It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nintendo attempted to be hacked!!!! But uber fail!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Original source

Just in case any of you missed this one.. A hack attempt failed on Nintendo's servers. Nintendo spotted the attack so quickly all they got was a simple web config file to post online.

Now... this obviously beggs the question.... If Ninty can stop this kind of attack in minits.. then why the hell can our gov sites and SONY which are pretty tight systems allow themselves to be hacked and have millions of credit card details and customer addresses stolen so easily... because lets face it... the whole SONY hack issue stinks of "letting it happen" to persue a subscription only online system.

I for one will never be purchasing a sony console and wasnt going to anyway after the whole backwards compat fiasco when the ps3 was originally released. but meh!

Your thoughts? And please lets not go into Annon being CIA or Wikileaks being Mossad again! hehe

Peace!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Nintendo has Donkey Kong.

Would you mess with him?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Sony planned it from the beginning but will never admit it.

Remember nothing is free

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I highly doubt sony would hack themselves just so they could implement a charge per month...that's just very bad business promotion lol...no business in there right minds would give themselves a bad name on purpose...if they wanted to implement a subscription they would just do it...they're still thinking about it right now but it's not set in stone as they're looking at feedback from their customers and the consensus is that they don't want the subscription so far so we'll have to wait and see

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hack The Planet!!! Sony deserve what they got. Just wish they would hack the CIA or NSA servers and post all that info!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

the real government websites don't get hacked
they are on a different network then all of us and it requires hardware you cant buy, wiki leaks got its info was through corporate espionage meaning it was someone on the inside who stole the info same with Sony. The reason Nintendo didn't get hacked was because they didn't have people working in Nintendo and most likely isn't the same people
edit on 7-6-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Sony laid off a whole bunch of employees pre their leak..Methinks it was not Anon but an inside job.
I was very disappointed when my paid in full PlayTV stopped working and I had to do mandatory upgrade to make it continue to work. This upgrade involved agreeing to certain privacy related things I would rather not have accepted. My playstation is permanently off the internet now. I consider this software sabatoge. Never had this problem with nintendo and Mariokart is still my fav game.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamfox1
Sony planned it from the beginning but will never admit it.

Remember nothing is free

So, sony gets hacked, exposing personal information, and then makes everyone give them personal information under the assumption they won't get hacked again? Doubtful... I play online with a PS3 and am far less inclined now to give them any personal information.
edit on 6/7/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Just shows nintendo has a competent system admin, whereas sony, apple, etc. don't.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You sir have won teh interwebs

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Hack The Planet!!! Sony deserve what they got. Just wish they would hack the CIA or NSA servers and post all that info!

Careful what you say. Remember the Pentagon is now saying that cyber attacks on the US will be considered an act of war in which they could respond militarily.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

LMFAO!!!! Of course not!!!! He way too big and buff!!! LOL

A funny footnote on the DK front tho... MCA Universal sued Nintendo over copyright violations, claiming that Donkey Kong was a copy of King Kong. Nintendo's lawyer, Howard Lincoln, who would go on to become a Senior Vice President of the company, discovered that Universal didn't own the copyright to King Kong either, and was able to not only win the lawsuit (as well as several court appeals), but get Universal to pay the legal costs. Ironically, it was MCA Universal that previously won a lawsuit declaring King Kong was in the public domain. The case was an enormous victory for Nintendo, which was still a newcomer to the U.S. market. The case established Nintendo as a major player in the industry and arguably gave the company the confidence that it could compete with the giants of American media. (sourced from wikipedia to me typing time.. being at work and all) SOURCE

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
We will be safe from the terrorists if they just pass some laws saying anything illegal done online like downloading some songs is an act of war by an enemy combatant or terrorist. Then throw em in Gitmo and waterboard em to death.

