It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grueling Race Puts Up Obstacles, Especially for One Man

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Grueling Race Puts Up Obstacles, Especially for One Man

online.wsj.com

The "Death Race," a 24-hour obstacle-course competition that begins Saturday in Vermont, is advertised as so difficult it "will make giving birth seem like a walk in the park."

Typically, fewer than a quarter of participants are able to finish.

This year's 200 competitors include accomplished triathletes, military special forces and a person who has been called the "world's fittest man."

The race's organizers, though, are focused on Hobie Call, a 34-year-old father of five who...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6/26/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This sure sounds like a lot of fun and makes one wonder why the sponsored races are happening.

To race and win it, whether the $100,000 were on the line, or not, sounds like an awesome experience.

I bet very few are going to come close to this man when it comes to competing.

This is something which manages to pique my interest.

World Championship Spartan Death Race 2010

You can bet when he wins that several military organizations are going to try and recruit him.

Whether he is interested or not, I'm not sure, but this type of motivation is something that will draw their attention.

You better believe this will end with a lot of pain and happiness it is over.

Sports: Surviving the Death Race - nytimes.com/video

And just after Obama announced pulling out of Afghanistan.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/26/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
thats actually pretty cool. that has to be grueling, but i think it is unfair/rigged, or atleast, it will be.

But so far, Mr. Call has won six in a row. Now, the race owners are intent on stopping him, saying that if he wins Saturday's Death Race, they'll give $20,000 to anyone who can beat him in the future.

Race organizers are looking for someone to defeat him. Mr. De Sena, an institutional trader, says he invested his life savings in the series and will have to pay $100,000 out of his own pocket if Mr. Call reaches the goal. "We were told we should get insurance," he says. "We laughed and said no one could do this."

online.wsj.com...

seems like they didn't think anyone could actually do this, so they're offering money for someone to beat him. i hope he wins and takes the money.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I hope the man smokes their contests, whether it's fixed, or not.

If they had had this back a few years ago I would have entered wholeheartedly.

And back then I would have given him a huge run for that money.

I was doing 6 hours a day of working out between swimming, weight-lifting, and other stuff.

Even had a few logs I would walk with and throw, balance, and toss around.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Maybe next year you could give him a run for his money... it takes 90 days to get fit regardless of your age etc.

P90X [bodybuilding system] [wiki]

It claims to significantly improve physical fitness in 90 days through a rigorous segmented training program combined with a nutrition and dietary supplement plan.

P90X's advertising emphasizes "muscle confusion", a method of cross-training and periodization achieved through switching the order of exercises and incorporating new and varied movements. Muscle confusion supposedly prevents the body from adapting to exercises over time, resulting in continual improvement without plateaus.

Oh and make pain your friend!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Just did a little digging and found a schedule in case anyone was interested.

Quote from : VentureThere : Spartan Race: Qualifying for the Death Race

Scrambling, spears, running, barbwire, fire, biking, axes, crawling, Legos, swimming: this is just a sampling of ingredients for the hottest interdisciplinary series to hit the 24-hour racing scene.

Spartan Race: Qualifying for the Death RacePhoto: Caleb Kenna for The New York Times
The Death Race course spans 10 miles of mountain trails, ravines, lakes, underbrush and a burnt-out
thicket.

The Spartan Race is a qualifying series which combines a 5k run with 12 outrageous obstacles, where the top three winners are entered into the infamous Death Race - an epic climax in one of the most unlikely places: Pittsfield, Vermont.

The Death Race is scheduled for June 26, and only 100 participants from across the globe will be lucky enough to compete. If you can make it through the Spartan Race, that is.

Spartan Race Schedule:

Burlington, VT USA - Sun, May 16th 2010

Montreal, CAN - Sun, Jul 4th 2010

Toronto, CAN - Sun, Jul 11th 2010

New York City, NY USA - Sun, Aug 15th 2010

Boston, MA USA - Sat, Aug 28th 2010

Cambridge, UK - Sun, Sep 19th 2010

Manchester UK - Sun, Oct 3rd 2010

Los Angeles, CA - Sun, Dec 12th 2010

None of them are coming anywhere near close to where I'm at though.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Is that a challenge mate?

Sure hope you're not opening your mouth without planning on getting in on it.

The time I was working out massively I lost 85 pounds.

Went from 360 to 275 and I'm sure there is a differential from fat lost to muscle gained.

I started out small, walking 1 mile a day, 30 minutes of weights, swimming 5 laps in the pool.

