It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major event about to unfold before your eyes

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

It is easy to get a mental picture of a dam getting a crack and bursting like a good movie or spilling over the top as if the lake is a big bowl full of water. However the threat is more of a liquification. here is a youtube clip of a landslide/liquification. Watch how the hill is turned into liquid and what happens. That is a great threat here with this dam they are talking about....or at least that is my understanding.

there is some cursing in this video so if it offends you, you might want to mute it.

edit on 23-6-2011 by mrsdudara because: trying to get the video up

edit on 23-6-2011 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

hmm you'll have to click on the link. i cant get it to embed correctly.

Another thing to consider, everyone keeps trying to add up the amout of water that would be released, keep in mind, that if this happens, it will destroy every dam on the way down so you need to add those reservoirs as well
edit on 23-6-2011 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Where does it say this: "To make matters worse all the webcams for the dam seem to not be pointed at the damn at the moment?!?! "
And again, hundreds of thousands of people are to just "get up and go" based on a post on an internet website?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Greetings Sheepslayer. Although I'm fairly new to posting links, I'll do the best I can. Here are just a few. If anyone out there can redo them for me if necessary, please do so. Thank you.
www.ketv.com... will take you to many of the newest flood information such as:

•Overview

•Latest Coverage

•Timeline

•Maps

•u local Photos

•Resource Links

Read more: www.ketv.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

CL, do you realize that there are 6 dams in all beginning with Ft. Peck and the last being Gavins Pt? We are not only talking about Ft. Peck. We are talking about a domino effect here. These dams are filled to capacity and have never had this much pressure exerted against them for such a long period of time. You mentioned gravity. The Missouri begins at approx 8000 ft and empties into the Mississippi at approx 400 feet. I'd say that is quite a drop albeit over alot of miles. However, if each of these 6 dams fails, it's the amount of water and the unimaginable force that is the major concern here.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmonix
reply to post by kdial1

Where does it say this: "To make matters worse all the webcams for the dam seem to not be pointed at the damn at the moment?!?! "
And again, hundreds of thousands of people are to just "get up and go" based on a post on an internet website?

No, Not hundreds of thousands. Not yet, But this is a small sample of how it's beginning in just one of the towns evacuating.
MILLS COUNTY, Iowa -- Rising waters have pushed officials to issue a mandatory evacuation order for a part of Mills County.

The evacuation area includes the homes west of Interstate 29 and south of Gaston Avenue to the Fremont County line.

According to a news release from Mills County Emergency Management, rising groundwater east of the Missouri River levee system has made some roads impassable. The agency said there was no immediate threat of a breach in the levee as of Thursday afternoon.

The sheriff said the evacuation order will affect more than 100 homes.

Residents in the evacuation area are required to leave as soon as possible, but no later than 4 p.m. Friday. Local crews will begin shutting off utilities in the area at that time. Homeowners can request utility shut off by contacting their utility company.

An emergency Red Cross shelter has been set up at East Mills High School in Malvern.

20 miles20 miles© 2011 Microsoft Corporation © 2010 NAVTEQ © 2011 Microsoft Corporation © 2010 NAVTEQ 2D3DRoadAerialBird's eyeLabelsSee this location in bird's eye view
Bing Maps 3D has finished updating

Read more: www.ketv.com...

And to answer you first question which is, "Where does it say this: "To make matters worse all the webcams for the dam seem to not be pointed at the damn at the moment?!?

Here is the link to the Ft. Peck Dam Cam, See for yourself. www.wrh.noaa.gov...

edit on 24-6-2011 by jerzee14 because: still learning to post links!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Well I'm sorry mate but your math wasn't really up to scratch, so I was just throwing some ideas out to see what other people say.

But yeah, cheers for keeping that horse going. Someone should report you for animal cruelty.

ETA Jerzee; thanks. Good to see that there's some common sense resistance to what is effectively 'nothing to see here, move along' disinfo.
edit on 24-6-2011 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Here, I embedded the vid for you.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Wow thanks for explaining that to me without using the words "troll" or "complete idiot". You get a star for that.

edit on 24-6-2011 by semicolonsmile because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2011 by semicolonsmile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Breaking News.. Brownsville Levee Near Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska Just Broke! Here We Go !!!!,

This is happening in the general region of this thread here, isn't it?
My best wishes and prayers to those affected.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

hey no worries man, just thought you came down a tad hard on him, I thought it was funny - i guess if english isnt your first language it would be easy enough to miss. all the best dude

on topic now - I heard on the news that this is nothing to worry about, wont be a problem, the dams can take it... hmmm

just read the post above! proves how full of sh!t the msm are!

