It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Bot Has Attack of Amnesia! - Goes Blank! 'Decoded'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Anyway - good luck to you if you feel this taps into a collective consience of peoples ramblings on the internet -

I meant collective unconscious about which Carl Jung felt it was related to psychic phenomenon:

He dabbled in astrology, Kabbalah, alchemy, and so on, seeing each as exhibiting clues to some greater, spiritually based, reality. Furthermore, he used the theory of the collective unconscious not only to explain cross-cultural similarities in mythology and psychological functioning, but as already noted, to explain so-called psychic phenomenon like precognition, telepathy, and synchronicity. All were, to Jung, manifestations of the collective unconscious -- that is, of our unseen linkage, one soul to another, and of our linkage to a higher order of intelligence.

www.nndb.com...

It's a form of precognition that comes out in the language people use. That it is done based on the internet makes sense as the internet is more or less an externalized collective unconscious/consciousness.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by facchinoI absolutely detest people clinging onto this as a genuine method of predicting events - it is so utterly ridiculous it offends me greatly.
I genuinely dont mean to come across as rude to you - but as I said the way people still give this any credence baffles me.

Of course you will feel that way if you are so close minded as to only believe in the newtonian physical universe. We are talking about the collective consciousness here, not random particles bumping into each other. Besides, its not claimed to predict anything just show current trends that may influence the future. If you don't even believe that collective human thought can influence the future then...well wow, just wow. I can understand the reservation to link thought to natural disasters and the like but its well established in a lot of disciplines that group thinking and ideas influence human behaviour on a mass scale.

Take a look at the Global Consciousness Project as well - they are monitoring how collective thinking can influence random number generators. It is based on Quantum Mechanics.

As for the flooding thing it is quite interesting. "Going Walkabout" is an Australian Aboriginal term and as we know Queensland got hit really badly with flooding this year. Could be a link depending on when that report was posted.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Cecilofs

Take a look at the Global Consciousness Project as well - they are monitoring how collective thinking can influence random number generators. It is based on Quantum Mechanics.

Ah yes. Similar concept. Thanks for bringing that up. That of course brings up the interesting distinction between what is simply precognition and what is influenced.

Could be a link depending on when that report was posted.

This particular one is issue 9 published 1/25/11

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
OH FFS not another web-bot episode. Please OP share your experience where this web bot has predicted something? Anything?

Are you the owner of the web bot? Seriously, web - bot = crap

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Close minded because I don't think that what HUMANS type on Internet pages is somehow an expression of an unconscious mind!! Not close minded - rational thought are the words you are looking for.

Seriously - try living in the real world. Where the future cannot be forecast / predicted by something that scans a huge collection of words on the Internet.

I also just noticed you said it doesn't predict things - so between the OP(predict), you(current trend influence future) coyotepoet(forecast)- you all think webbot does different things.
Perhaps you all need to establish between you what it does before defending it so vigorously?!

edit on 7-7-2011 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I'm not a big supporter but its an interesting idea that could have some merit.

The point of mentioning the Global Consciousness Project is that is a similar idea but being researched at a widely renowned University. So basically even mainstream science is taking these sorts of ideas seriously and you can't just wave your hand and call it bull# because it doesn't fit with current mainstream scientific ideas.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't wish harm to anyone, unless of course you are the scum of the earth, with that being said, I suspect that even after California has it's next catastrophic earthquake of 8.0 and above and the golden gate is sitting at the bottom of the bay, that people will still not believe in DEC 21, 2012. To say huge changes are coming globally is an understatement, think its not coming to your back yard ? well, ok, good luck with that.

Great post by the way

edit on 11-7-2011 by Bane5930 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I can understand the reservation to link thought to natural disasters and the like but its well established in a lot of disciplines that group thinking and ideas influence human behaviour on a mass scale.

I am not aware of anything other than books like those by Carlos Castenada that make such a claim. There was the prayer and pregnancy study that was faked. Can you tell me where this has been well established? Is there anything in peer reviewed journals?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Can you tell me where this has been well established? Is there anything in peer reviewed journals?

You will also find information out there from skeptics saying that this didn't really have any influence at all, but there are always skeptics that deny anything that steps outside of the material world mindset.

This study presents the final results of a two-month prospective experiment to reduce violent crime in Washington, DC. On the basis of previous research it was hypothesized that the level of violent crime in the District of Columbia would drop significantly with the creation of a large group of participants in the Transcendental Meditation® and TM-Sidhi® programs to increase coherence and reduce stress in the District. This National Demonstration Project to Reduce Violent Crime and Improve Governmental Effectiveness brought approximately 4,000 participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs to the United States national capital from June 7 to July 30, 1993. A 27-member independent Project Review Board consisting of sociologists and criminologists from leading universities, representatives from the police department and government of the District of Columbia, and civic leaders approved in advance the research protocol for the project and monitored its progress.

