It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herman Cain: Communities have right to ban mosques

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Terrible thing to consider, that we must ban a religion, but the reality can't be dismissed that religion is being used to engage in conquest.

Do we allow our belief in freedom of religion be allowed to create a wedge that might destroy all that we believe in?

Well I don't see it as a way to destroy all that we believe.
Everyone has different beliefs, a lot of the time, they won't align.

There will be wars based around the beliefs of religion and the obvious answer most would give, would be to abolish all religion.
While I am a fan of this notion, I know that it isn't practical.
There are far too many people either willingly choosing to worship one ideology or another, and there are others that are so engrained with religion, they know no other life.

It will come down to Education and Tolerance. There will always be religion in one form or another.

There is no simple answer, but those who wish to be free of it, should be allowed to be.
So as what I said previously, if it is required that Communities are made with the banning of religion in mind is what is needed... Then that is what will need to be done.

So those that wish to be free of Religion can seek these like minded communities.
For those who wish to be with fellow Christians, Islamic or Buddhist, should then be able to find similar communities to enjoy that way of life.
It would be a lot more harmonious than the hodge-podge of what there is now.
edit on 18/7/2011 by Sovaka because: More to the post - See from "Then that is what will need to be done"

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Terrible thing to consider, that we must ban a religion, but the reality can't be dismissed that religion is being used to engage in conquest.

Do we allow our belief in freedom of religion be allowed to create a wedge that might destroy all that we believe in?

YES.

America is built on freedom of/from religion. We don't pick and choose.

Living in fear of something that might happen - - - is debilitating.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Often times, the way forward is hard to determine, but we must be willing to embrace the courage to seek the right decisions.

We have a right to defend our way of life, and sometimes that means doing things that we wish we did not have to do.

I wish I could conceive of better solutions.

the only thing I know at this point is to engage in the debate, because I care about the future.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
reply to post by SeventhSeal

So it took 4 pages before someone brought up the Race card.

This has nothing to do with Race... Go away.

What are you talking about? Herman Cain is black. Did he forget about the struggles African Americans went through in this country? Who is he to judge an ethnic group?

Discrimination is wrong on ANY level. Open your eyes, bud.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I agree with Herman

I think we should ban religion from communities...I am suprised he is suggesting that, but hey, I guess there is a thinking person afte...oh...wait...oh, he only wants to ban one religion.

Bah, discrimination...go home tard! ban em all, or treat em all equally...what a jackarse

Strange...a black man being pro discrimination...you would think he would check on a bit of history of discrimination..
Hey Hermy...guess what...mob mentality does not make it good law or acceptable practice...there was a time a different group was considered less than desirable and the community wanted to ban em...guess who would have fallen in that catagory.

nevermind, just make me a pepperoni pizza, extra cheese, and get it here in under a half hour...see if you can manage that without saying something totally stupid.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Plus I don't have them knocking on my door every other weekend asking if I have heard of Muhammad.

Umm....that would be the Jehova's witnesses...not all christian denominations do that, be specific

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
You discriminate in your everyday life.
You profile in your everyday life.

It's a fact of life.

To discriminate is to disallow someone to do something they wish to do based on a set of beliefs.

You discriminate against people whom wish to be free of religion by preventing them to ban religion in their communities, based on your belief that everyone should have a choice of religion.

By allowing these communities to ban religion isn't discriminating.
People who wish to seek religious avenues still have that ability... Just not in a particular community.

Now this applies to profiling as well.
Profiling is also known as stereotyping.

I profile people all the time... Why? Because they want to be?
When that [insert colour here] kid dresses like [insert gang/celebrity/fashion here] you immediately think of associated [gang/celebrity/fashion] and make a snap judgement based on what you see.
You take their body language into account with your profiling.
As well as their current activity [insert random activity - skating/smoking/drinking].

And you immediately form a decision in your mind on whether or not it is safe to approach said kid or if it is better to keep your distance.

As stated before... A fact of life.
edit on 18/7/2011 by Sovaka because: Broke my post with ''

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Yeah maybe Herman should do what he does best:

Making some fine delicious Pizza and you know, leave politics to the adults who know how to run things.

Thanks for trying though Mr. Cain. Take your discrimination somewhere else though.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
defend our way of life.

Some of you so often cheer and scream about how the founding fathers were establishing a christian nation, blah blah...

Fine...you know what, lets give that one to you lot..lets pretend the 1st amendment means nothing and didn't happen.

From an agnostic-atheist view...the country was founded with crazy religious intentions, and this whole "islam invasion" is just another crazy religion...same concept, different names...from what I see, everything is staying the same...splitting hairs really on if you call the delity God, Allah, or Thor...its some sky ghost stuff that will be stamped on money, pushed into the pledge, etc.

So, to some of us, we see no real difference...does it matter if the westboro baptist church is screaming how god hates gays, verses some new sect in a few years screaming about how allah hates pigs or some such...all just a bunch of nuts to us

aka, american values...founded on religious premise, and continues to go as such.