I hope everyone over there is safe.
edit on 24-6-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmonix
reply to post by kdial1

Not expecting anyone to leave, we at ATS just provide information to concerned citizens that the MSM will not report on.

The choice is yours. I simply suggested finding a high point within your community and stashing a few supplies there.

-Kdial1

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Swordbeast

Thanks

One of these days im going to take the time to learn the new ATS
it has changed A LOT since I joined .

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Actually, the Glasgow he is referring to is in Scotland.... NOT Ireland.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jerzee14

Yes, I do realize that. You guys are all assuming that every single dam along the river will fail. I, on the other hand, am not. In fact, the further down the river you get, the less likely this is to happen. I would expect Fort Peck to fail. I wouldn't be surprised if Garrison failed - in fact, I might expect that, as well. But, to then have Oahe, Big Bend, Fort Randall, and Gavins Point fail would be an absolute worst-case scenario, and, as far as I'm concerned, is pure fear-mongering.

And FlyInTheOintment: I will keep beating my dead horse for as long as all of you keep beating yours.

Also, when did I ever say "nothing to see here, move on"? Already, I've said this several times, but I guess I need to say it once more...
The failure of the Fort Peck dam would be disastrous enough without hyping it up to "Biblical proportions" with the addition of nuclear disasters and the obliteration of the entire central US.
Such a failure would be catastrophic all on its own, and we should, in no way, be "moving on" from this. But we don't need to be exaggerating it to ridiculous extremes. Such ridiculous exaggeration only hurts the cause.
edit on 24-6-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

hi there i was looking on the site news before it news and it has the information to go with what ur saying u should have a look

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Found this on today and I thought you might like to read it for a scale.
Read the one page article, it has some good information on how it could happen.

Here is a likely scenario: Garrison, Oahe and three other downstream earthen dams would have to catch and hold a massive amount of water, an area covering nearly 250 square miles 100 feet deep. But earthen dams, when overtopped with floodwater, do not stand. They break and erode away, usually within an hour. All are full. There is a possibility a failure of Fort Peck Dam could lead to a domino-like collapse of all five downstream dams. It probably would wreck every bridge, highway, pipeline and power line and split the heartland of the nation, leaving a gap 1,500 miles wide. Countless sewage treatment plants, toxic waste sites and even Superfund sites would be flushed downstream. The death toll and blow to our economy would be ghastly. Years after Katrina and the New Orleans levee breaks, professional engineers and a federal court judge ruled theCorps of Engineers was to blame.

Can we trust the source? He has the background, but is writing a new book on the dangers.

Bernard Shanks, an adviser to the Resource Renewal Institute, has studied the six main-stem Missouri River dams for more than four decades. He has worked for the U.S. Geological Survey and served as director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. He has written three books on public land policy and is completing a book on the hazards of the Missouri River dams