That will keep us safe. If it keeps us safe from the terrorists, I'm all for it. If you're not doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about, right?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Sony isn't charging a subscription fee for anything but Playstation Plus and that's optional. They are also giving away 2 FREE PS3 games (complete PS3 titles free for you to keep forever) and two FREE PSP titles with the same deal (yours to keep forever) plus a free 30 days as a member of Playstation Plus. So, yeah they are compensating and no I don't think they did this on purpose. If I had to guess I'd say it was a hacker working for Microsoft. First Sony, then Nintendo? They seem to be going after gaming consoles/networks (among other things) so hmmmm..... It just so happens Nintendo was watching out because after it happens to one it'll put all the others on lookout. How much do you want to bet that Microsoft does not get get an attempt to be hacked? And they DO charge a monthly or so subscription fee to play anything on Xbox Live. Nintendo and Sony don't charge just to play games online.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

Dont worry mate.... it is coming. Ninty are the only people who want to keep everything online free... well.. where gaming is concerned.. Sony is planning to get revenue from a simlar GOLD option just as M$ do at the moment. And no... the free option probably wont allow online multiplayer action for free but will allow you to download DLC and full games.

The plan is obviously... give them it for free for a time to increase sales... then move to charge for online gameplay later.

What I am wondering is who paid Sony for all those delicious contact details for marketing purposes?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Web security, programming, and generally anything computer related has been a hobby of mine for a long time. I know enough about network security to tell you that it really depends on what type of attack that was used for the attempt to infiltrate the system. There is a lot of prep work that goes into hacking a system, it isn't something you just decide to do one day without the prior research.

I should have read the article, but I'm in a hurry, and I doubt they gave any technical information regarding the type of attack...The hacking you see in the movies isn't really how it works. Usually, hacking involves exploiting vulnerabilities in code. What separates the elite hackers is their ability, and flexibility, in discovering these weaknesses, and creating and engineering a method to use that vulnerability to gain, ultimately, root access.

So anyway, there are multiple reasons that could have gotten this hacker detected, and it depends on the method used in the attack. Honestly, quite a bit of hacking happens as follows: A really good hacker will code an exploit, as it takes a really good programmer in multiple languages to be a good hacker...Now, if the exploit is published online, say at an index site like Metaspl0it, then you are going to have a plethora of script-kiddies doing the same thing until a patch is implemented. Even vulnerabilities, since finding them can be tough, are posted in security forums, which anyone can find...And if you know the vuln it only takes a decent coder to create a script to exploit that vulnerability.

Another thing is the system admins...If they do not keep their systems 100% updated with patches to fix holes, they will have more attacks than servers who's admins stay up to date on security issues. Sometimes though, the hackers are the ones that find the vulns first, and with that information they can do a lot of different stuff. They could sell it, use it, give it away, etc...But anyway, I think there are too many variables to say anything for sure about this particular case...Sorry, I'm basically just rambling. I didn't get any sleep last night, lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Good good.. someone who actually understands the process.

I believe Nintendo use a BSD variant to host their data. As an experienced coder myself.. I know that it is not that simple to gain access to one of these servers without having direct dev knowledge of a) the variant itself (kernel customisations etc) b) the type of security already in place and any IP/IF rules in place already.

It looks to me like one of the Ninty devs has coded a very nifty port sniffer (i have seen ones built by friends which actualy communicate to a traffic light system and alarm giving an audible and visible alarm of any potential attacks which is pretty cool).

I believe (dont quote me as I am busy working at the mo hehe) but If i remember correctly Sony use a similar server system.

Now... i do find it hard to believe that Sony allowed there system to go routinely unpatched via their sloppy sys admin dept... but I spose we... unless we give it a try ourselves hehehe.... will never know.

I spent 3 years working on the game runescape (hides head in shame lol) and all of there servers and dev is prodominantly NIX/BSD variants making even their data pretty damned secure.

Thanks for giving some input to the masses!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0
Original source

Just in case any of you missed this one.. A hack attempt failed on Nintendo's servers. Nintendo spotted the attack so quickly all they got was a simple web config file to post online.

Now... this obviously beggs the question.... If Ninty can stop this kind of attack in minits.. then why the hell can our gov sites and SONY which are pretty tight systems allow themselves to be hacked and have millions of credit card details and customer addresses stolen so easily... because lets face it... the whole SONY hack issue stinks of "letting it happen" to persue a subscription only online system.

I for one will never be purchasing a sony console and wasnt going to anyway after the whole backwards compat fiasco when the ps3 was originally released. but meh!

Your thoughts? And please lets not go into Annon being CIA or Wikileaks being Mossad again! hehe

Peace!

Because the gov and sony is all image and no substance....They think they know what they are doing when Nintendo actually knows what they are doing....

new topics

top topics

join