It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Front Yard Gardener Faces New Charges

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Oh yeah, the government told me to use logic and reason...

The government told me to read the woman's blog and find out that she admitted to having unlicensed dogs, and she was a month late in licensing her dogs, and that is why the issue came up, and she was NOT being harassed.

Long live the real sheeple who don't do any real research, and who blindly follow a paranoid fear-mongering sensationalist website called PrisonPlanet.

edit on 16-7-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Jean Paul Zodieux (sp) and I were having a discussion in another thread that touched on laws / ordinances that border on the insane.

He pointed out, and after researching I would have to agree with him, that people can challenge these laws under the 9th amendment. The 9th pertains specifically to the people and says the following:

The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

and the 10th:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Im starting tot hink people should try to use some of these con law arguments to fight back against some of the more moronic laws on the books.

Also, I have not been able to find the specifics on the dog issue. Are we sure law enforcement issued the citations for that? Depending on the city, in addition to law enforcement, anoimal control and code enforcement officers also deal with that stuff.
edit on 16-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Personally, I think dogs should only be kept by people who live in large areas, like farms.

I think I should have full control of your life and everything you do, just because I'm smarter than you.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I agree, some of the more stupid laws like the whole garden issue should be fought, if possible. Even though they probably originally had a good purpose, they are just a nuisance.

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Also, I have not been able to find the specifics on the dog issue. Are we sure law enforcement issued the citations for that? Depending on the city, in addition to law enforcement, anoimal control and code enforcement officers also deal with that stuff.

Here is some information from the woman's blog:

oakparkhatesveggies.wordpress.com...

4- we still have our same court date- july 26th. we still have to appear for a pre-trial, only this time it will be for 2 misdemeanors (the dogs), instead of 1 misdemeanor for the garden.

5- when we got the citation for the dog licenses we cleared it up right away. we went in that friday, only to find that our government is closed on friday due to budget cuts (!). we went back as soon as we were able the following week and took care of it. we paid the license fees. we paid late fees. we got proof from them that the dogs were current and paid up, and we took this proof to court and we showed it to the prosecutor.

6- our current and valid dog licenses were shown on at least on TV news program, and i’m sure were re-broadcast many times over. there is no controversy about whether or not our dogs are licensed. they weren’t current and now they are. that’s it.

She says the dog citation is a misdemeanor, so I am guessing it was from law enforcement officers and would show up on her record. She also admitted that her licenses were not current (which means they were expired and the dogs were not technically licensed).

Here is a quote from the woman;

just to set the record straight, yet again- we are not fighting about the dog licenses. we paid the dog licenses. we paid a penalty on the dog licenses for not doing it at the right time. we fixed it.

the city is trying to re-open the dog licenses as a case, even though it has been taken care of. -julie

From what I have read (no thanks to PrisonPlanet's misleading article) the woman was charged with the dog license misdemeanors BEFORE the garden issue. Although she claims to have taken care of the dog issue, she admitted that she did so a month late, which is probably why it was re-opened AFTER the garden issue. She probably forgot to do a certain step. Or maybe you get fined for fixing the citation late.

I think she is being a bit paranoid either way... If code inspectors are drawn to her property for having the garden and or need to inspect her property at one point or another, maybe they somehow noticed the dogs and wanted to be sure they were licensed and had their vaccinations before they set foot near her property and risked the possibility of the dogs being free and attacking them, or the owner releasing the dogs to attack them. Some people are very cautious about that.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

the garden was in her front yard . . . . and the city tried to cite her because her front yard was not "normal" like the rest of the residents yards

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
This is a non-issue being sensationalized by biased authority hating fear-mongers...

Oh give me a break

Wake up and smell the leather boots

Georgia Police Bust Girls' Lemonade Stand In Midway
www.abovetopsecret.com...

People like you gave us the McCarthy witch hunts because no one stood up to that

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Before you run people into the ground while supporting that argument with another incident, keep in mind they are not from the same states.

Taking all law enforcement action across the country and trying to lump them into the same boat does not work, nor does it paint the picture your trying to sell.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
reply to post by alfa1

Do they go into other peoples back gardens to snoop to see wither or not they have unlicensed dogs? I find it bizarre they just targeted her and not anyone else.

The city had to dig up her front lawn..and she couldn't afford to resod, so she put some raised vegetable planters in her FRONT lawn. This is what the issue was about, because she did it in the front.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I'm going to bet there are restrictions/guidelines that all neighborhood property owners must adhere to in order to stay in grace. I'm not a property owner but I know that there are such things as HOA's (Home Owner's Associations) that are extremely strict.

Also... when you prepare to do battle with City Hall or your neighbors/HOA's who have attorneys working for them... you better make sure that you have all of your ducks in a row... because they will come after you from all sides... believe me. That's just how the game is played. It USUALLY has nothing to do with any vendetta. USUALLY.
edit on 16-7-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Taking all law enforcement action across the country and trying to lump them into the same boat does not work, nor does it paint the picture your trying to sell.

