It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some thoughts about community, survival...and the Amish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
There is a thread going in one of the other forums about the Amish and it got me to thinking, enough off topic that I thought I should post my thoughts here, where they belong. Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Anyway, it occurred to me the Amish live very close to the way survivalists live. I bet they would be well positioned for a lot of TSHTF situiations. Which makes me think: The amish have a kind of special legal protection, don't they? I mean, they can live the way they do with very little fedral governmnet intrusion. Which makes me think -- if one group (the Amish) can get this kind of treatment on the basis of their faith, why not another? Suppose somebody set up "the church of survival" where they practiced real sustainable living in a relatively sealed, organic community, very little outside pestering.

I wonder if we might start seeing things along those lines one of these days....

Or, the more pessimistic among you could imagine a darker scenario where TPTB use the proliferation of some cult crazies to shut down good communities...even the Amish themselves.

What do you guys think?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The "Amish" or Quakers, Shakers and Mennonites have been exempt for a few things for centuries.
How or why they are is beyond me, because some have electricity, others don't...some pay tax, others don't.

Now as far as being survivalists'....
They are just living simply.
No modern conveniences.
It's their religious freedom.

Can they survive if SHTF? Sure.
They have lived this long without assistance...I'm sure they will live longer.

As far as starting a religious group and trying to "Be like the Amish"...well...
That might be a little difficult.
I believe there is more red tape once you accept your citizenship.
Once you pay taxes, file for you SSN, or accept gov't assistance.

The problem I see is this:
Would you really give up you computer?

How about your air conditioning? I doubt it.
You going to make clothing and be a farmer? Probably not.
You want to ride in buggies and have no car? Yeeeeah right.

I highly doubt anyone in here would truly enjoy working that hard.
Especially if you give up your "American dream".
You won't have any luxuries...no conveniences.
Think hard about that idea. Then...
Think about the harsh reality those people are used too.

Modern society is spoiled.
To the hilt.
They are not.

Plus the last time a group tried this they all drank some Kool-aid.
Or got raided by the ATF.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
There is a lot to be learned from the Amish and their faith based way of life. However, you don't need a special status to live off of the grid, on a farm or to live simply on a rural plot of land. Just do it if you think you are prepared for it. If you want to get funky look to join a commune (not for me) and build a house out of bales of straw.

I've had the privilege of being able to work within a tight knit Amish community about 15 years ago. I befriended several elders and was even invited to witness a summer barn raising. Not bad for an "Englishman" in a hard hat. They are more savvy than most give them credit for.

National Geographic ran a good special last night regarding the experience that Amish teenagers explore outside of their respective communities. I found it interesting because some communities are more open to outsiders than others and in the more conservative communities you are not permitted to film or take pictures of them.

If you want to equip yourself for the lifestyle, shop where the Amish in my area shop. They specialize in all things non electric.
www.lehmans.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The Amish won't defend themselves either, they will be looted, raped, killed or beaten by the desperate ones.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Amish rules do varey widely by community. In the southern tier region of NY there are many Amish and they are not as self reliant as they let on. The Amish here come over on a daily basis to use phones and recharge there batteries for there power tools. They also pay us "englishers" for car rides to the doctors, and Wal Mart on a weekly basis to do there grocery shopping.

In my personal experience they are hypocrits when it comes to there religous rules. They are more self sustaining for sure, but hardly independent of modern convienances. More like moochers in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The Amish would be better off than the average Englishman, but they would still be in a world of hurt if the SHTF. They are more dependant on modern ways than we realize. Some of them have farmers bale their hay for them with modern equipment. They drive into town more than once a week for supplies. They have their coal delivered. They keep their cold food in modern coolers, but they do put up their own ice in winter up here in my neck of the woods.

I was a little disappointed when I got to see how dependant they are on our modern world. Many have their own businesses with modern equipment that they run off of generators and propane. I'm not judging them, I think I would do the same thing. If the grid failed, they would suffer too. They do cater their businesses to the English and make a living off of us.

I do admire and respect their community. I believe many of them are truly happy. They are very social with their people and get together regularly. This is something the modern world needs to get back to. I don't think modern people realize how much their lives are lacking in this fast paced world we live in.

They are exempt from paying social security taxes because they have opted out of that system completely. They take care of their parents and grandparents until they die. They raise money for medical bills and burned down houses by having stack suppers every Friday night. I love their sense of taking care of their own. This is the way things used to be before government got too big and the church dropped the ball.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
we have Amish here in SE Kansas... maybe their reformed Amish as they use tractors, drive cars and trucks and twice a month we see then shopping in big groups over at Walmart...

yes the produce a lot of their own consumables but not 100% of... matter of fact I would guess it's closer to 60% but they do use what revenue they earn to purchase what they need...

we did have one Amish family apply for health benefits... poor little kid had cancer and they needed help with medical expenses... government assisted health care sucks and as you can guess,,, he didn't make it...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Partygirl, i think the second scenario you mentioned would be more than likely the one to happen

There was an extremely interesting programme on channel 4 a short while back about Amish teenagers coming to live with and share the lives of British teenagers, we're talking from rough london council estates to middle class horsy types with there own "estates". And i have to say these kids came across as intelligent well brought up and thoroughly nice. Although one of the amish boys did get absolutely hammered on spirits one night in a night club (and im not talking about the spirits we see in the paranormal forum
:lol
I have to admire the fact that they also let their teens go out into the world for a period of time to see if they like it.
But, i would miss my computer....
and my hair straighteners.....
and well you get the picture.
(gonna have to live with curly hair after TSHTF, aarghh).

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

a severe blizzard had my brothers town stranded, with no electricity, almost in a panic, this past winter. An amish friend didnt know there was an emergency situation. kinda funny how we are so dependant on electricity, cars, and jobs. the amish work, but they are mainly farmers. they live like the little house on the prarrie.

top topics

join