Based on the results of the study, the steady state gain (long-term effect) associated with a permanent group of 4,000 participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs was calculated as a 48% reduction in HRA crimes in the District of Columbia. Given the strength of these results, their consistency with the positive results of previous research, the grave human and financial costs of violent crime, and the lack of other effective and scientific methods to reduce crime, policy makers are urged to apply this approach on a large scale for the benefit of society.

www.istpp.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

You will also find information out there from skeptics saying that this didn't really have any influence at all, but there are always skeptics that deny anything that steps outside of the material world mindset.

I will take a look at this study.

Please do not confuse skeptics with naysayers. They are very different.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

OH FFS not another web-bot episode. Please OP share your experience where this web bot has predicted something? Anything?

Here's something interesting from the recent report, published 7/1/11

The data sets would have it that the [egyptian revolution] has yet to begin. That the previous street actions will be [returning] with [increased strength] in Fall

Not quite fall yet but this article from 7/8/11 indicates that it is far from over in Egypt.

Tahrir Square- "This Time we're here to stay"

It will be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It should be pointed out that this research is self published and did not make it into the peer review process, which is what I asked about.

It seems that Hagelin is the winner of a 1994 Ignoble prize.
1994 Ignoble Peace Prize

John Hagelin of Maharishi University and The Institute of Science,
Technology and Public Policy, promulgator of peaceful thoughts,
for his experimental conclusion that 4,000 trained meditators
caused an 18 percent decrease in violent crime in Washington, D.C.

I am looking to see what discussions exist about this study to see what support and criticisms exist.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So here is another thing I bumped into while looking for a discussion on the issue:
40,000 Yogic Flyers Can't Be Wrong

Several weeks ago, Hagelin held a news conference in Washington D.C. in which he announced his desire to raise $1,000,000,000, the interest from which will fund a squad of 40,000 trained yogic flyers. "The 40,000 Yogic Flyers would act like a giant radio transmitter," thus constituting a "Vedic Defense Shield" for the prevention of war.

I remember seeing videos of these guys bouncing around with folded legs claiming they were levitating.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I found a discussion of the claim here:
Ramtha’s School of Quantum Flapdoodle

In 1993, 4,000 meditators gathered in Washington, D.C. under the direction of physicist John Hagelin. Hagelin predicted in advance that the meditations would drive down the violent crime rate in the city by 25 percent that summer. Despite the fact that the murder rate actually rose, Hagelin announced a year later that his analysis proved that the violent crime rate fell just as he had predicted.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

I can understand the reservation to link thought to natural disasters and the like but its well established in a lot of disciplines that group thinking and ideas influence human behaviour on a mass scale.

I am not aware of anything other than books like those by Carlos Castenada that make such a claim. There was the prayer and pregnancy study that was faked. Can you tell me where this has been well established? Is there anything in peer reviewed journals?

See: The stock market and the economy.

A mass system of trade that has a large component based on trying to predict human behaviour and the effect that group think will have on the market. Should I invest in this stock or is the flooding in Australia going to make more people nervous and unwilling to invest? Should I set up my company in Australia where they are about to introduce a Carbon Tax or in China where the labour is cheap and there will be no tax? Is it a good idea to buy into this pharmaceutical company when there's just been a story in the newspaper about their medicine being dodgy? Or will too many people pull out and the bottom will fall out of the stock?

Moreover - oh war in the middle east, better put our oil prices up tomorrow!!

See: 9/11

The shock and terror of a nation (Group thinking) unites them with a common enemy that sets the stage for a full scale invasion of two middle eastern countries. These wars have been going for 10 years now and have affected the lives of millions of people across the globe (If not every person on earth).

So yeah, mass scale group thinking has and always will have effects on the way humans behave (which is what I said). As I said I can understand the hesitance to say that group thinking can affect physical phenomena, but I don't rule the idea out completely.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I do agree that humans interact in complex ways, but that does not appear to be what the original discussion is about especially your example.

We are talking about the collective consciousness here, not random particles bumping into each other. Besides, its not claimed to predict anything just show current trends that may influence the future. If you don't even believe that collective human thought can influence the future then...well wow, just wow. I can understand the reservation to link thought to natural disasters and the like but its well established in a lot of disciplines that group thinking and ideas influence human behaviour on a mass scale.

As for the flooding thing it is quite interesting. "Going Walkabout" is an Australian Aboriginal term and as we know Queensland got hit really badly with flooding this year. Could be a link depending on when that report was posted.

In the example you mention the Global Consciousness Project. The claims there are far different than the claims that people act and react in complex ways when they interact. The market is a result of direct human interactions. The GCP claims an indirect reaction exists.

The stock market prices do not vary without direct human interaction. Unless a sale occurs, then no price changes occur. Buying and selling is initiated by humans or by computers using rules created by humans.

The GCP monitoring is done with the idea that the devices are altered by humans without the humans probably knowing that the devices exist. No one makes a decision or lays out a rule to alter the device.

The stock market is not an appropriate example for the issue being discussed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join