It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rochester police ticket attendees where lady was arrested on front yard who are parked more than 12

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Senteri

It really doesn’t matter, “Bird-Dogging” by the police department is considered harassment. They’ll get sued over it, and most likely folks will lose jobs or have to step down.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

No cop is going to be "sued" over a legitimate parking ticket in the city of Rochester. I understand hoping it will but reality has a nasty way of getting in the way. If anything the cops will be temporarily dismissed or reassigned just because they embarrassed the RPD publicly but Rochester is the last place I have ever been where you have a shot in hell suing a cop over a ticket you deserved to get.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

None of that matters. I am sorry. I hate to have to break it to you guys. Read my post history and see all the crap I took for being on Good's side of the argument. See where I obviously pointed out how clearly I understand that these cops hung around and went out of their way to intimidate and ticket out of revenge.

That being said...

This is Rochester, NY we are talking about where they actually have pretty specific parking laws and cops with plenty of time to enforce them. Please spend a day parking around town and come back to report what bothered you more. Not being able to get down half the streets or being ticketed the moment your back was turned? Because that is what Rochester is like.

More importantly, if the cops are going to target you just because the cops have a stick up their ass it does not mean you can break the law and cry that you were targeted. Trust me, plead not guilty. Go see the ADA and explain other cars that were parked illegally did not get ticketed. See if you get out of your ticket. Try saying the same cop stood outside your house all day just to watch you park. They are going to tell you that you should have been that much more careful to not break the law then if you already knew the cops were picking on you. You will pay your fine. You will not collect $200. You will not pass go.

I am not sure if Senteri is familiar with the city but it is where I learned to drive. These people messed up. The cops messed up. If these people had just parked correctly, like they would in their own neighborhood I am sure - then what would the cops have done? Stood around standing around? That would have been a little better result for the people claiming the cops are unfair wouldn't it?

All I am saying and all I am taking from those posts is that if you are going to have a meeting about how the cops are unfairly targeting people you should probably park legally. That only makes sense. As I have said many times before, anyone from the 19th Ward knows exactly why it is a huge pain in the ass and a danger to have cars parked a foot or more from the curb. These nice people went into someone else's neighborhood and parked illegally. Well, the cops that had it in for them found an excuse to legitimately hassle them. Why give that to the cops? These people should know better and that many people parking that poorly from that neighborhood just does not help them make the case that the cops are mean.

I do not get to stand around selling street drugs and then complain that when I get caught I was only caught because I was being unfairly targeted. If I am actually guilty of the crime I am charged with I am out of luck. These people are actually guilty of parking infractions they could have easily avoided.

I am not saying the cops were not going out of their way to target these folks. What I am saying is that in Rochester if you park illegally you are going to get a ticket anyway so the very specific posts claiming that it is too hard to park that close to the curb need to understand that is not an excuse in Rachchacha. It just does not work and does not help you argue about how mean the cops are. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

You're right, they are not going to get in any trouble for the tickets, they are going to get in trouble for the harassing manner in which they stalked the meeting.

edit on 6/26/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

You're right, they are not going to get in any trouble for the tickets, they are going to get in trouble for the harassing manner in which they stalked the meeting.

Eh...maybe. I agree that they should though.
These people will not get out of their tickets nor win a lawsuit over them though. What they will do is go back to the 19th Ward and complain about all the asshats that parked to far from the curb on their street.

Everyone loses.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I would hope that this happening within 24 hours of the mayor’s statement that he would allow the police to perform their own “fair” investigation, he would be so embarrassed that he would want the chiefs resignation in his desk Monday morning. I know that if I was in his shoes, that’s what I would want.

I would also want the officers involved with bird-dogging the event fired and charged with stalking, and conspiracy to obstruct.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

You can want things all day long.

