It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping UFO's a secret would be more damaging than disclosure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is one the achilles heels of the UFO subject, and its the fallacy of the state indefinitely withholding information of this magnitude. A state cannot do this without the full support of, in this case, the occupants of the crafts but that doesn't seem to be true considering their behaviour when these objects have been witnessed by large amounts of people over densely populated areas, sometimes urban cities. So, at least some of these occupants have no care either way if the native population are aware of them or not.

In a hypothetical scenario where by one of these nonchalant craft were verified universally to be of ET origin, and then the occupants themselves made contact and mentioned "Yes, we've been communicating and co-operating with you on some things for at least 50 years" - then it would bring governments down over night. Worst yet, it would shatter any trust societies have of their governments or authorities; suspicion and conspiracy would dominate people's thoughts. You wouldn't believe anything any official would tell you - why would you? They've been lying to you for decades on the single most important matter in human history.

All it would take is one of these UFO;s to be identified and make contact, assuming of course the hypothesis that we have had secret contact with some of them for quite a while.

So why would any state risk keeping such a secret for such a long time? They haven't said anything for 50 years which is bad enough, what then when another 10 or 20 years passes. How about a century passing - can you imagine a country keeping this hidden for a hundred years and what damage it would do to that political ecosystem? The President's Office would be of less value than the sole of your shoe. Such a secret would be more threatening to national security than the existence of an alien presence.

How do we reconcile this with the belief that there actually is a secret? In other words, what are 'they' expecting to gain from keeping it hidden?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
if we ever have contact the aliens will disavow any contact with our worlds governments..and be believed by the vast majority they will land in a major city i feel all this will be prearranged IF it ever were to happen..if the alien ententys are smart and im sure they are.they should run and hide!! we as a species arnt mature enough

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

Strictly my opinion. But few people "trust" any government official anyway. So nothing new there.

World governments gain quite a bit by keeping it all secret actually.
Especially if they are hiding technology they don't want you to know about. So letting you believe its all aliens is the perfect cover.

It also keeps the world from going into total chaos. Believe it or not, announcing that aliens are visiting this planet, and have been for a long time, would not be quite as palatable for the population as everyone thinks it would be.

Oh, and FYI, the presidents office is already of less value than the sole of your shoe.

As I said, IMO.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

I normally would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. I think the longer they keep this secret, the more damaging it will be when the secret finally comes out. I absolutely think that is true.

However,

Recently I've been considering some possibilities - hypothetical, of course - in which keeping such things secret might actually make sense. We must, absolutely MUST always remind ourselves of how little we really know about this phenomenon. You say that keeping such a secret for so long is more threatening to our national security than an alien presence would be. Maybe you're right. But...maybe you're wrong.

I won't speculate too much, because again, we really don't know what's going on. But it could be that if our world was seen to have a broad public awareness of an alien presence, it might trigger something we aren't prepared to handle.

Just something to consider.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shino
So why would any state risk keeping such a secret for such a long time? They haven't said anything for 50 years which is bad enough, what then when another 10 or 20 years passes. How about a century passing - can you imagine a country keeping this hidden for a hundred years and what damage it would do to that political ecosystem? The President's Office would be of less value than the sole of your shoe. Such a secret would be more threatening to national security than the existence of an alien presence.

In pretty much every case in our own recorded history when an advanced civilization comes into contact with a primitive one, the primitive one soon ceases to exist either due to violence or adoption of the advanced civilization's way of life. Its my opinion that our own governments recognize this and fear their extinction and loss of power. So they do the only thing they can do to maintain their control of this planet. Cover up this subject.

I assume our governments understand that its inevitable that such a large secret will eventually be uncovered, but I also assume they're going to keep the cover up going as long as they can.

How do we reconcile this with the belief that there actually is a secret? In other words, what are 'they' expecting to gain from keeping it hidden?

"They" expect to maintain their money, their power, their easy lives. "They" stand to lose everything if they don't cover it up.

For some reason I really don't think all the billionaires of the world, the kings, queens, emperors, and all the other people currently in charge of everything would really want to open a pandora's box of civilization altering revelations. Potentially wrecking how good they have it. So they keep it closed.

As for why the extraterrestrials don't force themselves out into the open: I'm not an extraterrestrial. I can only barely assume the motivations of my fellow human beings as it is. I don't presume to think I could figure out the enigma that is extraterrestrial visitation. I just know its happening.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
So you're implying that the situation we're in now (UFOs being kept secret) is more damaging to... something, than a hypothetical reality where information on UFOs was freely distributed?

hmm

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If we found out there were actually aliens we'd be so obsessed with that we probably wouldn't even care the government kept it secret.

They'd say that they kept it secret so as not to panic the people and that would be it. Then we'd be asking what do we do now.

I don't see this as an issue at all.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You kind of answered your own question. It's covered up due to National Security, and personal gains most likely.

Originally posted by Shino
the UFO subject, and its magnitude. ET origin, and then the occupants themselves made contact.
So why would any state risk keeping such a secret for such a long time? and what damage it would do to that political ecosystem?

It would shatter any trust societies have of their governments or authorities; suspicion and conspiracy would dominate people's thoughts. You wouldn't believe anything any official would tell you - why would you? They've been lying to you for decades on the single most important matter in human history. The President's Office would be of less value than the sole of your shoe. Such a secret would be more threatening to national security than the existence of an alien presence.

I don't know why you re-arranged your last sentence, but at least you got national security in there. Also most importantly, a common ATS argument, unless you've traveled the Universe, you don't have a clue as to what aliens could be like. You can't determine if revealing their presence is a good idea....or a bad one....

I think Disclosure will go down in either one of these three scenarios:

1. We discover alien life in our Solar System.

2. A mass sighting where aliens make first contact.

3. Or some super intelligent attorneys and whistleblowers take down the FBI, CIA, and Nasa's cover up of the ET presence.

For each scenario there is already a strong case.

1. There is strong evidence suggesting there is potential life in our Solar System

2. Phoenix Lights, Stephenville, O'hare Airport, Zimbabwe UFO, LA 1942, there are more. No contact with the occupants, but at least mass UFO sightings.

3. Who knows on this one, if everyone is a hoaxer, a lot of players in this field. Examples would be the Disclosure Project, Mufon, and Gary Mckinnon.

What helps stimulate the Disclosure movement is TV. Namely shows such as Larry King Live, UFO Hunters, and Ancient Aliens. Then you have individuals such as Dan Aykroyd, Buzz Aldrin, William Cooper, and Michio Kaku to name a few off the top of my head. Public Polls often are noted on these shows, whether it be documentaries or interviews, but the most people believe we are not alone in the Universe, and a growing number of people believe we have been visited.

join