It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada formally ending combat mission in Afghanistan this week

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- Canada is formally completing its fighting mission in Afghanistan this week, a move that marks the end of a robust combat presence centered in the dangerous and violent southern province of Kandahar.

The Canadian military on Tuesday formally transferred its last district in the province to the United States, where the U.S. 3rd Battalion 21st Regiment took over from the Canadian 1st Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment.

On Thursday, Canadian Brig. Gen. Dean Milner will transfer command of NATO-led troops in Kandahar's Panjwai and Dand districts to U.S. command.

Looks like Canadian combat missions are over now, handing their role to the US.

But this dosent mean every Canadian soldier is coming home. There will still be a few left for training others.

Up to 950 Canadian armed forces trainers and support personnel eventually will be based in Kabul until 2014. The Canadians will be working alongside Americans, Brits, Australians and others in a countrywide training mission, Stadnyk said.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

You haven't heard?
There going from Afg. to Arctic.
No rest for the Dedicated
At least they have an Inuit General,,,, was very good at sneaking up on seals, knows lay of land and ,, well u get the idea.

:

Ohh and if Russia attacks they might hit the new Royal Honeymooners,, and we wouldn't want that would we?
Would be bad publicity.
Ahh wheels within wheels,, lol

Me.

Me.

edit on 5-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

'Bout time. We'll still be seeing the cortages along the Highway of Heroes, though...mark my words, it ain't over yet.
Best wishes to the Yanks, just the same.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

i thought most were still staying untill 2014 to train afagan police, and of orse they would need more to protect those areas, at least the combet is over, i wish our invovlement in lybia,could end all together

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is great news!
Maybe now we can actually win the war and bring the American troops home.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Not only are some staying to train, but more are being shipped out - tomorrow in fact. I have a good friend who's husband heads out in the morning. Sucky deal in light of the news that they're pulling out...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Looks like they lost and are pulling out. The taliban are still there; they only retreated to a different hiding place to survive the air bombing campaign.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What all two people??

Thank you canada we love you

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Looks like they lost and are pulling out. The taliban are still there; they only retreated to a different hiding place to survive the air bombing campaign.

Gee...would you sum up Iraq in the same manner? Or perhaps Viet Nam?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed029b20ed3f.gif[/atsimg]

I don't see the resemblance.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Ok,, the two guys who were spotted,,, Captains Office NOW!!!

hehehe

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Taliban are still there. Iraq is a more successful campaign than Afghanistan if you look it it from a statistical and scientific point of view. If you examine the ratio of US troops on the ground the the amount killed, Afghanistan is a failure compared to Iraq.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Common,, the 60's MacNamarra "dead body ratio" ??? really, u still basing won/lost on that? gee and i thought tactics were changing,,,guess not.

Me.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

If you think 6000 US troops dead is nothing, thats fine. That is 60 buses full of 100 people each. Now we are the most powerful nation on earth yet to see 6000 people dead...???? We have the most powerful military yet a country that has been at war for 30 years and already beat down is still defeating US soldiers. They were already beat down and weakened by the soviets, and now we are not having much success their either.
edit on 5-7-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Even though what you said was mostly gibberish, I agree with you on the artic situation. Canada is not like America in that they will pull out of everywhere in the globe to retain (and perhaps expand) their northern land.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e6397e43714.gif[/atsimg]

Spoiler alert: newly discovered oil there

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Tell them if they want we can rebuild the hole area by laying carpet. lol

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Seeing as Canada went along on this war in retaliation for 911, I find it most insulting that you Americans don't show a little more gratitude. OUR fallen soldiers, for YOUR cause, means nothing to you? I'll be sure to remember that.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
GOOD for Canada.
Now if only we could get our troops to be withdrawn, so the ME can deal with their own problems.

As for the Taliban not fighting? Why would they? The greatest mind to ever grace the Presidency showed his hand to the enemy and they know when we are leaving.
Why fight when the other side will just give up?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Seeing as Canada went along on this war in retaliation for 911, I find it most insulting that you Americans don't show a little more gratitude. OUR fallen soldiers, for YOUR cause, means nothing to you? I'll be sure to remember that.

Not all of the American ATS'ers are Jackholes.
I honor every fallen brother and sister from the US and Canada.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

My apologies to you. I was referring to the couple of members above. And thank you.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Taliban are still there. Iraq is a more successful campaign than Afghanistan if you look it it from a statistical and scientific point of view. If you examine the ratio of US troops on the ground the the amount killed, Afghanistan is a failure compared to Iraq.

Neither mission accomplished anything of any value beyond further lining the pockets of the rich at the expense of the poor. Punkt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join