It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can tank shhot nuke

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well i will make it short can a tank have been able to shoot nuclear ammo ? I think no because of the range but a friend of mine is sure the t-92 howitzer was able to .

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think they can-those are all polished and underground for later use tho ya kno

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yes as taboo as it is, I googled and used a source from wiki, im sure there are more sources, but it looks as though a howitzer in there.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dolby_X

I know they have depleted uranium shells (it may be just uranium shells) Depleted uranium shells are from EvE lol

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dolby_X

Explanation: S&F!

www.3ad.com...

Personal Disclosure: So if artillary commanders hand nuke shells on hand during cold war whilst in Berling and West Germany during the cold war... AND there was lots of artillary and commanders! Why didnt ww3 break out?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thx all for these infos it's all i wanted to know

As always ATS is a great source for info.

edit big finger
edit on 10-6-2011 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
How about an Atomic Cannon or Nuclear Artillery?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by Dolby_X

Personal Disclosure: So if artillary commanders hand nuke shells on hand during cold war whilst in Berling and West Germany during the cold war... AND there was lots of artillary and commanders! Why didnt ww3 break out?

The threat drives military spending.

Lose the threat, lose the need for spending large amounts on DoD.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
In the late 50's and 60's nuclear cannon shots were common at the Nevada Test range.

There are some famous videos, I will see if I can find one.

edit on 6/10/11 by emsed1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yes, a tank or cannon can.
Anything capable of sending a projectile (Through forced or free fall) can fire said projectile with a nuclear warhead attached.

Why do you ask?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Tanks don't have nuclear ammo. Some modern MBTs are loaded with DP shells though.

It was artillery units that had nuclear capability, as other posters have mentioned. My personal pick has always been the 2S7...

Oh, and pretty much any nuclear-capable artillery piece could be loaded with chemical or biological shells too. I guess most people prefer watching a city melting instantly under a flash of light, as opposed to citizens' bleeding from every oriface until they die (biological) or tearing their lungs to shreads (chemical).

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dolby_X

If you are talking the U.S. T92 tank then no it could not. If you are talking the U.S. T92 Howitzer Motor Carriage I would have to say technically yes it could. It had a 240mm gun on it. The U.S. did develop nuclear rounds in 155mm and up range, but the T92 was developed at the end of WW2 but had a very short service as better advancements were being made in the late 40's and early 50's.

I am not 100% positive, but the only tank per say (not moterized artilary) that was designed to shoot a nuclear round was the Russian T95 tank.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Birddog26

T95 tank? Didnt even know that it was unveiled yet

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

T-95 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
T-95 is the common informal designation of a Russian fifth generation tank in development at the Uralvagonzavod.
T-95

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Russians still have it in development, but the rumors are it will be able to fire tactical battlefield nuke in the 75 to 100 ton range. That is not why I am 100% sure, as of know they are still unconfirmed rumors.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Birddog26

Russians still have it in development, but the rumors are it will be able to fire tactical battlefield nuke in the 75 to 100 ton range. That is not why I am 100% sure, as of know they are still unconfirmed rumors.

I am quite aware of what the T-95 is.

As for it shooting nuclear ammunition? Sounds like typical garbage rumors from day dreamers. I've never heard of this rumor, nor have I ever seen it mentioned (and I do check up on T-95 progress from time to time).

I don't have any idea why Russia would find it necessary to arm T-95 tanks with nuke ammo. They already dismantled their nuclear artillery shells per treaties.

Perhaps somebody mixed up the idea of a nuclear shell with a depleted uranium shell.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

As I was clear to state that it was rumor. It has been reported in several defense publications. But it does have the 152mm main gun and the Soviets already developed a 152mm nuclear round for thier M1943 howitzer in the 70's. So it would make sense that the T95 is capable of firing a nuclear round.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Birddog26

I didn't mean to sound so critical in my last post, apologies.

However, I'm still not convinced at all.

The T-95 was officially dropped by the Russian government. The defense company said they would complete the prototype anyways. What this means is that it will more than likely end up as an export tank if anything, so they wouldn't develop it to be nuke capable (especially if it is going to be sold to countries close to war, such as India which has bought many T-90s).

I did some looking around and yes, there was a Soviet 152mm nuclear artillery round. It was deployed on D20s, amongst other platforms, not the M1943 (D1).

However, this is an artillery shell. It's not exactly made to come out of a tank's rifled cannon. Nuclear artillery is also obsolete. It would make much more sense to just deploy a short-range cruise missile (like an Iskander) or a strike fighter armed with a tactical nuke, than do so with a tank.

It just doesn't seem practical. The tank would be an easy target too, compared to other options.

You have any sources for it?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
have you seen the movie "Independence Day" ?

/thread

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

No problem Demitri. Me personaly I would like to never see the tank anywhere. There is enough worries about being able to stop the T95 as is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join