Source Fort Peck Journal

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This will probably be my last post or reply on this thread. CLPRime. I don't know how to be more descriptive. It's never just the H2O coming at you in a dam burst, it's all the debris being carried along with it. At Johnstown the debris built a series of temp dams that caused the waters to build up to thirty feet or so, and then burst through again and again. As I posted, it looks to me that that nuclear plant is in an old slough or meander of the Big Muddy. By definition, any slough was once the channel. And there was never a big earthen dam break causing it to change channels in those days. This is supposed to be flood control, but if this Spring really is a high water year of Biblical proportions, then like stretching a rubber band to it's breaking point, the flood control dams could indeed snap and change the course of the river to boot. I live near some pretty mean rivers. But what I personally fear isn't above my head, it's what lies downstream. If the steep canyon walls were to cave in and block the impoundments, the present water levels would turn our little town into a bathtub in a few minutes. This would only happen in a pretty severe Earthquake, but it did happen at Quake Lake, near Yellowstone Park in 1959. The Gov't engneers would have to work from the downstream side of the slide, just like at Quake Lake. Or just wait for the overflow to start wearing down the unconsolidated debris. Right now, the margins of safety engineered into those 1930 flood control dams on the Missouri River must be stretching pretty tight. And there will be so much debris, that the floods will throw up temp levees of debris that will re-focus the main thrusts downstream, as well as build up new spillways. So instead of a smooth flow, you will see a sawtooth pattern of new plunge pools and relocating of channels. We can see these same structures in our roadside geology out in the Scab Lands. We call them the "Potholes". Each pothole is circular and was scoured out in a day or so. Some are quite deep little lakes even after 20,000 years of detritus filling them in. But rest assured that the Gov't engineers have a study or two on the ultimate disaster if their engineering fails, in a super high water year, like this one. It's filed away. The real kicker is that these were written when the dams were brand new. Add forty years or so, and the pools are half full of fine silt. For us, the three Hells Canyon Dams, (earth filled) would flood us really good, if it was all water. A 600ft high concrete dam on the other hand would only do about half the damage, if it failed in a quake. Either way the temp debris dams would give us about 45 minutes to evacuate. But a quake big enough to breach a gravity concrete dam would cause so much damage that getting up out of the valley like those runaway Sri Lankan Elephants did, would be almost impossible. The last big quake here ran up the Columbia River and it's tributaries, like the veins in a leaf. That was in 1846, and there wasn't much to destroy hereabouts. If TPTB would allow the real hazard engineering to be published before starting some of these modern wonders, they would never get built. For the Missouri valley, that would mean no end to the almost annual flooding up and down the valley. Portland, Ore., flooding was the prime reason for building Grand Coulee in the thirties, the Hells Canyon complex in the fifties, and Dworshak in the early seventies. So you see the PNW is bracketed by about a fifty fifty mix of concrete vs. Earthen Dams. The Big Muddy seems to have all the flood control eggs in one big earthen filled basket. I think that's the reason for the extra concern here for what may happen there through late July of this year. So for you to blithely postulate what you are sure is a worst case scenario, is incredibly foolish. Unless you can unlock those original and now out of date, hydrology studies, you haven't got a clue! The really bad part of this is those original 1930's dust bowl era studies had no clue either, about the wild waters scouring out a nuclear plant's old fuel rod storage pool, and grinding the rods up and depositing them all over the place. When the waters recede, the silt dries, and the Sun turns it into wind blown dust, and then I think you will get my point. Those liberated radio nucleotides don't have to stay buried, or even bedded down in the flood plains. Try and think new of a new Dust Bowl, or dare I say; a new "Fallout Bowl". And this is actually happening right now in Japan through the same wind blown mechanisms around Fukashima. It's not getting up into the stratosphere, like the nuclear bombs back in 1945, but it's slowly getting dispersed around Honshu Island, all the same.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Here is a history lesson with visual support to convey the massive scale
of a disaster flood we could see,IF the Fort Peck dam were to give way.

Teaton Dam..........................................................Fort Peck
80 Billion Gallons................................................1.2 Trillion Gallons
a 3200 long crest.................................................a 15,840 foot (three mile) crest
251,000 acre-feet of water.................................3.7 million acre feet of water

The Teton Dam failed in 1976 releasing 80 billion gallons of water, which emptied in five hours.

Here is the sight and sound of just 80 billion gallons of water giving way.
Turning into a six-mile wide “wall of death”.

Just imagine, Teaton dam wiped out several cities on the
river and it was only 7% the size of this single dam.

Think crop failures and their effect on the World economy.
Dams never fail; well almost never.

Lets just hope we never find out who was right about the destruction it would create.

edit on 24-6-2011 by Absum! because: Sp

edit on 24-6-2011 by Absum! because: sp

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absum!

Lets just hope we never find out who was right about the destruction it would create.

That statement, I will agree with, wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately the officials in charge of public safety seem to have a habit of turning a blind eye and crossing their fingers, paying more attention to the cost of money than the cost of human lives.

Even the slightest possibility of the worst-case scenario should be enough to act to prevent it.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The people downplaying the danger have a poor grasp of fluid dynamics.

Anyone living within the 500 year floodplain of the river is in danger, maybe even the 1,000 year floodplain.

Don't forget, the water from the snowmelt hasn't come yet, and it is record amounts.

The fact that the msm is ignoring the story should be a shock to me, but after what I've witnessed the last few years it isn't.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join