(any of you yet see the issue in pushing more religious institutions into the state?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Making some fine delicious Pizza and you know, leave politics to the adults who know how to run things.

Thanks for trying though Mr. Cain. Take your discrimination somewhere else though.

Case point... You just discriminated against Mr. Cain because you perceive his lack of Political Skill.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal

Case point... You just discriminated against Mr. Cain because you perceive his lack of Political Skill.

Thats not discrimination, thats observation and opinion.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Not when you tell them not to do something they wish to do.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Not when you tell them not to do something they wish to do.

Next issue
Cain is running for POTUS...massive powers
Sev is just some dude on the internet..

and even then, it is not discrimination...cane is not an entire group of people...its some twit...individual attacks on a person's ideas is not discrimination, its disagreement...in this case, the disagreement is against discrimination.

Putting up a mosque, or 100 mosques is not illegal...it is a founding right...denying them because they have a wonky belief system, or they are gay, or the wrong color...is illegal for government (even local) to engage in
edit on 18-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Federal laws, supplemented by court decisions, prohibit discrimination in such areas as employment, housing, voting rights, education, and access to public facilities. They also proscribe discrimination on the basis of race, age, sex, nationality, disability, or religion. In addition, state and local laws can prohibit discrimination in these areas and in others not covered by federal laws.

What this guy is doing, is encouraging a federal crime.

Not very presidental.

Back to the parlor mate...(someone should check in on his employment hiring)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

And this leads me back to my original post.

Banning religion in towns/cities would work if it was only just establishing itself.
But trying to bring this around in an already established town/city, is just asking for trouble.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

And this leads me back to my original post.

Banning religion in towns/cities would work if it was only just establishing itself.
But trying to bring this around in an already established town/city, is just asking for trouble.

He isn't talking about banning religion, he is suggesting its fine for a local community to ban a specific religion because they dont like them types.

That is a violation...a muslim has just as much rights as a christian in making their silly places of worship
If he was saying a township has the right to ban all religious structures, that is a good argument, gray area...however, singling one out is discrimination.

No matter how you spin it, the guy is off his rocker.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Federal laws, supplemented by court decisions, prohibit discrimination in such areas as employment, housing, voting rights, education, and access to public facilities. They also proscribe discrimination on the basis of race, age, sex, nationality, disability, or religion. In addition, state and local laws can prohibit discrimination in these areas and in others not covered by federal laws.

What this guy is doing, is encouraging a federal crime.

Not very presidental.

Back to the parlor mate...(someone should check in on his employment hiring)

It is only a crime if a Government says it's a crime.
As you say, he is running for POTUS.

IF he were to be elected, it would no longer be a crime, would it?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
he said this group that wants to open a mosque,

marched and protested for some bad people.

they sounded pretty rad.

now no post, i've seen here, for the builders, have vetted them as peace loving.

in a case like that, would christians allow a westboro branch in their midst?

eta; or does that even matter to the law?

edit on 18-7-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
He isn't talking about banning religion, he is suggesting its fine for a local community to ban a specific religion because they dont like them types.

That is a violation...a muslim has just as much rights as a christian in making their silly places of worship
If he was saying a township has the right to ban all religious structures, that is a good argument, gray area...however, singling one out is discrimination.

No matter how you spin it, the guy is off his rocker.

You have a point...

But to be honest, I still can't see an issue with this.
If there is a Christian town that doesn't want to have any other ideologies influencing their families, they shouldn't be discriminated against.

I don't know... If the majority of a community would find living with a certain religious sect uncomfortable, then they have a right to be comfortable in their lives.
A very gray area and could lead to some very dangerous precedents.

Would it be just as destructive to our ethics or lively-hoods as it would be to let the religious community collide and cause possible disturbances/destruction of personal property?

Where do we draw the line?

Would it be safer to separate these communities?
edit on 18/7/2011 by Sovaka because: Spelling

edit on 18/7/2011 by Sovaka because: Misused word replaced

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

It is only a crime if a Government says it's a crime.
As you say, he is running for POTUS.

IF he were to be elected, it would no longer be a crime, would it?

No, it would not be -just- a crime if he were to try and circumvent the constitution
it would then be an impeachable crime.

Sort of like getting in office and then declaring slavery is back on...erm, no..its not.

He can express any opinion he wants...he is only shooting himself in the foot when his expressions are clearly in direct opposition to the constitution.
This isn't a obamacare type " we should try to make everyone have health insurance"...he isn't adding something that isn't discussed, he is going against what is clearly and plainly stated...again, he can give his opinion, he can state that certain religions shouldn't be allowed to have temples or mosques, women should not be given equal pay, etc...its only a crime if he tries to then push it.
But, I imagine the popularity for anyone whom sort of likes the general constitution has suddenly plummeted.

It takes a lot to eliminate constitutional rights of the people, they don't give em up easily...especially for a very big one like freedom of speech and religion

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join