It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

I agree.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

Most of the people from the first 3 pages disgusted me. I feel sorry for every child that has to endure the trauma of begging screaming mommy and or daddys name to stop they dont want to be hit. I feel sorry for every kid whos the child to some of the parents in here : and im a kid.

All this does is make kids be scared when there doing something. And dont get it twisted either they dont just think about if what they are doing is wrong in wrongful circumstances , they start to wonder if what they are doing is wrong in ANY circumstance. Who ever else mentioned it also "causes them to hit others when there older" not always but makes them want to

Oh I bet I could point out over half the people here I have read and seen go "they deserved it" to some pretty violent events in the world in the last 5 years I have been reading. I also make a second bet that most of these people are the parents advocating VIOLENCE!

Go read James Gilligan people then you might never lay a hand on your pretty childs head again. Children arent perfect but very easy to trick into what you want them to learn or do... IF you cant learn how to trick a child you are lazy scum and never deserved to have offspring.

edit on 18-6-2011 by SocietysKillSwitch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I sense that people are equating "discipline" to "spanking". Not so, folks. Discipline means to teach, to guide, not strike.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

The only reason they dont know that difference is probably because they were spanked as kids.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't buy that "man is inherently good by nature" crap. Men have no self-control and they hate being corrected. They hate having to control their impulses and have trouble overcoming their basal desires.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SocietysKillSwitch
reply to post by aero56

Most of the people from the first 3 pages disgusted me. I feel sorry for every child that has to endure the trauma of begging screaming mommy and or daddys name to stop they dont want to be hit. I feel sorry for every kid whos the child to some of the parents in here : and im a kid.

Nothing like having the lunatics run the Asylum.

The main point here, is if you want to keep the right as a parent to chose the discipline, then anyway you look at the OP, it is wrong.
The Govt steps in, intrudes on more rights and people hurray in this thread as the Govt is here to save us from ourselves.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
reply to post by 547000

I sense that people are equating "discipline" to "spanking". Not so, folks. Discipline means to teach, to guide, not strike.

How are you to discipline your child if they have no respect for your authority? I think some people are too idealistic here.
edit on 18-6-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I object to this felonious charge.

If i did something severely wrong as a kid(skip school, got suspended, or THOUGHT about disrespecting my parents, i expected an ass whooping. and got it.

i learned a few things from that time:
1) Think about what you're going to do before you do it, weigh out its worth basically.
2) If you insist on proceeding, there's a good/bad consequence, based on what your doing
3) Accept the consequence with no objection.

my parents weren't abusive, they were the parent/authority of my person, charged with raising/protecting their children they produced. part of that rearing was the dedication to ensure their kids did nothing to harm themselves or others by way of establishing rights/wrongs, rewards/punishment, in addition to educating their kids on why any actions were rewarded or punished.

now as a grown man, who's been deemed both a man by age/actions, when i begin to produce children, i accept the same responsibility. And do not care for, nor accept "state" interference in the matter.

i'm 32, and i see the results of this new nanny state or "alternative" parenting everywhere...i've got a brother 8yrs younger who has a gross "entitlement" issue, as is true with alot of kids in that age group and younger. i'm no religious person at all, but even the bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child" and that's something i agree with because it makes sense.

edit on 18-6-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SocietysKillSwitch
reply to post by aero56

You may change your opinion once you have children of your own. Everything sounds easy until you are the one responsible.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Children learn respect by seeing it and living it. Parenting is the toughest job in the world. If people aren't prepared to be parents, they shouldn't have children. Being a responsible, and prepared role model for your children is the first step toward gaining their respect. You motivate them by example. I used that strategy on my own children and on those whom I teach in school. My kids are professionals today, a doctor and an electrician. While I don't always get the results I want from my classroom kids, I fair much better than other teachers in my school.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
reply to post by macman

I don't need to breed to know how stupid breeders can be.
I can see it all around me actually...even here. The reason parents feel the need to spank their kids is because they fail at parenting. Jail time for spanking seems appropriate, it's the only way society will learn.
They should make it a federal law.

Breeders? That tells me exactly where you are in your thinking and who are you to judge what parents do when you have such contempt? It is easy to be an armchair parent and tell others how they should do things. And even easier to be a Progressive armchair parent and demand the nanny govt step in when YOU think someone is not doing things right.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
reply to post by 547000

Children learn respect by seeing it and living it. Parenting is the toughest job in the world. If people aren't prepared to be parents, they shouldn't have children. Being a responsible, and prepared role model for your children is the first step toward gaining their respect. You motivate them by example. I used that strategy on my own children and on those whom I teach in school. My kids are professionals today, a doctor and an electrician. While I don't always get the results I want from my classroom kids, I fair much better than other teachers in my school.

