It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran retracts criticism of Kerry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

WASHINGTON -- A week after Senator John F. Kerry heralded his wartime experience by surrounding himself at the Democratic convention with his Vietnam ''Band of Brothers," a separate group of veterans has launched a television ad campaign and a book that questions the basis for some of Kerry's combat medals.

But yesterday, a key figure in the anti-Kerry campaign, Kerry's former commanding officer, backed off one of the key contentions. Lieutenant Commander George Elliott said in an interview that he had made a ''terrible mistake" in signing an affidavit that suggests Kerry did not deserve the Silver Star -- one of the main allegations in the book. The affidavit was given to The Boston Globe by the anti-Kerry group to justify assertions in their ad and book.

Boston

The lies are continuing to fall apart. The fact that some people even believed it in the first place is so sad.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
All I can say is that it most be very dificult for the opposition to come out and talk about war heroes when their leader was a coward that never got to see a bullet flight by and that his record can not even be traced.

I feel that this is a shame to my father that served in the military service and to his brother that die during the war while they were serving in the military at the same time.

I am glad that things are coming around.
Not that I believed any of it to begin with.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
My oh my, how hard this must be for you. Rather than addressing the direct topic of this post, you have found it necessary to deflect and obfuscate the issue by attacking Bush's record. Mind you, that topic has been exhausted on this and many other forums, including the media. Let's try to stick to the topic of the post... the retraction of the signed affidavit that LCDR Elliot submitted to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

In a seperate thread, someone pointed out how Elliot came to Kerry's defense in his 1996 Senate campaign and vigorously denied these same allegations about this specific incident. Then in 2204 Elliot signed an affidavit with full disclosure that condemned Kerry for his actions in this same incident. NOW Elliot is coming out and reversing himself yet again on this incident comending Kerry's actions. So, in other words, this guy is flip-flopping on the issue.

He must be angling for an appointment or something in case Kerry wins. Either way, he's another flip-flopper and I would surmise that there is some truth to BOTH sides of what LCDR Elliot has said... BOTH times. Being that he has continually flipped and then flopped I can only say that it's absolutely true... "Birds of a feather flock together."

Might I also point out that LCDR Elliot WAS NOT a witness to the event in question, however, those men that were still stick by their claims that Kerry shot a fleeing teen in the back.

[edit on 6-8-2004 by kozmo]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I wonder who got to this guy and "convinced" him to change his story.

Haha, totally kidding. But after seeing the Manchurian Candidate, oh man my brain is a mess.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
I wonder who got to this guy and "convinced" him to change his story.

Haha, totally kidding. But after seeing the Manchurian Candidate, oh man my brain is a mess.

I was just wondering the same thing.
I'd like to see if this guy makes any large purchases in the near future.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So what If he got pay with ketchup.

Bush oil deals right now are so screw in Iraq he can not pay anybody with that without been blown up.

At leas ketchup is sweeter.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So what If he got pay with ketchup.

Bush oil deals right now are so screw in Iraq he can not pay anybody with that without been blown up.

At leas ketchup is sweeter.

Ha!
Think he'll get it in packets or bottles?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Isn't it ironic that the "Nothing Is Worth Fighting For" Party is now in the business of touting its "war hero" candidate who betrayed his country and sided with the enemy and who now runs on a war platform, while all his constituents weep and moan because the price of freedom has always been blood and because someone else is paying that price for them so they will never have to do anything more than criticize their leaders, is calling GW a coward because he served his country as an Air National Guard Jet Jockey, who like many other professional men who served as Guardsmen transferred to another command for professional reasons and now who, as president has presided over this nation�s darkest hour and has �stepped up to the plate� and dealt with our enemies in a decisive fashion, taking the war to their own turf.

Perhaps you could learn something by reading about another American war hero.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The price of freedom may be blood, but I just wish President Bush would stop spending it so freely, and on other people other than his own Americans.

The man is spending too much money, buying the wrong things. We need someone who can stick to a budget, and not be such an "impulse shopper", when it comes to the blood of my brothers and sisters.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Isn't it ironic that *SNIP*

No. Um, no it's not. But, uh, thanks for that.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Isn't it ironic that the "Nothing Is Worth Fighting For" Party is now in the business of touting its "war hero" candidate who betrayed his country and sided with the enemy and who now runs on a war platform, while all his constituents weep and moan because the price of freedom ....................

