It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 things your kids may never know about

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Thats so true though i am 21 now but remember most of those things on the list

when i was yourng cellphones didn't exsist well maby those large weird brick things
computers were big and bulky very few people had them floppy disc were how you stored things
video tape were the way we watched movies

and when we wanted to record stuff of the raido you would fill the gaps at the top with tissue and tape

ahh gone of the days ask a 10 year old what a video, or tape casseste they would proberly have no idea what your talking about

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
Get over yourselves. Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care if my kids may never know about any of those 100 things. Why? Because this happens every generation of human. My parents know about 100 things in their generation that I don't know about. It is not about the past. It is about today. Learn, know, and care about inventions today.

Actually this isn't true. The amount of things that are different between a parent and a kid these days is on such a different scale from even 200 years ago (and how many generations were there before that?). It's just that *we* are so conditioned and used to change by never living in a world that didn't change much of genuine significance to day to day life... just between parent and child.

We live in a very unique time to be human... and it's going to be fascinating to watch this acceleration continue (perhaps to a whole new state of being) or stall out.

This sort of fundamental difference between the generations is unheard of (hell I even hear older siblings say it about younger siblings sometimes now). Older generations really do begin to genuinely be "aliens" in their home land.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Man, I'm only 29 and I remember most of that stuff :p Heck, I still have half of that stuff. For instance, I still have a rotary phone in my kitchen, no joke. (and no caller ID either, obviously) And why are VCRs on that list? I use those all the time. Now, putting Beta VCRs on the list, I could see that, but in all seriousness, don't people still use VHS to record things?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Man, I'm only 29 and I remember most of that stuff :p Heck, I still have half of that stuff. For instance, I still have a rotary phone in my kitchen, no joke. (and no caller ID either, obviously) And why are VCRs on that list? I use those all the time. Now, putting Beta VCRs on the list, I could see that, but in all seriousness, don't people still use VHS to record things?

Hate to break it to you... but you fall into the *parent* age group in this poll.

Namaste!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Do you think they will ever learn what a shovel is ??
Reel to reel tape players.
Pong ?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Omni magazine. That brings me back....wow. All the fun and crafts for kids.. at least i was a kid and did the crafts. Helped me get into science and tinkering. Thanks op

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
just a few things that came to mind when reading the article:

9. Vinyl records. Even today’s DJs are going laptop or CD.

The Collector's edition of bioshock 2, as an example, contained a "Vinyl 180g LP with the original BioShock’s orchestral score".
link

adding to that:

13. Scanning the radio dial and hearing static between stations.

My dad bought a 'radio' fairly recently that is new technology which still has a radio like that and can play records like the one mentioned above.

13. 3-D movies meaning red-and-green glasses.

while I haven't tried it myself (don't have the glasses) and neither have I watched a 3D movie (the new ones) , games like Minecraft and Track Mania have a 3D option that uses those glasses.. and I do believe the writer means red-and-blue... unless this is from even before my childhood.

23. DOS

DOS games are still out there and being soled.
example

32. Joysticks.

kidding, right ? example
and I'm fairly sure some people (including kids) who like flight simulators still use them.

40. Shopping only during the day, Monday to Saturday.

Many kids still grow up with this. Going to the mall with the parents for example.

44. Filling out an order form by hand, putting it in an envelope and posting it.

This site sends a catalog every x months which has an order form like that at the back of it.

65. Using a stick to point at information on a wallchart.

Still done during presentations in class.

66. Pay phones.

Our country is filled with them.

67. Vacuum cleaners with bags in them.

You mean those things pretty much every household I know has?

70. Taking turns picking a radio station, or selecting a tape, for everyone to listen to during a long drive.

Wait.. you mean it's bad that kids like the same music these days and don't have to take turns picking ?

73. Actually going down to a Blockbuster store to rent a movie.

Those are still popular.

87. Swimming pools with diving boards.

Am I missing something? A lot of pools still have this.

93. Looking out the window during a long drive.

I spy with my little eye something starting with a ...

95. Cash.

Another one of those 'many still use it'.

99. A physical dictionary — either for spelling or definitions.

Still needed for some stuff during class, even exams.

Sure a lot of those things are gone (luckily) or will be, but ye.. I can't believe I spent time replying.
edit on 23/7/11 by LanceDH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
I remember my son asking me if the world was black and white when I was a kid.