I suppose all children are perfect little angels, then. That they supposedly listen to their parents if they are treated like little darlings. I disagree. If anything, this generation is #ed up because of all the mollycoddling.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I used to get beat in the head with shoes.

I dont know where this judge grew up, but the Government or the law has absolutely no right in telling a parent how to raise their child.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
A little over ten years ago I was called for Grand Jury duty. We had a child abuse case that was presented before us that I still think about on occasion. It was in a medium sized semi-rural Georgia town. There was great debate amongst the jury members if we should "True Bill" it to allow the DA to go forward with a prosecution. We talked more about that case than any other we were presented those two weeks. It was eventually "True Billed" by the barest of margins. A couple of us thought that it was a travesty that we did so. I followed the case after fulfilling my jury duty. It seems someone else that was on that grand jury also followed the situation. I'm pretty sure someone told the ladies defense attorney about how the charges barely made it through the Grand Jury, and instead of pleading out took it to a jury trial and was able to get a verdict of not guilty.

I have no problems with disciplined spanking of children. In my home, physical discipline is not the first option (except in cases like the hotplate mentioned earlier or similar physical dangers like running into the road) but is always an option after other forms of discipline have failed. A spanking also might come more quickly from repeated disobedience of the same type. I'm much more likely to spank quickly for jumping on the couch (which I've told my kid repeatedly not to do) than something that my child has never been in trouble for before.

After reading from the OP, it does appear that this is a Grandparent-grandchild's parent dispute that found a willing accomplice in the judge.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

You shouldn't spank your child at all unless they do something horribly bad

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
This is all just my opinion and it absolutely goes against the grain here...

As a mother...and someone who as a child was spanked with hands and objects such as paddles and belts (and it went too far, often). I grew to disrespect and absolute fear of my parents not love and respect for them. It taught me nothing except to fear them and hate them.

I am absolutely against spanking. I actually cringe and feel anxiety when I see a parent hit a child. Spanking is hitting, IMO. If an adult used the same on another adult, it would be an assault. I do not believe that inflicting physical pain and absolute fear on another person is a good way of teaching a person. I'm not sure how hitting an adult is wrong, but hitting a child is justified. Leaving a mark on a child??? Uh. No. That is abuse IMO.

I have never had to hit for punishment. My daughter has never been so out of control or "bad" that I felt the need to take my hand (or an object) and inflict physical pain on her. So many other ways of disciplining her that works.

With that said....there is not enough to this story. But as it is currently presented, I do not believe punishment for the mother is deserved. I do not support this type of discipline at all....but I am not the parents to other kids...and to each their own I suppose....
edit on June 17th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I believe that parents and only parents have the right to decide the proper punishment for their children. You may be lucky and have children that don't need a physical reminder of what is good and what is bad. But there still are other kids who are thick headed and do require a physical reprimand to teach the lesson.

There is a big difference between discipline and beating, however the "state and government" have no business period in interfering with our lives except in a case of abuse.

When I am out in public and I see a kid that is running wild and not listening to their parents and then they are spanked I am glad it happens because now the child has learned a limit.

Your parents may have gone too far, however it is still needed, the parents that just sit their child down to "talk" about their bad behavior IMO is a waste of time, they need to be physically disciplined and then we can talk about not doing it again.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

That is an observation at best, you have no evidence supporting your argument.
And that's goes for everyone here who claims not spanking a child, when they endanger their lives or the lives of others, is unneccessary.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Children need discipline, as long as it's not a beating, I don't see much wrong, I used to get a smack when I was younger if I was being really naughty, or sent out of the room for anything milder (I was scared there was a ghost upstairs so I hated going out the room on my own).

I was also taught manners and respect, and while now I don't get a smack for playing up around my parents, I still know how to behave in in front of them and total strangers!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yep, I knew it.
Jose Longoria, another touchy feely Liberal do gooder Judge making the wrong decision for all the wrong reasons just so that nobody gets their feelings hurt.

Enough with all the PC crap already.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria.

This idiot is a typical pompous windbag judge who thinks he's Solomon himself when he dons the robe. The briefest observation of personality types will reveal that judges and prosecutor goons rank right up there with senators when it comes to narcissism and megalomania. Of course there are exceptions.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join