It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In jail for being in debt...indefinite incarceration for 300$...arrested for 85$

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xalaran

vicious cycle, no? maybe if the whole of our government wasnt inflating the economy into negative growth to save the banks who, like debtors CANT PAY THEIR OWN BILLS (and believe me it has NOTHING to do with credit card defaults this is such a small factor to bank losses), our companies would be in a better position to hire.

Let me take it another step further.

whats most unacceptable about the OP and these types of stories is that these people are being subjected to this over an imaginary nothing: money. its not real and it should never translate to real-world suffering or consequences. we participate in this system to create a basis- a fair language that would allow people with different goods and services to sit down and objectively value what they brought to/took from the market.

Instead, we live in a world where the wealthiest are those who administer this system, not those who are the most productive contributors to the market. Worse, we have people who would die for this imaginary nothing, kill for this imaginary nothing, and entire populations whose sole purpose in life is only to collect as much of this imaginary nothing before they die.

I've always wondered why people are so hypnotized by this system. its a complete illusion. Though it sounds great on paper- currency, capitalism- it all sounds sooooo great and fair, that idealism does not survive in the real world. What we truly need is an "off" switch for this BS.
edit on 9-6-2011 by chaeone86 because: changed worst to worse :p

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The bottom line is, "What kind of ass pig cop would enforce some # like this."

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is why government of the entire country should be centralised.

This idiocy where individual states can just make it up as they go, steamrolling over the bill of rights as they do so is completly unacceptable.

These judges and legislators are criminals, milking their own self made corrupt system. Some state governments are so bent they do not serve the people at all. They make greedy criminals in positions of power richer. i.e. themselves.

Some of the draconian new laws these maggots just invent are an affront to decent society and would not be out of place in Iran or Nazi Germany.

No-one ever does a damn thing to stop this widespread nonsense. I'm disgusted with parts of this country.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
pay your bills. Then you don't have to worry about it. Don't have money? Then don't own a credit card, or buy a giant TV or get a new gaming laptop. Wow, look how easy it is not get into debt that you can't pay back or have no intension of paying back. A debtor has the responsibility to repay the debt. I am going to guess that this person who went to jail was given all kinds of time to repay this debt and they decided to ignore the debt thinking it wold all go away. surprise! lol

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
haven't you guys heard? It is now illegal to not have money! Soon they will be ushering the homeless into internment camps. Of course what they won't mention is that they will make as many of you homeless as they can manipulate into. They'll fine you until you can't pay then claim ownership over you and that'll be it for you, surfs.

Are you really so arogant to think that sooner or later you won't be included in the bon voyage ? Ya !
What's the opposite of paranoid ? Ignorant? How about this for a moniker ? As long as I don't think their after me ? There's noway they can get me.

There only after everyone but you right? OK.

Angus
The only part of this country I'm disgusted by isn't a part of this country. D.C. and the Federal reserve.

edit on 9-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Zerotime
Can always tell who it is that things are still going good for. You have no idea that your time will come if things just stay the course. There will only be the first in line, to the last in line. It looks like everyone is in line though.
Zerotime for some a lil for others.
:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
pay your bills. Then you don't have to worry about it. Don't have money? Then don't own a credit card, or buy a giant TV or get a new gaming laptop. Wow, look how easy it is not get into debt that you can't pay back or have no intension of paying back. A debtor has the responsibility to repay the debt. I am going to guess that this person who went to jail was given all kinds of time to repay this debt and they decided to ignore the debt thinking it wold all go away. surprise! lol

There are so many "other" ways to end up in debt you can't repay, I hope you can continue in your simplistic realm. Because if you bring that mentality to a major medical expense or job loss you may find your narrow world view shattered in a couple months.
HOW ABOUT....... A stable economy so folks who can and would pay their debts are not put in these positions?
HOW ABOUT.......for once some of you look at the top of the problem rather than the bottom?
seed

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
this makes me glad i don't have credit cards. i saw my mom go nuts w/the damn things and i don't use them. i have a debit visa i can use if a credit card is required. iow, if i can't afford it, i don't buy it.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ozmaoz47

And the temptation isn't a factor at all is it ?

Mustard seed
Right on See the thing is I wasn't always of this attitude. My attitude is a result of of a previous preference not a preference. The banks gave me the big red white and blue when I did try to it all right. So I learned the HARD way. But real fast.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
between this stuff, another war now in yemen and all the other crap going on

its clearly only a matter of time before all war breaks out, and im talking about here at home

i just wonder how long until the march on washington

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

This is why government of the entire country should be centralised.

like they are doing an awesome job protecting individual rights

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTruthShallLive

i just wonder how long until the march on washington

Won't matter either . They'll all be gone and they'll nuke it when we get there .

