It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random Memories That Show Up Unexpectedly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
So, I'm a little goofy this morning - I really need some sleep - so I'm gonna go right after I post this

Interesting how the brain works when you're really tired...

Couple of things running through my mind here

From elementary school - am, is, are, was, were, do, does, did, has, have, had, be, being, been, shall, should, can, could, will, would, may, might, must - linking verbs

Amazing how you can remember stuff like that many years after the fact - for no apparent reason - it just pops into your head while you're getting coffee.

Another thing, and this is what I really wanted to share. I dont know if it can be found online (probably can) but its something I memorized back in 1988 if my memory serves (I generally suck with names, faces, and dates, surely it was no later than 90 though) - I don't want to look it up - because I want to type it from memory. I totally forgot about it till this morning, I don't know why it came to me.

So here goes - up front - I can't take credit for it - only for the memorization

The Shaman rises with the sun
- technology unrisen still
And gathers to him bead and bone
- and feathers from a hallowed kill
And packs them in a leather pouch
- worn thin and supple over ages
Gifts of holies there before him
- ancient wise ones, mystics, mages
And chanting low the sacred sounds
- of wind and fire and air and earth
Calls back the knowledge he was given
- even long before his birth
Then dressing in the holy skins
- the rare white fur of bear
First held aloft, and softly offered
- to the gods of life in prayer
Takes to his breast a totem
- of teeth and claw and clay
Which came from sacred mountains
- where all his kin now lay
The eagle comes, as does the hawk
- like moths to meet the flame
Drawn to a time of power
- drawn to know its name
The runes are cast, the future spread
- in symbols at his feet
Not spared the revelation
- with vision so complete
The Shaman wept to see the worlds
- nuclear waste and swill
And wept again to know he'd seen
- Just man and his free will.
Rise up oh man before the sun
- and gather bead and bone
And call back to you hawk and eagle
- lest you find yourself alone.

I believe the authors initials were A.K. - Pen name "Lambert"
it won one of those poetry contests from the National Library of Poetry, printed on pg 1 (I'm in the book too, mine sucked though
)

So share with me - what have you memorized that randomly pops into your head? I'm sure I triggered something
♥ will be back later to see ♥

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think the human brain is far better at memory storage than we sometimes give it credit for. There does not appear to be any established maximum storage capacity for the human brain - estimates range from somewhere between 1 to 100 terabytes of information. However much, I would not be surprised if it is one day discovered that the brain has a near limitless capacity for memories. We may one day discover a way to access all of the brain, at will. Like Eddie Spinola in the novel, Limitless.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Maskirovka

thanks for the reply

looks like we're the only ones with memories though you didn't share one of yours

oh well, dead thread
worth a shot ♥

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Star and flag for a very interesting post. Don't know why but it reminded me of a very weird dream I was having. Don't know what it was or what it had to do with but I was learning things that I think my beloved was thinking about. But right now for the life of me I can't remember anything except for the air head soda pop in my dream and the weird roller coaster o,o All I know is it was weird.

new topics

top topics

join