It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job search freak out thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm so pissed I'm laughing. Oh my god. I just applied to a local Toys R Us and it turns out that during the course of taking their Assessment Test I was sent an email telling me that I was not eligible to be hired at this time. FOR AN OPEN POSITION!!!!!!!!!!

I want to smash the face of whomever thought it a bright idea to do things like this to unemployed people. I would rather get no reply than a denial WHILE I'm in the middle of applying and WASTING MY TIME AND ENERGY ON THEIR BS TEST!!!

These tests are great. Walmart, Best Buy, Target (who denied me last week but took two days to send the email), you name the company and they have these Unicru Psychological Examinations to make sure your sorry self is psychotic enough to feel no pain, agony, sadness, boredom, forgetfulness, unquestioning faith in the system, anger, or any other range of human emotion that does not fall into the I Smile From Ear-to-Ear and Have No Worries and Never Question Anything category. I even lie on the damn things because that's the only way to get the job. Most people do. The kicker to this being that you have to say that YOU'RE NOT A LIAR. If you can pass these tests without lying one iota then goddam it you need to write a book and tell us how to live our lives because 99.999999999999% of the world's population have experienced anger/sadness/forgetfulness in their lifetimes.

I need a beer.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

I agree with you. I spent a while sending an online application for a local supermarket, literally 1 second after I sent it, I got an email saying I didn't get the position.

I suppose I should of lied and say I smile all the time, no matter the circumstances. Pssh, I'm an honest person and I hate lying to get somewhere. What I also find funny is, when you do actually go into a supermarket etc, hardly any of them are smiling and 'on top of the world'

edit on 20/7/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Don't just drink one beer, drink the whole case. Sounds like you need it.

I know its sounds cliche and dumb right now but don't despair keep looking.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by anon102

I agree with anon, keep looking. That's what I plan on doing, no matter how depressing it is getting at the moment ...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Delete your social networking account(s)... Employers check that bull crap these days...

The "social networks" are only there to spy on you anyways... DELETE IT

Does it say why you arent eligible for the positions?

Ugh thats bad when you cant even get a job at China(Wal) Mart... or Toys R Made in China

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I agree 100% truthfully I have put in well over 500 applications in the last couple years and haven't even so much as recieved a call back. Luckily my wife is employed and I am able to keep money in our household by doing sidejobs as a mechanic.

If I didn't have the years of experience as a mechanic under my belt.... well let's just say I'm glad I do otherwise the pickens would be mighty slim....

I hope you find employment soon and that your situation gets better for you.

Just try no matter how hard it is to stay upbeat and positive, for your own sake and peace of mind.

Matt
edit on 7/20/2011 by XJMatt because: (no reason given)

link   

Wow. All I can say is I'm glad I won't be seeing one of your profanity-laced tirades at the local Toys R Us store. Maybe you should consider a position where you won't be around children. Or people.

link   
I know a friend of a friend that works for Costco, try applying there. I heard its somewhat a step up from regular retail minimum wage paying jobs.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Wow. All I can say is I'm glad I won't be seeing one of your profanity-laced tirades at the local Toys R Us store. Maybe you should consider a position where you won't be around children. Or people.

Profanity.... Hmm??

The closest I see to profanity is "Pissed" and "BS"... Unless you are including "LIAR" being profane

Maybe you should consider a position that doesnt involve reading, or thinking

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Those types of tests are, I think, to specifically weed out anybody over about 25 or so. I mean, who over the age of 25 or 30 doesn't have a major life regret? What person over about that age has a relatively carefree life or is still so green that they're almost always positive?

I think there are several reasons why:

What mature adult is going to put up with their 22 year old, pimply-faced shift supervisor telling them off? What mature adult is going to put with the, frankly, lazy management style that is so common in retail and not pose a serious threat to the status quo?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I used to work at toys R us. I worked in the back, I made forts and rode tricycles all day... but it was only seasonal.

Anyways Ive been unemployed for some time now. in Canada, its so bad that my friend that went to university and college just got a job at subway after looking for 4 months.

all the mid tier educated people are getting all the bottom tier jobs. and all the bottom tier educated people like me are f'd
edit on 20-7-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I used to get annoyed but after a while you just start to see life like this as I now do...

Life is a lot more funnier if you take it less seriously

Chin up and good luck with finding something shortly!

edit on 20-7-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I would have to disagree because I'm not even 21 and I get the exact same thing as that.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

So maybe you're mature for your age? I only know that I've taken those tests several dozen times, and a lot of the questions that I see sound like they could only ever apply to kids.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Might I suggest the construction industry? Great pay. On the job training and education. Decent hours. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Only draw back, it's hard work at first, but once you move up, it gets easier.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I feel your pain. I recently went through the same mess with a hour long questionair for employment with DISH NETWORK ,at 1am I completed the app. at 1:20 am I received a email saying i wasnt worthy. Its kinda funny see how the installer that hooked up my dish couldnt even speak proper english.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I do get told that a hell of a lot.

Anyway, I would say I'm "middle tier" in the educational hierarchy and to tell you the truth I feel like everything I did is a complete waste of time. It's gotten me nowhere, at the moment I'm trying to increase my chances by doing voluntary work for a charity, 36 hours a week. Thankfuly, it's only a 5 minute walk away ...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

You miss the point entirely.
edit on 7/20/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Delete your social networking account(s)... Employers check that bull crap these days...

The "social networks" are only there to spy on you anyways... DELETE IT

Does it say why you arent eligible for the positions?

Ugh thats bad when you cant even get a job at China(Wal) Mart... or Toys R Made in China

I don't use any of those.

It said this:

We have received your application for the position of TOYS"R"US - ASSEMBLER-17723. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider your application at this time. However, we will retain your candidate profile in the database and may contact you if your qualifications match any future job opportunities.

Why I cannot be considered is beyond me. A trained monkey could put a bike together. It's easy. I just don't have any work experience with bikes.

I had job at Walmart until June of last year. I was fired for "insubordination" because I thought that an associate I supervised deserved a fifty cent raise over a fourty cent raise. He worked himself hard and was always doing something. This manager didn't even know his name half the time and still thought he knew how to rate his work. Well, my manager didn't like it that I stood up for him and terminated my employment. I worked for them for two-and-a-half years and worked my way up from being a lowly unloader to being the top guy in the back on my shift. They made my life hell there, let me tell you. Now, they're probably screwing me out of jobs left and right.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat, it's rough out there man.

I've got 6 years experience in my field, and after being laid off a little more than a year ago, I still have not found anything.

I've probably applied to over 400-500 jobs, and I've had TWO interviews. TWO. I'm not even being picky anymore, I'm applying to ANYTHING. Retail, customer service, construction, janitorial, anything at all. If I can't get a job in the field I've been working for 6 years, why would I get a job doing something I've never done before?

It sucks... big time. In my younger days I could apply to literally 3 jobs, get 3 interviews, 2 job offers, and then be able to pick the best one. This was the case several times in the past. Now, hundreds upon hundreds of applications, and two stinking interviews, and not a single job offer.

I do some random stuff here and there for money, but I need a real job. I need dental and medical insurance. I haven't been to the dentist in over 6 years, I have 3 cavities, I have not been to the doctor in about 4 years, I've got several minor things I'd like taken care of.

I really hope things turn around, and quick, or else I may be forced to get back into "alternative" means of making money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join