It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 things your kids may never know about

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
We live in a world now where everything needs to be faster and smaller than its predecesor. Things we used as children or teens virtually no longer exist. We were doing some cleaning in our house and I came across some old records that I had. My daughter asked me what those were, and I told her they played music. Her response, how does that fit into the computer or ipod. She is 5 and she already understands what an ipod is lol.

So today I saw this article and thought that it would be fun to post it, and take a trip down memory lane to see how many of these things we used or at least know what they are. It is a pretty safe bet that our kids today will never use any of these things or even know what they are.

shopping.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
We live in a world now where everything needs to be faster and smaller than its predecesor. Things we used as children or teens virtually no longer exist. We were doing some cleaning in our house and I came across some old records that I had. My daughter asked me what those were, and I told her they played music. Her response, how does that fit into the computer or ipod. She is 5 and she already understands what an ipod is lol.

So today I saw this article and thought that it would be fun to post it, and take a trip down memory lane to see how many of these things we used or at least know what they are. It is a pretty safe bet that our kids today will never use any of these things or even know what they are.

shopping.yahoo.com...

Good post!I especially remember the modem screeching sound, I also remember using tapes to make a mixtape from cd's, rewinding videotapes.

I really liked the : "Libraries as a place to get books rather than a place to use the internet."

S&F
edit on 22-7-2011 by spaceshrimp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I remember my son asking me if the world was black and white when I was a kid.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

That is priceless. I love when kids say things like that, it totally makes me smile and laugh, even if I am having a bad day.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

I know, it cracks me up some of the things they come out with.
I use to love the look on they're face's when I told about how we had to use an outside toilet.
Or that there was only 3 TV channels, and you had to actually get up, and walk all the way to the TV turn the channel over.

edit on 22-7-2011 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Get over yourselves. Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care if my kids may never know about any of those 100 things. Why? Because this happens every generation of human. My parents know about 100 things in their generation that I don't know about. It is not about the past. It is about today. Learn, know, and care about inventions today.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

My friends kid asked him "daddy whats an arcade?" We felt a little older that day.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
Get over yourselves. Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care if my kids may never know about any of those 100 things. Why? Because this happens every generation of human. My parents know about 100 things in their generation that I don't know about. It is not about the past. It is about today. Learn, know, and care about inventions today.

This is a fun thread don't be such a wet blanket.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You should get over yourself.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Protostellar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I often tell people, my dad had the first TV remote on our block.

It was called, "hey boy".

He'd say, "HEY BOY, change the station!" I'd get up an go turn the knob to the other station . We got two back then.

When I was 13, he got me a "portable-transister" radio. It had six transisters and could fit into my pocket.

It had a single ear plug, about the size of your thumb. From somewhere I got another earplug and tied them together on each end of a piece of a coathanger to make a "stereo head set".

I still have this stuff some where.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Yeah I know the tech changes for every generation, but I just thought it would be fun to post this. I have a kid and to me it is very interesting to see how the technology at their finger tips is so different than it was when I was a kid.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

My son asked me what it was like to live with dinosaurs.

I told him "I don't know, go ask your grandma."

I have had a kid in the house that can't operate an ice tray. It was kind of funny, but so so sad. And my bus driving neighbor complained college kids can't tell the difference between clockwise or counterclockwise. The ones that aren't sure check their digital watches for clues.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

Its crazy how we take such simple tasks and phrases for granted. I never really thought about the term clockwise until you mentioned it. Your right though that term is pretty much obsolete now that everything we have that tells time is digital now.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

U mad, bro?

There's nothing wrong with a little nostalgia every now and again.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I look at things now like mobiles,ipods,internet & things like that remember a time when they were not around,everywhere you go now teens are on mobiles,just HAVE to be near it,panic sets in if it's more than a metere away.
walking to your friends house to see if he wants to go out playing football,no instant messengers or anything,28k modems screeming,8 bit games,sending letters by post.

just a lost world,teens i know laugh when i tell of a world without mobiles.

oh a simpler time

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

take this from a guy who is a teenager in these times. I know alot about the "outdated" things, mostly because i believe in keeping the old ways alive through time. But i know kids that don't know about records, or any of those things. It is sad that most people do not know their history.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I was in the car with my 7 year old niece and we got stopped behind a school bus while about a zillion kids piled out, I said - "I feel like I'm watching one of those ads/contests where you see how many people can fit inside a phone booth"

She said - "What's a phone booth"?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Heres one thing thats going away that I think is kinda sad.
New standards don't require students to learn cursive writing
www.indystar.com...|mostcom

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Yeah I remeber reading about that. The simple act of learning how to write is eventually going to obsolete. Now all you need to know is be able to type on a keyboard.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

I used to have so much fun at the arcade. I would blow my allowance on Gauntlet, Out Run, Pac-man, and some pinball game I dont remember the name of. Every weekend the arcade was the place to be for me and my friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join