It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish and 500 yards of compost!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

No offense, and I think it's a great idea too, but the same people who want to kill social security, medicare and medicaid from the top down are the same ones who would just as easily dismiss this idea, or mutate it until it was 100% profitable and not about sustainable aquaculture for a community's food needs.

In other words, ironically, you, by supporting this are more 'bleeding heart' than you think. Also interesting to think about, if systems like this were in place, programs like ss, medicare and medicaid might become obsolete.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'm so glad to see this as the #1 topic today. If people started doing this it would definitely change the world.

Here's a thread I started about this a while ago but it never got any attention.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the sludge that would collect at the bottom would produce methane (could be used to heat the greenhouse in the winter)

anyway check it out I think you'll like it, the thread is called "My solution for the world" and that's what I honestly consider it, a way to save ourselves.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
here's a few tips, some flowering plants need more than just a lot of nitrogen, you can supplement with various things.
AZomite
crushed coral in a basic air driven box filter/ keeps water even cleaner while adding nutrients
crushed organic eggshells/ balances ph and adds nutrient
diatomaceous earth as a natural pesticide(not poison) and it also fertilizes your plants.
hide a rusty nail somewhere/ adds iron
add different beneficial lifeforms/ worms, snails, shrimp.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
"we the people" needs to mean something again lets grow our own and feed the world no more hungry children but govt and big business would never allow grow-ops like this to pop up all over the planet big business would loose revenue and govt would loose tax $ too bad we live on prison planet earth

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Holy molly.

Seems like aodscarecrow was right. A family can live off of a 1/4 acre of land growing food and livestock, and this group is living proof that they can provide 1 million lbs. of food on 3 acres of land with their own source of heat and own way of living. I knew he was right, I just didn't have the proof that most people sought after.
edit on 13-7-2011 by FreedomCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The OP video was GREAT! I wish I could do something like that. Sadly, I do not have a green thumb, never have. I have 10 acres of land, what I could do with a set up like that!

My grandfather was a seasonal farmer, it was his living. He had 6 green houses on his property. What I would do if I had that property, with those greenhouses now

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
"we the people" needs to mean something again lets grow our own and feed the world no more hungry children but govt and big business would never allow grow-ops like this to pop up all over the planet big business would loose revenue and govt would loose tax $ too bad we live on prison planet earth

We are doing it anyway. The governments are blocking our evolution as a species and will become obsolete(if that hasn't happened already)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
The OP video was GREAT! I wish I could do something like that. Sadly, I do not have a green thumb, never have. I have 10 acres of land, what I could do with a set up like that!

My grandfather was a seasonal farmer, it was his living. He had 6 green houses on his property. What I would do if I had that property, with those greenhouses now

You do not need a green thumb, I didn't, just a basic understanding of the systems at work

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by theshepherd92

U could use compost heat and even methane would be possible from just wwood chips, without a fire.

In short: Make a hughe pile and run a hose trough it, water and bacteria do the rest.

Heat from compositing wood chips
edit on 13-7-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

This is a great find, whether it was posted before or not. I certainly did not see the first post and so this post to me is 100% better than the one posted earlier. My question is should everybody search the entire history of ATS before posting something many persons consider to be of value. If you saw it before on ATS just move on to something else and leave those who did not see it to enjoy it too.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

This is the ultimate golden ticket to freedom for the world. I can't believe that the technology for this system has been around for so long. The entire world should be kicking itself for not making this happen decades ago.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this. This video is so incredibly exciting for me, and not just because I live in the same city as the marvelous Will Allen and his Growing Power! The marvels of urban farming - particularly aquaponics - are mind truly blowing. There is another aquaponic farm in an old building just a few blocks from my house. It inspired me to start my own little garden; and apply to volunteer at the urban farm. I need to learn this stuff as it will become essential for us to know. Not later, but right now!

I have been saying for years that Growing Power's model is the future of farming. Just imagine: If Detroit, for example, utilizes their 40 square miles of vacant property in this manner, you could potentially output over 8,500,000,000 pounds of food! The possibilities are endless!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
i really appaud you posting this
so often when we wonder what to do about this corrupt taking of big Gov,and Big corp. we think we have to fight and die
that is what THEY want

our real task is to live and well and sustainably

THEY hate that

i love this link that has plenty of ways to be independent and prosperous with what you have journey to forever

they had a story about two poor mexican women who started a business growing Telapia (fish) in their inner city apartment!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This guy goes against the grains( no pun intended) with all food Mega corporations, his technique is awsome.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to be a fish that lived in that! Looks just as bad as a bowl

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If only this were more practical for real people. The greenhouses alone are unaffordable. Obviously, government/private sector sponsored projects would be able to utilize this method and it would definitely better enable us to provide healthy, low cost food in our own country. But for the average person trying to survive on their own, the price tag is out of reach.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

But for the average person trying to survive on their own, the price tag is out of reach

I agree that the set up cost would be high...but I doubt the average person would consume 10,000lbs of food etc...

I see this as more a community project set up by Foundations and NGO's. Could also be government sponsored as you suggested.

This is a great alternative to the Monsanto's of this world and their corporate control of our food supply chain with their genetically modified foods.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Awesome thread and what a technique!
It oozes simplicity and sense!

I'm gonna have a go at building one myself.

Legend OP

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
My only fear is that this is as far as this will go. The PTB do not want us to solve world hunger, they make far too much money off of other peoples suffering

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Sometime around 1988, I was a farmer and I went to a talk down near the Salton Sea and the farms down there were really BIG on aquaculture and just getting into it, many had shallow 1 acre reservoirs and they said they could produce TONS of fish flesh a year.

It is REALLY hot in that area, thus the BIG production, and very salty water including ground water but they COULD grow Cat Fish with big production so they were happy.

I think they ended up having problems selling Cat Fish, because it is a low quality fish, but they may have switched to something else I have no way of knowing.

That was back when many farmers in California were looking to get into Aquaculture as the NEXT BIG CROP

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join