It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina dad quits job to see son pitch at College World Series

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I just read this article on Yahoo. This dad had to quit his job, because his employer wouldn't give him time off to watch his son pitch in the College World Series. Personally, this really angers me. I honestly hope the dealership fails now. The owner states that his greatest accomplishments are his business and HIS family. Hmmmmm, but nobody eles's family matters. In my opinion, he's scum. Here is a link to the story, and a "digg" where someone has submitted it to digg. If you'd like to let the owner of the dealership know how you feel about it, I'm also including his email address.

Dealership owner's email address: [email protected]

Yahoo News Story

Digg Submission (Digg this up, if you have an account!)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Work to live, not live to work......
the diffrence could mean our childrens future

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EDL2011

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

I'm trying to get my own personal business endeavour off of the ground for that very reason. 9a-5p, 7a-3p, 3p-11p, 11p-7a.. All of these shifts cut into my family time, but I don't have a choice at the moment because I have to support them.

It really sucks, and definitely does NOT feel natural at all.
edit on 21-6-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EDL2011

Amen! My job is just something that allows me the money to do the things I enjoy doing.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This is totally off-topic and unnecessary. You strike me as one of those people who feel the need to take a jab at the President at any chance you can get. Yuck.

Anyway, back on topic:

I plan on emailing the owner of the dealership and giving him a piece of my mind. While I understand that it is his right to run his business however he feels, I also have a right to tell him he is scum. Hopefully the publicity will make some potential employers take notice.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
That's awesome. I'm glad to see people saying no to their employers trying to control them like puppets. It's dumb for his employer to not allow time off for something like that. Way to go dad for sticking it to the boss like that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I wish I had an 8 hour shift to work. Being self employed I'm always at work, no time off, 24/7 on call, constant phone calls, board meetings, etc.

No rules, No Limits, No excuses

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

That is a true father. I have chills right now, no joke! This is the type of guy we should be idolizing. His priorities are in the correct place. His loyalties are in the correct place!

I have quit plenty of jobs, for plenty of stupid reasons, but never one as good as this!!

I am sure people are lining up to hire a guy with this much integrity!! He is going to be just fine.

As decisions go, this one seems as touching as it is impulsive. David Roth, a 57-year-old college graduate, really had quit his job selling Volkswagens and Audis in Greenville, S.C.

He was unemployed but in the stands at TD Ameritrade Park on Sunday, watching his son pitch 7 1/3 innings in a 5-4 victory for South Carolina against Texas A&M.

"Obviously, it was pretty special considering it was Father's Day yesterday," [Michael Roth] said Monday. "I'm glad that he's here. It's been pretty cool having my family here. [...]

"My dad's been a huge inspiration for baseball for me," he said. "It's definitely nice to have him out here."

How hard is it to find another sales job anyway? A car salesman with integrity? I want to go find him and buy a car right now!!
edit on 21-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I only hope I can make such a correct and great decision like that if the situation ever arises with me.

Luckily I love my company, it's a really special place and I'm blessed to work there every day. I can't imagine that EVER being the situation there. But I hope if I was faced with that situation, I would make the right choice as well.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't give him time off either, if you'd rather watch sports than work then that's your problem.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's all about priorities. Obviously, watching his boy play was more important to him than selling another Volkswagon to somebody. I say, good for him. Jobs can be, and often are, replaced. Your kid only grows up once, and not being there during such a moment of excellence would be a little tragic. Imagine the proud Poppa, watching his son play in such a prestigious game!

That's the kind of stuff you just can't buy, no matter how many jobs you have.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
How hard is it to find another sales job anyway? A car salesman with integrity? I want to go find him and buy a car right now!!

I couldn't agree more. I'd buy a car from him. However, I wouldn't buy one from the dealer...ever.

Originally posted by Nosred
I wouldn't give him time off either, if you'd rather watch sports than work then that's your problem.

It wasn't about "sports". It was about his son doing something that very few people get the opportunity to do, and a dad wanting to be there for his son. I'm guessing you're just trolling. Because if you're not, you've got a reading comprehension problem.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

That's horrible.....if I was his boss I'd give him time off.....on the condition he gets me a ticket to go watch with him

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
It wasn't about "sports". It was about his son doing something that very few people get the opportunity to do, and a dad wanting to be there for his son. I'm guessing you're just trolling. Because if you're not, you've got a reading comprehension problem.

The guy should be happy to have a job in the first place, a lot of people are unemployed. If I own a business with a small staff and someone makes a last minute request to skip work for whatever reason, I don't care if your kid was just elected president my livelihood depends on having people to work for me to earn money.

When you accept a job from someone you accept the responsibilities that come with having a job, which includes actually showing up to work.

edit on 21-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I wonder if we would praise the owner if he'd have given the guy time off? Of course not, we wouldn't even know about it. Sounds like the guy went to the media for attention. I am glad he went to his son's game though.

new topics

top topics

join