It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do Americans feel about the Vietnamwar today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I assume there is no talking away the wrongness of certain aspects of the war, like consciously dumping dioxin on the countryside, knowing full well what would happen. But after the way the victorious north treated the south vietnamese, how do Americans feel about having gone to the nam in the first place?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Are you asking me how I feel about the Gulf Of Tonkin?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

Most Americans don't even know why we went to Vietnam, let alone have feelings about the war. Our Government has made sure to skew the way younger Americans view the war.

Personally, I see it as a hopeless cause from the start. Much like Afghanistan.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Not really fair of us to judge it since we know all the facts and how it turned out. The idea made sense at the time in certain aspects and was foolish in others. If America hadn't been so squeemish about helping the French they probably would have done the dirty work.

Or had we rolled into Moscow at the end of ww2 like Patton wanted it wouldn't have happened. However it was a turning point in many ways and helped usher in a new culture so it was certainly pivotal.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

That's the real question.

I would also ask what Americans feel now that many (not all) realize it was all a false flag and they were lied to by their own Government to justify a war. The beginning of what was to become the norm.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
I assume there is no talking away the wrongness of certain aspects of the war, like consciously dumping dioxin on the countryside, knowing full well what would happen. But after the way the victorious north treated the south vietnamese, how do Americans feel about having gone to the nam in the first place?

We made up a lie.
We went there based on a lie.
We killed men, women, and children based on that lie.

I think what you should do is ask a veteran how he feels about it. It was just another excuse to continue the Cold War against Russia. Just like Germany, just like Korea, just like Afghanistan (the first time), etc, etc. I'm pretty sure that if we found people on the moon when we got there, the US and Soviets would have picked a fight with them, armed them, then treated them the same way.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Got some really great movies out of it though.

So there was something good at least. And music too.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

That's the real question.

I would also ask what Americans feel now that many (not all) realize it was all a false flag and they were lied to by their own Government to justify a war. The beginning of what was to become the norm.

Well you could argue the Gulf of Tonkin was a white lie to rally Americans for a good and noble cause, defending the south against the evil communist north. When the north won they went on killing teachers and other "undesirables" as seen in other communist countries. Or is that western propaganda and a lie as well?

Sure if you are an American and couldnt care less about the south vietnamese, then the gulf of tonkin is a major offense to you.
edit on 15-7-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well when the Pentagon Papers came out and coupled with the news of the My Lai massacre and the Tet Offensive showing how we had control of nothing those things pretty much sealed the ending of the way.

Didn't matter if we were play a game of risk with Russia or not. People just wanted out. Strong events like those or lack of them is what is keeping Americans today from protesting against the current military operstions in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

As an American, I feel the Vietnam War was a tremendous waste of human life on BOTH sides. America went into Vietnam to secure the rubber trees. If it was to save people from 'evil communists or dictators" why did America not stop the mass murder and spread of communism in my ancestral country of Laos? Why not help in Cambodia?

I feel outraged that we went to Vietnam to secure resourse, as we are still doing today.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It wasn't to secure resources it was to prevent another land grab by the communists. They decided to draw the line and that line just fell in Vietnam. They were trying to hold back the spread of communism and this is fairly well documented as to the reason why we were there.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
the real question is how would u feel if u were an american and asked the same question that should sum it for u

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think our boys did as good as they could have....

It takes balls to be helicoptered into the jungle, dropped off with a gun and say, "hold this LZ."

I know a few soldiers that were wounded. They did their best with what they had.......They do not complain about it.......

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I feel the war could have been won militarily, but bureaucratic politicians then, like today, are counter productive.

I also feel Colin Luther Powell was the best military advisor we have had, as well as that he should have been our first black president. In stead he took one last one for the team, and personally I feel his career was sacrificed.

He should have been able to make history as the first, black military president, and honestly. I would have volunteered to be his back man in the secret service, no pay.

It would have been an honor.

But then, that is how I feel. Reality unfortunately dictates other wise, and it is truly a shame our society is plagued by those who would rather line their already deep pockets. One day the world may wake up, until then it will continue to be the same crap different day.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Documentation means squat. Documentation just like Afghanistan is about spreading democracy.... Iraq was for weapons of mass destruction... Pakistan? Libya? Yemen? Somalia?

Not many people are even aware of the rubber tree contracts and all of the money invested into keeping the booming tire industry rolling.

If it was about drawing a line to stop Communism.... Laos shares that same northern border with China as Vietnam does. Pathet Lao Communists were massacring my relatives as Michelin was next door securing rubber contracts.

Michelin Rubber Plantation: Vietnam

US forces were obliged to compensate Michelin for damage caused to the rubber trees during operations in the plantation.

edit on 7/15/11 by Sahabi because: Spelling

edit on 7/15/11 by Sahabi because: Correction: "Michelin" instead of GoodYear.

edit on 7/15/11 by Sahabi because: Add link and external source quote

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I think our boys did as good as they could have....

It takes balls to be helicoptered into the jungle, dropped off with a gun and say, "hold this LZ."

I know a few soldiers that were wounded. They did their best with what they had.......They do not complain about it.......

I FULLY agree with your words and sentiment. No disrespect or degradation is intended towards the soldiers. Personally, I am referring to the ones that wage war in the first place, not the ones that fight it. "When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

most americans dont know,
or dont care.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
How did the communists treat the south vietnamese and vietnam then?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
like afganistan that Vietnam heroin money sure helped the bankers make out like bandits

BTW
it just came out that Amerocan banker Jacob Shiff ordered the hit on the whole czar familly which ushered in russian communism
forum.davidicke.com...
(exerps from a knowledgeble book posted at link)

just like the american interference which installed Mao
so I think the "how commiunists treated..." anything after america gave up is a completely MUTE point...
edit on 15-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
My father, Army Airborne Purple Heart, Bronze Star

My hero.

Any debate, it'll be a throwdown,
edit on 15-7-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join