It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Psycho Quote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Interesting quote from the film American Psycho.

Patrick Bateman: Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

All true if you count stopping terrorism as stopping the NWO.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Patrick. How thought-provoking.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
you should read the Book
its by Brent Easton Ellis

same dood that wrote
"less than zero " &
" rules of attraction"

I found the book to be
better than the movie[ as it is in Most cases]
its all about the little details
and the book has chapters
dedicated to this to get the point across....

although I think the quote is him just
spitting BS over cocktails...
doods an Ivy League/ Elitist serial killer
all I can say is
Read The Book
the movie couldn't even hold a candle to it

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
you should read the Book

same dood that wrote
"less than zero " &
" rules of attraction"

I found the book to be

all I can say is
Read The Book

I will thanks!

Its the same case with 'Fear and loathing in Las Vegas'. The film is good but the book is so much better.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
exactly, reading the book is - a lot better. btw please everyone who hasnt yet read Richard Matheson's "I am legend" too

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Speaking of "Fear And Loathing", I've seen the movie a few times and I honestly still don't know what the hell I'm watching. I've seen some movies about nothing but that one really takes the cake.

I honestly haven't seen or read American Psycho although I'd like to do both at some point.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AboveTheTrees

I did the audio book of
"i am legend" & it was Awesome!
the will smith movie of same title = sucked the big 1

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
American Psycho is a great book; albeit a bit twisted. I read it way back in 1991 when it was originally published, but haven't read it since. I think I may dust off my copy and read it this weekend.

Thanks OP for reminding me of this gem.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
reply to post by TechUnique

Speaking of "Fear And Loathing", I've seen the movie a few times and I honestly still don't know what the hell I'm watching. I've seen some movies about nothing but that one really takes the cake.

I honestly haven't seen or read American Psycho although I'd like to do both at some point.

You have to have been in some pretty weird and crazy situations to understand 'Fear and loathing' properly and get the humour and representation of that kinda state of mind.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I've been in my fair share of those but I to me it just looks like you need to be on drugs to watch the movie to truly get it.

I mean, I got lost in Scotland when I visited the country on a whim to see if I could find an open mic night and ended up sharing a steel hut with a hobo beside train tracks but the things I saw in that movie.....

Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
American Psycho is basically a commentary on money and class in America. There are lots of little other themes treated and some big ones (alienation, lonliness), but at root it is about money and class.

The most profound disjunct is that between Patrick's outer appearance (polished, sophisticated, handsome, successful, well-educated, good conversationalist, etc.) and his inner poverty of being ("There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable, I simply am..not..there.").

The book pounds home this disjunct with page after page breathtaking, relentless materialism: As every single character is introduced, for example, he or she is not described based on looks, but by the brands he happens to be wearing. Despite his endless wallowing in shallowness, however, Patrick shows he is capable of at least mimicking the surface manifestations of sensitivity, intellect, and general humanity. But his self is ultimately fractured, with extreme shallowness, materialism, violence, and, well, psychosis burbling around the edges of a carefully constructed persona that represents the perfect consummation of the "American dream." It is a commentary on the dark forces at work wihin both individuals and society as a whole in a culture of extreme materialism.

edit on 6/21/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
you should read the Book

same dood that wrote
"less than zero " &
" rules of attraction"

I found the book to be

all I can say is
Read The Book

Uh-oh. Looks like someone is stealing boondock's odd way of hitting enter and starting a new line before necessary

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I find it easier to read this way
so figured every1 would find it so
does that bother some people? maybe
do i care ?
not really...
Because it doesn't bother me, and i'm still getting my point across, am i not? If dood can do it, why can't I?
and whats it to ya? I thought the thread was about american psycho & not the format I use to post here on ATS

top topics

join