I guess this is where I failed. I was moved into the 19th Ward when I was 5. I got my driver's license 3 months after my 16th birthday. I moved out of the 19th Ward when I was 19. More than a decade later, I live just 6-7 minutes from the Western border of the 19th Ward - where I still travel to and through. I live in what is a suburb of Rochester. See I thought I would add a little realistic perspective from that point of view. I am sorry I forgot how exciting the media circus around Rochester being a murderous gang ridden wasteland full of SS cops is way more interesting.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Kitilani because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I originally thought that Emily Good had no business being charged with a crime just for being a jerk.

Likewise, say this to yourself out loud. "Those people should not be charged with the crimes they are guilty of because the cops were jerks about it." I am just trying to be realistic.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

reply to post by dubiousone

I am not going to argue about whether or not the cops were doing their job right or being complete wastes of human life. What I am going to say is that when meeting to talk about how unfairly the police target law abiding citizens you should not break the law to have that meeting.

When going to court to fight bogus charges, parking in front of a fire hydrant outside the courthouse is not a good idea no matter how bogus the charges are.

Try not to be so reactionary and see that my only goal is that these people prove these cops were bad by allowing them to look bad, not by breaking laws to goad them into looking worse.

If someone in my neighborhood were hassled like that the the community rallied around them - I would say yay.
If the community decided to have a meeting to discuss it together - I would say yay.
If the community parked across from my driveway in order to have that meeting - I would have to call 911 and have them towed so I could use my driveway and my car. At that point it would not really matter to me how mean or unfair the cops seemed while ticketing as long as I maintain my right to leave my own driveway unhindered by people who fail to park where legally allowed to.

Sorry if that came out as some sort of support for the cops but I know what it is like to have people with a good goal and good intentions screw it all up by forgetting themselves.

I kind of picture it a lot like this.

These people want to defend Miss Good. So let's say they get the chance to speak to someone in a position of authority. They will be asked, "Aren't you Mr. Suchandsuch who recently complained about getting a ticket for obstructing traffic and causing a road hazard?"

"Uh yup"

"Were you guilty of that crime, sir?"

"Uh yup"

"Ok, please sit down and tell me all about how unfair the cops were for arresting Miss Good."

I am not really taking any side here I am just trying to offer up the advice of not murdering the court clerk on your way to the stand to give your defense. It is just probably not going to help you get anywhere. So far it seems that all it really did was make the police look bad as they already did and got a lot of people some tickets. Not much of a victory if you ask me.

Imagine if it were cops leaving stolen money 13 inches from the curb. Obviously everyone would agree that is just the cops setting people up for a crim to bust them on. A community meeting full of bad parkers might seem like the same going the other way.

Perception and results are usually more important than what any of us online think should be "right."

Sorry if that came out as toe stepping. I was just offering my view. I am all done here.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephlimKilla
Youtube Video Here

Yes, you heard right! 4 squad cars were sent to ticket cars more than 12 inches away from the curb and they even brought a ruler with them!! Wow, this is our tax dollars at work, really? They honestly did not have anything better to do with their hours of shift??

Being Rochester i am sure they did have more important things to do...BUT i think the more important question to be asked here is..." Did they do this on other streets in Rochester as well? Or just hers?"

Does anyone know the answer to that? It does seem fishy that it was done 20 minutes prior to a meeting to show support for her...but if her street wasn't the only street....then they were doing their job.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
NY's Finest A_HOLES at work " Like the motto states "To serve no one but themselves", and to "Abuse all who aren't one of them", "you must give us respect but we'll give none in return" "courtesy whats that mean" that's what should be printed on their cars.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephlimKilla
Youtube Video Here

Yes, you heard right! 4 squad cars were sent to ticket cars more than 12 inches away from the curb and they even brought a ruler with them!! Wow, this is our tax dollars at work, really? They honestly did not have anything better to do with their hours of shift??

Obviously it's because the Police don't like the idea of a whole neighborhood coming together. But here where I live it's 17" off a curb, and I've called Police many times to remove cars for people who look shady/shifty- that I generally don't like by using the 17" rule.

I mean, you can usually tell the bubble-heads in the world, those that choose to live in a society, but refuse to follow rules, the ones that usually don't live in an area, simply by looking at how they park near a curb.