The unwarranted attack, occupation & reconstruction of a non-threating country equates to American Freedom? Do you want to flesh out that leap of logic?
Are you a jar-head want to be, or have already vactioned on Parris Island? Either way, you're way too devoid of facts to be making such sweeping & ignorant genralization.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Listen up, Bout Time. I want to be a lot of things, but my Marine Corps service is 35 years behind me. I've never been to Parris Island, as I did my Boot Camp at San Diego. And unless you have similar credentials, you shouldn't be calling Marines jarheads. And furthermore, it is you who is devoid of facts, so when you finish high school, why don't you get back to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Listen up, Bout Time. I want to be a lot of things, but my Marine Corps service is 35 years behind me. I've never been to Parris Island, as I did my Boot Camp at San Diego. And unless you have similar credentials, you shouldn't be calling Marines jarheads. And furthermore, it is you who is devoid of facts, so when you finish high school, why don't you get back to me.

Always good to see a fellow New Mexican out for a friendly stroll through the ATS park. The rabid back peddling of the "Nothing Is Worth Fighting For" gang is the product of them realizing that the "war hero" they have embraced (and did so reluctantly, but it SEEMED like a good idea at the time) is nothing more than a fraud. The thought that someone in the midst of armed conflict would return to recreate events (battles?) and make home movies, seems perversely premeditated. John Kerry's conduct concerning military service during his "tour" (remember it was a 13 month stint until his three hang nails) in Viet Nam, upon returning , and as an elected official has been nothing short of reprehensible. Even Bill Clinton had the "decency" to be honest about his disdain for military (I never thought I would reminisce in such a way, but life's treasures are in the surprises).

p.s. I call Marines "Jarheads", but I always use a capital "J", and after eight years of being "Mom" (that would be a Navy Corpsman) I have the right to do so. Semper Fidelis GP, and remember, your paychecks always had "Department of the Navy" printed on them.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well, mirthful one, you know we Jarheads love and respect our Corpsmen.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
BOSTON GLOBE ARTICLE IS INACCURATE

The following statement from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth concerns an article appearing in morning edition of the BOSTON GLOBE, written by GLOBE reporter and author of the official Kerry-Edwards campaign book, Mike Kranish.

"Captain George Elliott describes an article appearing in today�s edition of the BOSTON GLOBE by Mike Kranish as extremely inaccurate and highly misstating his actual views.He reaffirms his statement in the current advertisement paid for by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, Captain Elliott reaffirms his affidavit in support of that advertisement, and he reaffirms his request that the ad be played.

Drudge Report

corrected quoting

[edit on 6-8-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
BOSTON GLOBE ARTICLE IS INACCURATE

The following statement from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth concerns an article appearing in morning edition of the BOSTON GLOBE, written by GLOBE reporter and author of the official Kerry-Edwards campaign book, Mike Kranish.

"Captain George Elliott describes an article appearing in today�s edition of the BOSTON GLOBE by Mike Kranish as extremely inaccurate and highly misstating his actual views.He reaffirms his statement in the current advertisement paid for by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, Captain Elliott reaffirms his affidavit in support of that advertisement, and he reaffirms his request that the ad be played.

Drudge Report

corrected quoting

[edit on 6-8-2004 by Phoenix]

Curme, I don't know what to tell ya buddy. It looks like someone's lying here. Either way, it looks bad for Kerry and his Vietnam War Hero image.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It seems that, once again, the jig is up for Kerry and his ilk. It turns out that Kranish's story is bunk! Based on further research, this poster thinks he knows why... KRANISH IS BEING PAID BY THE DNC TO WRITE THE "OFFICIAL" CAMPAIGN BOOK FOR KERRY!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Come on. That's Drudge. Let's wait until we actually hear from the guy.

These are the same guys who went after McCain, said his black adopted daughter was illegitimate, trying to smear him. But they really shot themselves in the foot with this campaign. They are looking like idiots! And those Republicans from Texas who started all of this, probably aren't too popular now.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I still don't understand why Kerry is running as a so-called "war-hero" anyway. That was over 30 years ago.

What exactly has he been doing in the US Senate for 20 years? Or is that period in his life not relevant?

BTW, anyone seen Terry Macauliffe (sp.) lately?

Boston Globe for Kerry strikes again.

shameful.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Come on. That's Drudge. Let's wait until we actually hear from the guy.

These are the same guys who went after McCain, said his black adopted daughter was illegitimate, trying to smear him. But they really shot themselves in the foot with this campaign. They are looking like idiots! And those Republicans from Texas who started all of this, probably aren't too popular now.

Are you insinuating that the Swift Vets went after McCain? last I heard they INSIST they are not in any way affiliated with the RNC or Bush campaign - do you
have proof otherwise?

<<   2 >>

join