Sure it does... the Dawn of the New American Police State

Toss in TSA actions as well... the Goon Squads are winning and the sheeple are making excuses.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No you give me a break. I agree the laws are silly... but I don't agree that the lady mentioned in this topic is being harassed like people claim. The police are just doing their job. We the people made the laws for a reason, if you don't like them then petition to have them changed.

As for your off topic post about the lemonade stand... Lemonade stands are cute when the kids are 7-10 years of age, but when you are a 14 year old teenager (who is legally allowed to get a real job with a work permit) I think it is almost about that age for a reality check in the real world of business IMHO.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
either it is flat out illegal to grow a garden(plants that are of some use to you) as opposed to grass and hybrid trees.
or the 'police are enforcing some b&lls#@t local ordinance that applies only to certain people and not others.
why is she being fined for growing plants? where is the line between doesn't look normal and a planting of purple pansies next to the front door? how many hollyhocks does it take to constitute not normal? was she given a list of forbidden to grow plants? choice of one (or two) landscaping plans? is she a member of an HOA? what would happen if she had landscaped her yard in gravel?

I think the best solution for the good of society which has been damaged by her socialy antagonistic garden is get out the hatchets and herbicide and kill all the plant life in her area, until it looks normal,and make her pay for it

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

but when you are a 14 year old teenager (who is legally allowed to get a real job with a work permit) I think it is almost about that age for a reality check in the real world of business IMHO.

Have you seen the job availability lately? We had a Wendy's out here in Vegas that needed one helper... by their rules they had to list the job opening. They got 150 plus internet apps, 85 walk ins and in the end the manager asked one of his staff "Didn't you have a daughter that needed work?"

So now we punish those who show some initiative like having a lemonade stand or planting some edible plants instead of just decorative?

:shk:

The simple fact that the city backed down on the garden charges after it hit the press shows they know damn well that they were being stupid. And the dog license issue... most city laws have a 30 day compliance clause that allows you to fix the problem anyway

edit on 16-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
oops!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

reply to post by zorgon

No you give me a break. I agree the laws are silly... but I don't agree that the lady mentioned in this topic is being harassed like people claim. The police are just doing their job. We the people made the laws for a reason, if you don't like them then petition to have them changed.

As for your off topic post about the lemonade stand... Lemonade stands are cute when the kids are 7-10 years of age, but when you are a 14 year old teenager (who is legally allowed to get a real job with a work permit) I think it is almost about that age for a reality check in the real world of business IMHO.

Home Owner's Associations... HOAs. What are CC & Rs???

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
In my opinion, the only license this woman needs at this point is a rifle.

It is time for people to be left alone from others who think they have power.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

I like that idea

My pool went green earlier this year when the pump gave out. In the 100% heat of Vegas it does that in a couple days. I get a knock on the door and a County Mounty was there to inspect my pool because a neighbor had called in the green pool. Apparently THAT is against the law.

Well by that time I had already drained it so he marked it off as invalid complaint... no further issue..

Thing is my pool has an 8 ft high concrete wall around it... so the only person who could have called it in is my pesky neighbor who I have caught lifting his kid up to look over the fence...

THIS MEANS WAR

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

I like that idea

My pool went green earlier this year when the pump gave out. In the 100% heat of Vegas it does that in a couple days. I get a knock on the door and a County Mounty was there to inspect my pool because a neighbor had called in the green pool. Apparently THAT is against the law.

Well by that time I had already drained it so he marked it off as invalid complaint... no further issue..

Thing is my pool has an 8 ft high concrete wall around it... so the only person who could have called it in is my pesky neighbor who I have caught lifting his kid up to look over the fence...

THIS MEANS WAR

And maybe the NSA has your neighborhood under surveillance and is using satellite technology to do so. Just another possibility.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Have you seen the job availability lately?

I live in California, and there is PLENTY of jobs available here for teenagers. I don't know about Georgia though..

So now we punish those who show some initiative like having a lemonade stand or planting some edible plants instead of just decorative?

They can have a lemonade stand as long as they get a permit and a license. They are really cheap, and you can consider it a business investment. I remember when I got my first business license and sellers permit when I was 19. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

As for the plants, I agree it is a really silly law.

I don't know what neighborhood she lives in, but I know that some neighborhoods are strict about how your front yard looks because it can seriously effect the overall value of the houses next to it (the neighbors). So if someone has a junky front yard that is not well maintained, their neighbors would have a harder time selling their house if they wanted, and they would have to reduce the cost of their house because their neighbors house looks like trash. It brings the value down of the entire neighborhood. With that in mind, I think it would be odd to see a row of nice houses with nice green lawns and nice landscaping, then see one house stick out like a sore thumb with just a pure farm in the front yard...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Yes, here in California they actually fly helicopters/aircraft and look for "standing water" because they have become very dangerous to peoples health. They are breeding grounds for mosquitos which spread malaria and the West Nile virus, and can cause illness and death. Even if you have a leaking hose and it creates a small puddle of green water, you may be asked to fix it and remove it. Swimming pools are even worse when people let them green up and don't take care of it.

I would have reported your pool too honestly... I hate mosquitoes.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join