It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive ice island drifts toward Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

In fact, by volume, 91% of an iceberg (or, in this case, an ice island) is below the water level.

So, what we see of this "island" is only about a tenth of its actual size. Considering, then, the vast volume that we see above water, it's no surprise that they expect it to bottom out far from shore, long before it reaches any coast. I didn't see where it is currently, or where it's heading, specifically, but, if it tried to cross the Grand Banks, I bet it would get stuck there. That area's barely more than 300 feet deep at most, and less than 100 feet in some spots. I don't think Newfoundland has anything to worry about.
edit on 22-7-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I live in Newfoundland so if anything major happens I will let you guys know !

There is no talk about this whatsoever on the news, that's what I love about ATS .

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Anon and Lulzsec and the Pirate bay should all move there and host their servers from it, Piracy legislation and government threats wouldent be an issue

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

True, but I was replying to the poster that said it didn't look 3 miles wide..

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Hopefully it doesn't come for Newfoundland

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I know... only the first sentence was in reply to you, and it wasn't even really a reply to you, it was more just a continuation of what you were saying. In more detail.

The point is, really, that it will never make it to the coast. It's a huge chunk of ice, and the area around Newfoundland is one of the shallowest areas you'll find in the Atlantic.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

It's unlikely the ice island will get too close to shore because it would probably be "grounded" — meaning it would touch the bottom of the ocean — before reaching the coast, Hache said. Nonetheless, it could interfere with shipping lanes and possibly threaten some offshore oil rigs, he said.

Source

Theres a huge oil rig off the coast of Newfoundland... I think this what they're worried about. It's called Hibernia Like we need anymore oil in the Ocean
edit on 22-7-2011 by lisaloeb1214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lisaloeb1214

Yep, that's what the people who know what they're talking about are worried by... the possible interference with shipping and whatnot. What I'm trying to do is stem the inevitable tide of people who don't know what they're talking about, who think this "ice island" could hit and devastate the coast somewhere.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Yep, that's what the people who know what they're talking about are worried by... the possible interference with shipping and whatnot. What I'm trying to do is stem the inevitable tide of people who don't know what they're talking about, who think this "ice island" could hit and devastate the coast somewhere.

Oooooh ok, ya hopefully everything stays O.K. in the Atlantic, most of my family are there and some make a living from fishing. The oil would be devastating

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I can see the Atlantic from my house. Technically, I guess, the Atlantic surrounds the island my house is on. I wish the ice island would head my way... I'd love to see how Brier Islanders would react to a chunk of ice floating by that's bigger than the island they're on. Sometimes, we all need something to kick our ego trip.
edit on 22-7-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

It would be really cool to see! Where my parents are from they get a lot of icebergs and actually use the ice from them for coolers etc. Iceberg ice makes a great drink chiller

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Excuse my ignorance.......Could there be stranded polar bears on an ice island the size of Manhattan, afloat in the sea? Have I been watching too many wild life commercials? Won't the cold fresh water effect or alter the major ocean currents.

What about the dangers of it breaking apart, creating rogue ice bergs? Isn't that VERY likely? Couldn't that cause all kinds of trouble. Do they have sophisticated equiptment to track ice bergs for shipping lane safety?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I'm not really sure but if there were polar bears I'm sure they would have been spotted by now. They have been monitering this for awhile. Also Twillingate Newfoundland is known as the iceberg capital of the world so they are definatly use to them. If it broke apart it would actually be a good thing! I think the major problem is if it hits oil rigs. I don't think shipping lanes would b badly effeceted because the thing is so huge you would not miss it.

The fresh cold water wont be a problem because they normally get lots of icebergs they just usually break apart and don't stay that size

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yes indeed, if it hit an oil rig, that wouldn't be pretty! I hope they have a contigancy plan, just in case.

It still occurs to me that this event would somehow effect the local wildlife, good or bad. I don't know. Change of bird patterns, fish patterns. Seals, Bears. Just saying..

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Tow it to africa with a few tugboats and use it for drinking water..

save the world

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Wow thats a big chunk of ice.

I had no idea about this,thanks OP.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This would be incredible to see via Satellite.
Deft needs to be recorded for the history books.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
that going to be one might bang when it hits the coast

More than likley not.

Most likely the bottom will be stuck in the mud or land around the shores before it can make any contact with mainland civilization (constructed shore lines). There it can remain until it melts away.

I would definitely like to drink few thousand years old pure water
After all its a big business with the Vodka and Gin industry. Hell the Canadian Government should push it to the shore and setup a tourist attraction for everyone and they can also chip away few pounds of the ancient ice for their personal use for a nominal fee. All the money generated should be used for canadian wild life preservation.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
if some of the water froze in this ice island is 7000yrs old cudnt it have micro orginisims dangerouse to us?

like if some influenza type virus was locked in the ice

and if they towed it to east africa wudnt it harm the people more?...or is that the plan

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
With the current heat wave hitting the US, I have to say that watching videos of massive epic pieces of ice sure does help my mind think of cold things.

Thank you for the refreshing reminder that "cold" exists somewhere on Earth still.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join