The short version is: "You don't sh*t where you eat". People who live in an area take far more care, from my experience.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I live in downtown rochester. I hear gunshots at night several times a week.

i wish the police would do their job instead of harassing law-abiding citizens.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani
I feel someone from the 19th Ward in Rochester, NY really needs to interject here. Crime stats are bad. Bad things happen it the Flour city. Unfortunately, in all my years of walking and driving, I would rather walk down most streets in the city of Rochester than drive down them. Why? Because the streets are too damn small for people to park a foot from the curb. I hate scraping paint off my car because other people cannot pull up to a curb. As of yet, I have yet to shot at or rolled for drug money.

If there is anything useful the cops in Rochester can be doing, it is ticketing the cars. Sending four cars to patrol one building for hours...is something a little different. The whole reason I did not buy the cop crying about how scared he was of Emily Good is because I know the biggest threat he faces on a regular basis in rochester is scraping the paint off his cruiser and he knows it too.

While I agree in some sense, in another sense you are full of it. A cop was shot in the back of the head with a .22 bya 12 year old like 2 years ago. Rochester is a rough town....Im sure you arent walking around the 19th ward at midnight. I sure as hell wouldnt.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
If drivers cannot park within 12 inches of the curb, then they should NOT be driving in the first place. From some of the parking jobs that I have seen, I am glad to see this being enforced to be honest.

Edit: if this was done for reasons of spite due to that earlier incident that occurred there, then I do not agree with it. But if it was done purely for the sake of penalizing horrible parking jobs, than I am all for it.

A darn monkey can park a car within 12 inches of a curb for crying out loud...

edit on 25-6-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

Look at you being such a well trained "citizen".

You should be very happy in your smug compliance.

Half a freakin inch dude! HALF!

"The spirit of the law giveth life but the letter taketh it away".

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Well just to be fair. You are kind of supposed to be able to not only park less than 12 inches from the curb, but parallel park less than 12 inches from the curb to get your license so if you cannot do that simple thing...what other qualifications for driving do you fail?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Now if I am coming towards you with a knife, firearm, bat, sharpened stick... do you KNOW what I am going to do with it? With 100% certainty? Do you allow me to get close enough to stick whatever is in my hand into/through your body or do you defend yourself from a perceived threat?

I often see people who have acted aggressively towards me begin to approach me while in possession of a firearm. Should I defend myself against the police officers who are threatening me in such a manner?

21 feet...that is a joke. I used to work admission in a state mental hospital. Upon admission, most patients were ordered "1:1, Arms Length". This means that a staff is assigned 1 on 1 with this patient, and can never get out of arms length. In all those years, I was only hit 1 time. I couldn't even begin to count the times that some ill person took a swing at me, and I had them laying on the ground with neither of us being harmed.

Strange that I, as an 18 year old, can manage to do it better with far less training than your average officer holding a gun.

On a side note, one of the greatest rewards is when you treat a violently mental patient with kindness and compassion, not allowing their violent acts towards you to be taken personally, and then one day you come to work to find the medications are now working. When someone like this can take the time to come up to you and apologize for their behavior, and thank you for your humanity, it makes any other problems you have at that time go away completely. Low paying menial work, but i miss that job sometimes.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
double
edit on 26-6-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Youmakemewonder
reply to post by felonius

Well just to be fair. You are kind of supposed to be able to not only park less than 12 inches from the curb, but parallel park less than 12 inches from the curb to get your license so if you cannot do that simple thing...what other qualifications for driving do you fail?

Wrong.

In the state of texas it is 18". Most states, even if these types of rules are different, have "reciprocacy". Meaning I can move to Rochester and park 18" from the curb (assuming it is ok) and be ticketed.

of course, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Right? That is why we are required to may thousands for an attorney...because we are presumed to not be ignorant of the law.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Too bad Rochester, NY is not in Texas or that would have made some sense.

Straighten your wheels, and pull forward. Allow room for the vehicles ahead and behind you to get out. In your final parking position, your wheels must be no more than one foot (30 cm) from the curb.
NYSDMV

What did your link say again?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join