spends half a million to go to Africa....President is golfing 360 days out of the year....spending billions on pointless wars.....I digress

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Where do you see millions of dollars being spent? They will tow the ship out and it will be hit with a few harpoons. Will cost slightly more than a normal exercise, and the ship will be drained of fuel and anything else. This will be a valuable training opportunity and might actually save money by eliminating the expense of keeping the ships mothballed.

Seriously, what is the issue?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Melting ice caps are the reason 6 different countries are vying for a position in what arctic waters might yield to oil wise. This would make a good cover for expanded Navy Operations in the Arctic. Only because there is SO MUCH marine traffic here, the ships themselves would go largely unnoticed.

There has been an accelerated military presence here in the North as well as consolidation of the military up here. Not to mention lots of unmarked white government planes with FEMA taking over the old Air Guard base at the International airport.

SO your right....this whole maneuver environmental and native issues aside really means nothing...with no real implications of anything...Did I mention they're also adding more interceptor missiles to the missile defense shield up here?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
why not sink those things where it could build reefs or act as a hurricane or erosion barrier?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Oh NO, not FEMA again!!!? So we should be scared of unmarked planes which do not carry weapons? And there is another FEMA camp being prepared? Just like the one in Indiana or wherever that is actually an Amtrak repair shop.

And I would sure as heck HOPE they are putting more interceptor missiles where they are useful.

Please explain to me why there would be a news article like this if it was a cover up to prepare for some kind of arctic war? Sinking your own ships is a brilliant military strategy, isnt it? If this is a cover story, why would they even need one? Why not just move everything without telling the world?

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
Oh NO, not FEMA again!!!? So we should be scared of unmarked planes which do not carry weapons? And there is another FEMA camp being prepared? Just like the one in Indiana or wherever that is actually an Amtrak repair shop.

And I would sure as heck HOPE they are putting more interceptor missiles where they are useful.

Please explain to me why there would be a news article like this if it was a cover up to prepare for some kind of arctic war? Sinking your own ships is a brilliant military strategy, isnt it? If this is a cover story, why would they even need one? Why not just move everything without telling the world?

Nooooooo! Don't pull the logic card, it upsets the whole conspiracy thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Must have lots of money just to throw away and pollute the sea even more.

Good show old chaps.

top topics

join