It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Salvage FUKUSHIMA, REALLY !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I just got a KILLER good idea on how Japan can extract itself from the terrible mess that it is in !!!

If we really wanted to send a lot of people to Mars there is a PRACTICAL technical solution to get people and heavy equipment there and there has been since the late 1950s, and its NOW not later, later is what the Space Elevator gives us, but it is a very dangerous solution.

Enter: PROJECT ORION

"This low-tech single-stage reference design would reach Mars and back in four weeks from the Earth's surface (compare to 12 months for NASA's current chemically-powered reference mission)."

The problem is this is a special type of rocket engine, a very heavy lifter, HUGE HUGE TRUST, it is nuclear pulse and spits out bits of nuclear fuel as it launches. But now thanks to the nuclear disaster in Japan WE HAVE A LAUNCH SIGHT. And further more our technology is now good enough that we could prepare the launch sites to capture the chunks of dropped fuel and build robots that would scout around and pickup the spent uranium to clean it up over the long run.

Churnobil could even be used as a second launch site.

We could use Mars as mining outpost to mine chunks from the asteroid belt, the wealth generation would be incalculable

In the mean time Japan would become economically solvent again, now they are literally walking dead because the reactors WILL eventually melt down and explode, with the huge cash they will get from leasing the land for nuclear launches they will be able to buy out the locals and cap those reactor sights with exotic materials that can absorb any explosion without breaking, and then pump out and filter the ground water afterwards or even better before total melt down.

That IS the solution by any standard, actively pump out ALL surrounding ground water, and cap the sites with large strong domes and suck out the steam emanating from the meltdown beneath the caps and then pump it into underground caverns nearby, and let it melt down, after it has melted down push dirt over it and cap it. Then send in the robots to clean up the little bits of radioactive stuff.

And then in the long run Fukushima would eventually be cleaned up, once we have the technology, and enough reproducing females in space to maintain the colonies we could then use other types of heavy lift technology.

If THIS IS THE WAY OUT they had better HURRY there is NOT MUCH TIME LEFT

Project Orion

The info box:

Uploaded by rseferino1 on Nov 24, 2010
-- Original uploaded on September 2, 2009 --

Project Orion was the first serious attempt to design a nuclear pulse rocket. The design effort was carried out at General Atomics in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The idea of Orion was to react small directional nuclear explosives against a large steel pusher plate attached to the spacecraft with shock absorbers. Efficient directional explosives maximized the momentum transfer, leading to specific impulses in the range of 6,000 seconds. With refinements a theoretical maximum of 100,000 seconds (1 MN·s/kg) might be possible. Thrusts were in the millions of short tonnes, allowing spacecraft larger than 8×106 short tonnes to be built with 1958 materials.

The reference design was to be constructed of steel using submarine-style construction with a crew of more than 200 and a vehicle takeoff weight of several thousand tonnes. This low-tech single-stage reference design would reach Mars and back in four weeks from the Earth's surface (compare to 12 months for NASA's current chemically-powered reference mission). The same craft could visit Saturn's moons in a seven-month mission (compare to chemically-powered missions of about nine years).

A number of engineering problems were found and solved over the course of the project, notably related to crew shielding and pusher-plate lifetime. The system appeared to be entirely workable when the project was shut down in 1965, the main reason being given that the Partial Test Ban Treaty made it illegal. There were also ethical issues with launching such a vehicle within the Earth's magnetosphere. Calculations showed that the fallout from each takeoff would kill between 1 and 10 people.

Orion's technology is also one of very few known interstellar space drives that could be constructed with known technology.

Some authorities say that President Kennedy initiated the Apollo program to buy off the technical enthusiasts backing the Orion program. The recent book by George Dyson says that one design proposal presented to Kennedy was a space-going nuclear battleship, which so offended him that he decided to end the program.

My Orion is launch for rocket Nova MM S010E-1 using 8 UA1207 120 inch solid motors as first stage, 24 high pressure LH2/Lox engines in the second stage in a plug nozzle arrangement. Total Mass 10,328,000 kg without UA1207, with UA1207 12,882,640 kg (4,24 x Saturn V).