That made me laugh, because my son asked me the SAME THING!

"Yes, son, we just invented color in the past few years..."

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What bothers me is the "luxuries" or modern technology.
And how much people today rely on things that weren't here a decade ago.

I will be the first to say that I feel sorry for today's kids.
Everything is produced today to make life easier. Well, more lazy I say.

Think about how much running around a person did without a cell phone.
Or how much actual work was done around the house to keep things in order.

Now it seems that kids don't know what hard work is.
They break a sweat and complain that it's "slavery".
Almost spoiled beyond belief.

But that's the cons of modern conveniences.
Kids won't know what life was like before them.
So as the time progresses, they get more lazy.
Then think of ways to make it even easier.

Which in turn leads to larger, more robust waist lines.

I know a 10 year old that complained about rolling a window down in a car.
Rolling a window.
Too much work.

Wow.

Remember when dial up was 4800bps?
Broadband wasn't even within the decade yet.
I remember alot of things that aren't used today.
And I despise lazy people.

Video games?
Yeah right!
More like go outside and climb a tree or build a tree house!
Or dig a hole to China!
Activity!

I swear my generation was that last of the workers.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Does anyone else remember saving your computer programming work onto a cassette tape? The recorder plugged into the computer (we used the Tandy from Radio Shack) and it took FOREVER just to save a simple program.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I wonder if my kids will ever have a feeling of privacy. How familiar will they be with hunger and if they will be able to take water for granted. How often will they be able to leave their ID on the table or be searched randomly or Tazed for looking suspicious

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
Does anyone else remember saving your computer programming work onto a cassette tape? The recorder plugged into the computer (we used the Tandy from Radio Shack) and it took FOREVER just to save a simple program.

I never did this myself, but I can remember seeing my dad do that on an old VIC-20 computer we had when I was about 4 years old. To this day, the best version of Space Invaders I have ever seen was for that system...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
gosh, I remember when a "proper" computer setup required a whole room. rgb/vga monitor and a monochrome. a seperate table to handle the massive printer, and tons of shelves to house the thousands of floppy disks. mouse, joysticks, trackballs, etc... huge boxes of paper feeding into the printer. binders full of software instructions.

I remember when we were gonna upgrade our computer with a 20mb harddrive. that was HUGE in the old days. the os and most of the better software could fit on that. nowadays you're lucky to squeeze two mp3s outta that same space.

we used to play dungeon master on our computer and take turns mapping out the game on actual graph paper. I don't know if they even sell that anymore. atari and amiga people used to be at war over who was the best, meanwhile the eventual "ibm compatible" wasn't even out yet. computers and video games were very much nerdy and niche back then. now kids can be ranked within the top 20 in the world at call of duty and have no clue how the inner workings of thier favorite electronics tick. in the old days you had to know cause half your games only worked with one set memory versus another.

also, I remember the tailend of the rotary channel tuning. I had an old portable set I rigged up with my tg-16 innards modded inside. I thought that was amazing back then.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
we used to play dungeon master on our computer and take turns mapping out the game on actual graph paper. I don't know if they even sell that anymore.

My brother and I used to play Dungeon Master. I can't believe how long ago that was on reflection

I remember playing Oregon Trail during school recess sometimes, on those big ol' house sized computers, popping in the giant floppys

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
They missed a couple of fun things.

The M80 firecracker (do they still make cherry bombs?)
A homemade 'Polish cannon' that works. (Empty steel Coke cans taped together to launch tennis balls by igniting the old formula of Zippo lighter fluid aerated inside). Great fun lost to our youth protected by the PC police.
Metal toys that shoot things, like tanks and robots, not beebee guns.
Yard darts

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Add school recess to that list. All the schools around here have removed all the play ground stuff and paved the areas into parking lots.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

Haha, my nephew asked him mum the same thing one day. She nearly smashed the car with laughing.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

I still have the Tandy cassette deck and patch cables here somewhere. I think it is in the old foot locker down stairs.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I just cant get over how fast everything is changing. I remember getting my first walkman for a birthday. I went out and bought a cassette tape single. I thought I was the coolest thing going. I would keep rewinding and playing that same cassette over and over until the ribbon broke lol.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Does no-one remember when the street were full of kids playing from morning till night? You only went home when it was tea-time. Now it's just cars out there and the kids are in the house. That's the biggest change.

<< 1    3 >>

join