By the time I stopped it was walking 5 miles a day, 45 minutes of weights at home/1 hour at the gym, 30 laps in the pool, and various exercises in the pool afterwards, and I was just getting back into running, and started rock-climbing on a wall.

Plus the logs I was using during my walks.

It was 6 hours a day by the time I was doing all of that and between work.

Broke it down into manageable pieces throughout a busy day.

Don't challenge me unless you're going to be there so I can whoop you mate.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Explanation:
I actually ment only to inspire you... but you have a point!

Personal Disclosure: I will deeply consider making pain my freind again... its recently gained enemy status and I should rectify that asap
I'll see you at the summit!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Makes me want to pick up my fitness levels again! I used to be extremely athletic but I'm afraid apart from brute force I can't really excel much nowadays. I get out of breath after 10 minutes of jogging. Too much partying.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation:
I actually ment only to inspire you... but you have a point!

Personal Disclosure: I will deeply consider making pain my freind again... its recently gained enemy status and I should rectify that asap
I'll see you at the summit!

Oh I need no motivation from anyone else.

I am a self-motivator mate and I'll motivate you.

During Boot Camp the Drill Sergeant's would look at me funny when I asked to keep running.

I would lap other members of my platoon and I asked to go finish their run with them.

I did this during A.I.T., Advance Individual Training too, and my Platoon Guide improved massively.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Makes me want to pick up my fitness levels again! I used to be extremely athletic but I'm afraid apart from brute force I can't really excel much nowadays. I get out of breath after 10 minutes of jogging. Too much partying.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

Like I mentioned before I was just getting back into running.

That was after after not having run since 1993 and was around 2001-2004 time.

I did the 1-Mile run during Boot Camp at 6 minutes 36 seconds.

My 2-Mile run was around 15 minutes.

I miss running the most out of all the exercises I did during Boot Camp.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
just watched the video
that is crazy!

i wonder how many people are seriously injured with broken arms/legs, bad cuts, hypothermia etc. a medium build seems to be the most versatile, and therefore better for the majority of the tasks. body builders will burn more energy just keeping the pace, while light runners will have problems lifting heavy loads.

its incredible what the human body can do.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
just watched the video
that is crazy!

i wonder how many people are seriously injured with broken arms/legs, bad cuts, hypothermia etc. a medium build seems to be the most versatile, and therefore better for the majority of the tasks. body builders will burn more energy just keeping the pace, while light runners will have problems lifting heavy loads.

its incredible what the human body can do.

Watched the video too after editing it into the original post.

Looked awesome as Hell to me.

And part of the challenge is enduring those serious injuries you reference.

Spartan Race : Obstacle Racing Challenge

Found the website as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just wrote these people a brief e-mail.

Spartan Race,

You need to add an additional optional race.

It can be called "The Hot Gates" in reference to Thermopylae.

It's not about a "race" as in running but about beating a clock to build up a defensible position, a choke point, if you will, within a time frame.

The purpose could also be for one group to build the "Hot Gate" defense and another to figure out how to beat it.

If you're interested let me know and I can be more specific.

(Personal Profile Off of ATS Deleted)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

(Name Deleted)

Keep in mind I am seeking employment from various means.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
interesting...

I have a slight problem.... why are the special forces losing?

major issues...

I ll refrain from stating the issue with it... spec-ops should be winning... a very bad sign...

I leave the possibility that they do not enter for security reasons but still those that do should have won...

very interesting find...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Looks and sounds a lot like SFAS. Many in the SF communities would have eatin' this course up. There would have to be more challanges.

But it does look like a great way to spend the day...back in my youth.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

i had an idea. why doesn't the military use a similar course for training? it could be a bit more solo-survival based, but it sure as hell would make soldiers able to push through more pain.

maybe have it as an intro requirement into certain branches of the service.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

They already do that. And it is a whole lot tougher than this race. Certain branches, that is. As a requirement for entrance though, I think it does have merit.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Oh My God, I want to do this race so bad right now.

I have participated in urban races, but those are cake walks compared to this. I'm too beefy now for this kind of race though, I probably wouldn't have the endurance, but I would love to try.

I hope this guys smokes the hell out of this race. This underdog stuff really gets my blood up. I love it!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

You say you're beefy? That may just give you the edge in a race like this. Depends upon your overall health though.

The body will use that "Fat" reserve to give you more energy than those with the "Cut" bodies over a long period of time.

I have seen it time and time again.

Just keep it in moderation buddy.
edit on 26-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join