1 x Nova MMS010E-1 10,328,000 kg
8 x UA1207 319,330 kg
payload: Orion Spaceship 992,721 kg

License:
Standard YouTube License

Arthor C. Clarke like it in 2003 ...

Uploaded by StevPhillips on Apr 19, 2006
In 1957 there began an experiment. A team of physicists aimed to created thr first nuclear powerered space craft. But by 1963, this dream was over and Project Orion ended. What you see here is a reinvention of this project by Rhysy. And that space ship really was fully designed, inside and out, by him... see more at rhysy.plexersoft.com

Project Orion: A Re-Imagining

edit on 17-7-2011 by MACchine because: add

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ummmm.... whut?

I think ur sci fi reading has u confuzed.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
And ur vid got removed by YouTube

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MACchine

What the hell are you talking about???

Put a Launch Pad on a fault line??? Isn't that how we got the Fukushima disaster???

I think the only way to salvage Japan's economy is already being done... let the world think everything is ok...

Your Project has good intentions, but thats all it is, same for Chernobyl, It's Radioactive, It would infect the metals it would come in contact with, and then us.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxStriker
reply to post by MACchine

Read it, watch it !

Put a Launch Pad on a fault line??? Isn't that how we got the Fukushima disaster???

It is a launch pad rarely occupied, no problem at ALL, the fault line was NEVER the problem anyway, it was the tidal wave REMEMBER !!!

I think the only way to salvage Japan's economy is already being done... let the world think everything is ok...

THAT WON'T WORK, NOT FOR A SECOND, would you loan money to Japan, NO, then what do you think the smart people with the money will do ???

Your Project has good intentions, but thats all it is, same for Chernobyl, It's Radioactive, It would infect the metals it would come in contact with, and then us.

HOW WOULD IT INFECT US, THAT idea is just STUPID, all they have to do is launch straight up and stay over the launch pad, with all the thrust these engines have NO PROBLEM.

Have you ever heard of a neutron bomb, neutrons can neutralize radiation

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read it, watch it

I did, I dont understand how this can save their economy

--------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a launch pad rarely occupied, no problem at ALL, the fault line was NEVER the problem anyway, it was the tidal wave REMEMBER !!!

You are correct, it would be only one of few problems, mainly that its full of radiation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THAT WON'T WORK, NOT FOR A SECOND, would you loan money to Japan, NO, then what do you think the smart people with the money will do ???

Ummm... people know there is radiation everywhere, and their gov't is continuing, business as usual, so far I haven't seen the Japanese markets exploding. Plus, what else can they do, suddenly want to build rockets and got to mars?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW WOULD IT INFECT US, THAT idea is just STUPID, all they have to do is launch straight up and stay over the launch pad, with all the thrust these engines have NO PROBLEM.

Have you ever heard of a neutron bomb, neutrons can neutralize radiation

Really, how would radiation infect us, as in building a pad on a Radiation Wastland, we would die moron. and as for your Neutron Bomb, Really, your that blind. Wonder why they didn't drop these in Chernobyl. Maybe because their full of Radiation.

Also, all it has to do is launch straight up? Are you for real? To launch you need humans to be there at the site, to build, maintain and monitor, or has skynet already started.

A neutron bomb or enhanced radiation weapon (ERW) or weapon of reinforced radiation is a type of thermonuclear weapon designed specifically to release a large portion of its energy as energetic neutron radiation rather than explosive energy. Although their extreme blast and heat effects are not eliminated, it is the enormous radiation released by ERWs that is meant to be a major source of casualties

A neutron bomb is a fission-fusion thermonuclear weapon (hydrogen bomb) in which the burst of neutrons generated by a fusion reaction is intentionally allowed to escape the weapon, rather than being absorbed by its other components. The weapon's X-ray mirrors and radiation case, made of uranium or lead in a standard bomb, are instead made of chromium or nickel so that the neutrons can escape.[citation needed] The bombs also require amounts of tritium on the order of a few tens of grams.[2]

The "usual" nuclear weapon yield—expressed as kT TNT equivalent—is not a measure of a neutron weapon's destructive power. It refers only to the energy released (mostly heat and blast), and does not express the lethal effect of neutron radiation on living organisms

edit on 7/17/2011 by FoxStriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MACchine
But now thanks to the nuclear disaster in Japan WE HAVE A LAUNCH SIGHT.
The lack of a launch site wasn't really a problem. I think they probably would have used some former atomic bomb test sites in the Pacific ocean as possible launch sites.