What I'm say'in is we can't win. Because the time for action is 20 years gone.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I think youve missed a crucial nuance of this scenario. its not capitalone bank or bofa, the debt originators, who are suing you and appealing for your incarceration for the debt you cannot pay. It is a debt collection agency who buys debt in bulk from these banks (usually for 5-10% of its original value, tho they collect 100% and often whatever fees or interest they arbitrarily assign despite no real authority to do so).

Banks charge off bad debt as "capital losses" that are deducted from their income tax liability. Once your debt is charged off, capitalone wouldn't take your money even if you asked nicely. since banks and most lending firms can qualify to match capital losses vs 100% of their profits, they essentially lose nothing and the charged off debt is absorbed into the US tax base in the form of lost revenue that would have resulted from taxing bank profits. IE- we all pay for eachothers bad debt already, collectively.

this is why banks do not spend much time or resource chasing after, suing and prosecuting individual debtors. third-party collection agencies are just another gift to banks in recouping 5-10% of the loan value (awfully close to average APRs, no?). these agencies are aggresive because they have the opportunity to realize 900% of their investment minus overhead (and dirty tricks are cheaper than patient legal debt collection) if they can extort an already deserted debt from someone.

People with bad debt earn poor credit scores and cannot get a loan after they've demonstrated they wont pay it back. That is punishment enough. lending has and will remain a practice that involves substantial financial risk and the understanding that investors money may be lost on risk taking positions.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Problem is, it's not a clean start - once you scrape up a few bucks to get out- they tack on court costs and charge you for the room and board, in some places this adds up to hundreds/thousands more dollars. The court then kindly sets up a payment program, so you are now in debt to the state for whatever is left of the debt, the cost of transporting you to court and jail, and the room and board while you were locked up. It's win/win for the local cops and the collection people. Everybody makes money on this set-up, that is why it is happening to more and more people.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Well every person they toss in jail, it's also their fault, the economy is so screwed up in the first place, right ?
This is exactly how it's supposed to work you know ? Excremo rollin downhill ? Only?

Hey it's really the best deal for the person that owes. Three hots and a cot to pay off you're debt. Then when you come out of jail they can't leave anyt5hing hanging over your head. Clean start.
edit on 8-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Only one problem.

IF that person has a job, they wont when they come out AND they will have a record.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Let me guess, they recently privatized the jails there. Thats the new big scam. So then instead of the money going for public use, it fills the coffers of some fat cat, and to be sure what you get for that money is minimal at best. They say we cant afford something, like, say public schools,then end up privatizing it. This creates an incentive to keep people in debt. So, if they can jail you for owing 300 dollars, what can they do to the Wall street crowd who took 700 billion of our tax money? Funny, I dont see any of them going to jail.
edit on 9-6-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by anywho
reply to post by randyvs

Problem is, it's not a clean start - once you scrape up a few bucks to get out- they tack on court costs and charge you for the room and board, in some places this adds up to hundreds/thousands more dollars. The court then kindly sets up a payment program, so you are now in debt to the state for whatever is left of the debt, the cost of transporting you to court and jail, and the room and board while you were locked up. It's win/win for the local cops and the collection people. Everybody makes money on this set-up, that is why it is happening to more and more people.

You.... Are .... Wrong You can not be released from jail with anything hanging over your head. Traffic ticket in a different county ? Go to court in that county show the judge your release papers. Dimissed in the interest of justice.

One of the most important papers you will ever recieve are release papers. Keep them always. Even more than tax records.If your incarcerated that is.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chaeone86

Actually, if you read the article, no one was put in jail because they owe a debt. The article states the warrant for arrest was issued because the debtor failed to show up for a court appearance when they were being sued. Why didn't they show up? If they had a valid reason they could report that to the court before the court date. It boils down to a simple lack of responsibility with the debtor. They want the money for free.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Could you please tell this to the US government !

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Actually, if you read the article, no one was put in jail because they owe a debt. The article states the warrant for arrest was issued because the debtor failed to show up for a court appearance when they were being sued. Why didn't they show up? If they had a valid reason they could report that to the court before the court date. It boils down to a simple lack of responsibility with the debtor. They want the money for free.

Of course there are freeloaders in everything man does. But everything I've been saying in this thread is even more legit I think. I could just feel someone was going to pop with a final revelation like that. Should have read it myself.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Are you so sure?? many times people who are struggling financially don't even have money to catch a bus. How far was the courthouse?? You're making a lot of assumptions..maybe something happened on the way to court?

I think a lot of people in debt suffer from being overly positive that they will still have a job in a year, that their health will remain intact. I don't think they are all trying to get the money for free , and that's a very biased as-sumptuous statement. You sound like a hard ass bill collector, or loans officer.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join