It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC apologizes for cutting "under God" from Pledge of Allegiance before U.S. Open

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Anyone asked me today to pledge allegiance to a flag I would laugh in their face...you got me as a kid because I didnt know any better...when you say that pledge you are basically saying you support your government no matter what

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

We should talk about the science you mention in a different thread. Also, your Bible is not a science book. I have some ideas about what that is as well.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Anyway.
-America was not founded under "Christian" Ideals or as a "Christian" nation. While the true teachings of Christ share some principals with the founding ideals of America that does not make it a Christian nation.

WRONG! Let's have a look at the Declaration of Independence....

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

..........snipped out off topic stuff.............

And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Roflcopter.

"logical', 'evident'....puhlease.

I'm glad I'm a liquor-drinking, woman-loving godless son of a beautiful woman.

With regard to the OP, when were the words 'under God' placed in the pledge?
How did the U.S.A. cope for all those years without those words?
It was a knee-jerk reaction to the 'Red menace' and was designed to show a point of difference from those filthy filthy, disgusting godless commies, goddamn it! Well hell, the world didn't fall apart and yet it seems that the most important thing going on is the cutting of two words from the pledge.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

WRONG!

What about any of that implies Christianity?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

They weren't Muslims, Hindus, or Buddhists, were they? What "God" were they talking about? The Coca-Cola bottle God from The God's Must Be Crazy?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

They weren't Muslims, Hindus, or Buddhists, were they? What "God" were they talking about? The Coca-Cola bottle God from The God's Must Be Crazy?

They were deists, if you think God means Jesus, Christ-god and nothing more then you are wrong.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

thats exactly what they were doing.

I dont think its pandering either. I think theres a consensus among 'the elite' that Gd should be removed from people minds period. This was sort of a beta test to see how people would respond.

Thankfully people responded negatively to it.

But they will try again.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by Darth_Prime

i do ponder what would happen if someone wrote a 'Pledge' that said 'Under Satan'?

i would wager there would be a huge uproar

And that right there should tell you that this country was founded on Christian beliefs.

Wait...Seriously? Because the Predge of Arregiance doesnt have a tribute to Satan, is evidence in your mind that our nation was founded on Christian beliefs??

Seriousy?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Please refresh my memory. Is there a way to look up what I have posted and what has been the answers to my post along with me posting to others? Anothe forum has a member page that does just that and it is really helpfull when the posting become hot and heavy from differnt people chiming in. thanks

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

They were deists, if you think God means Jesus, Christ-god and nothing more then you are wrong.

Of course they were deists. Jefferson made his own bible, etc. However, "God" is mentioned, and many WERE Christians, or some spin-off of Christianity. Regardless, they felt strong enough about their faith to add "God" to the Declaration of Independence, and attribute our freedoms to God.

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't give a crap either way. If people want to worship a Sharpie marker, I really don't care. Just so long as they don't want to behead me for NOT worshiping their marker.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Of course they were deists. Jefferson made his own bible, etc. However, "God" is mentioned, and many WERE Christians, or some spin-off of Christianity. Regardless, they felt strong enough about their faith to add "God" to the Declaration of Independence, and attribute our freedoms to God.

I think Section13 made a good point about it. They used god as the end-all authority to prevent the destruction of those rights, they had to because God is the top authority in all religions; he is the parental figure threatening us with a spanking.

Doesn't mean it's exclusively Christian god.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident
reply to post by guitarplayer

We should talk about the science you mention in a different thread. Also, your Bible is not a science book. I have some ideas about what that is as well.

I don't beleive that I have ever said that the Bible is a science book just like I've never said a science book is a bible.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I think Section13 made a good point about it. They used god as the end-all authority to prevent the destruction of those rights, they had to because God is the top authority in all religions; he is the parental figure threatening us with a spanking.

Fair enough.

Doesn't mean it's exclusively Christian god.

You can't prove a negative. I could just as easily say that it doesn't mean that it doesn't. I would say it's 51% they meant Christian, considering where they came from. Or, maybe they meant Ra or Zeus. If we ever get time travel, maybe we can go back and solve this once and for all...LOL. Christians will say it means Christian, and you'll never prove them wrong. You'll say it doesn't, and they'll never prove you wrong. And there in lies the rub.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I refuse to pledge allegiance to an inanimate object. This is silly.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

They were not all Deists. Here is a short list from Faith of the founding fathers

Orthodox Christians short list
Patrick Henry
Samuel Adams
John Jay
Martha Washington
Charles Carrol
Elias Boudinot
John Q. Adams

Christian Deists
George Washington
Abigail Adams
Alexander Hamilton
John Hancock

Non-Christian Deists:
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
John Adams
Benjamin Franklin
Thomas Paine

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I didn't expect this thread to last this long.

This proves to me there is a war against Christianity brewing....

I'm ready.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

if we were as evil as we have been portrayed would have already beheaded all the infidels.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper

Yes, and I just told you why. Because Stalin was convinced that organized religion served as a threat to soviet dominance. It had less to do with religion and more to do with political organization.
edit on 20-6-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

He didn't kill people because he was an Atheist or in the "name of Atheism," he did it for the sake of power and Soviet rule.
edit on 20-6-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

Did you read what I even posted?

The anti-religious militant atheism began before Stalin. Lenin initiated it based on the principles of Marx, which viewed religion as unscientific superstition, a threat to communist utopia. It wasn't till the 1960s, that many in the Communist Party began to question the suppression of all religion, as they didn't see the benefits and the suppression wasn't working very well.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join