There were several other problems, not the least of which is that people would die from the fallout from hundreds or thousands of nuclear bombs. They would create fallout not only at the launch site, but all over the Pacific and all over the planet. Dyson's estimate was that something like 10 people would die from the fallout from just one launch, no matter where the launch took place.

The only way I see Orion happening is if a killer asteroid is on a collision course with Earth which would kill millions or billions of people. In that case, it's certainly justified to sacrifice 10 lives to save millions or billions.

But short of something like that, it's probably not going to happen, unless they can figure out a way to eliminate all the fallout related fatalities. The bombs get larger at higher altitude, so that makes the fallout problem a global one.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

He said 1 to 10, its in the OP or a video.

They need to launch STRAIGHT UP FOLLOWING THE ROTATION OF THE EARTH over a LARGE area prepared to catch the fallout, NOT a little island.

They need to built fast little robotic rockets that can follow and parallel the big lifter closely to spray foam onto the pulse rocket so that the foam and capture the bits of fall out and then the foam can be recovered afterwards, and processed to remove the uranium.

DID YOU WATCH THE 3rd VIDEO ? That one shows a VERY HEAVY lifter with many modular chemical rockets to get it into the upper atmosphere then the nuclear pulse starts up.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Read it, watch it

I can see you not a business person or engineer at all, as if you were it would be soo obvious.

Now I say this to everybody looking at this thread.

WHAT IF, now that Japan is FORCING their people out of the shelters and to return to Fukushima, Japan declared themselves RADIATION NATION.

That they are going to expose their people to higher levels of radiation, but they will reward them with SPACE TRAVEL, that has high radiation risks too !!!

So they set Fukushima up as a nuclear and space enterprise zone and start building and launching these types of heavy lifters, THE MONEY WOULD FLOW IN LIKE A TIDAL WAVE !

And then they would have a LOT more option in terms of cleaning up some of the areas that currently have no hope and that now they plan to TRY to coverup how dangerous it is

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

They need to launch STRAIGHT UP FOLLOWING THE ROTATION OF THE EARTH over a LARGE area prepared to catch the fallout, NOT a little island.
10 is in the range of 1 to 10, is it not? And I added the words "something like" to emphasize it's not exact. The 1 to 10 isn't exact either. They are rough estimates.

Rocket launches don't go straight up. The surface near the equator is moving somewhere around 1000 mph and rocket launches use this extra velocity to their advantage. Certainly a chemical rocket needs all the help like this it can get.

DID YOU WATCH THE 3rd VIDEO ? That one shows a VERY HEAVY lifter with many modular chemical rockets to get it into the upper atmosphere then the nuclear pulse starts up.
Yes and I thought the person who made the video doesn't understand much about Orion, doesn't understand much about rockets, or both. Chemical rockets don't have enough energy to get large payloads into space, that was the advantage of Orion, it had the energy to do that.

I tried to go to the site in the 3rd video, but it takes me to a message saying the domain may be for sale. I don't think the maker of that video was a rocket scientist.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Read it, watch it

I can see you not a business person or engineer at all, as if you were it would be soo obvious.

Now I say this to everybody looking at this thread.

WHAT IF, now that Japan is FORCING their people out of the shelters and to return to Fukushima, Japan declared themselves RADIATION NATION.

That they are going to expose their people to higher levels of radiation, but they will reward them with SPACE TRAVEL, that has high radiation risks too !!!

So they set Fukushima up as a nuclear and space enterprise zone and start building and launching these types of heavy lifters, THE MONEY WOULD FLOW IN LIKE A TIDAL WAVE !

And then they would have a LOT more option in terms of cleaning up some of the areas that currently have no hope and that now they plan to TRY to coverup how dangerous it is

I don't think you understand anything to tell you the truth, after reading your post and watching all three videos, I truly am amazed that your received Stars or Flags.

Your thread and post don't make any sense... in fact your lack of english is enough.

Really, I don't think you know anything about business and engineering, as I said before... Fukushima will be a wasteland for decades if not hundreds of years... there is no project that will be viable for the area...

new topics

top topics

join