It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FFVIII changed my life...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game I've ever played, and I've played hundreds of games, here's why. I didn't like the clumsy draw system, but I liked the characters, story, and immersion. The draw system was just weird, so I basically never used it, except to heal. The Guardian Forces made it way to easy to defeat just about any enemy. You also have to grind if you want to upgrade your weapons, or at least I think you do, I'm still not clear on that. There's also that very steep learning curve, despite you spending the first couple of hours of the game learning how to play it.

The story did get a little strange when you find out that they all went to the same orphanage as children, but I think that's one of the key themes in the game. Destiny, since not only did they all grow up together, but Julia is Rinoa's mother and Laguna is Squall's father, they fell in love, but it didn't work out since Laguna was injured in the war. Then Rinoa and Squall fell in love in the game.

I disagree with Oppressive in that there wasn't story progression or character development (particularly in Squall). I also found that I could relate to the characters, especially Squall, since I'm also a socially awkward introvert. Squall starts out very self-centered and a loner, throughout the game, he becomes more caring and open. It starts when he has the eye opening experience that is Seifer's alleged death. Then he was worried about the Selphie and the others who went to the missile base.

I haven't even finished it yet, but it's by far the best game I've ever played and the level of immersion is amazing. It also gave me the idea for my upcoming novel. I am very emotionally invested into the game, the story, the characters, everything. I didn't think I could get like this, especially over a video game. This game has truly changed my life.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Have you played Knights Of The Old Republic, Max Payne or Mass Effect? I'm a very huge fan of immersive games with great stories, and those three are my all-time favorites.
edit on 5-6-2011 by ablissfulman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
HOLY @#$!!! DUDE! i had a talk with my best friend last night ABOUT FF8! How it is one of the best games ever and today i downloaded it in psn and start playing it again! this is WEIRD coincidence!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
FFVII ....FTW !

All the characters were beast ... and i could see certain characteristics of friends in each of them.

OMNISLASH !

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by samusaran253

As far as the ff games go its up there in terms of story, but the game play I never really got into which kind of killed the game a little. I really cant remember what the over all story was about but I remember it pretty much was boring for about half the game then it picked up and got interesting.

Though the way I see it when it come to these old games, the ones that I remember what there all about and the story lines that stuck with me over the years are still the best and ff 8 is not really up there.

When I think back on the older rpg's, these are the ones that always stick out from all the others I have played, both in terms of story and gameplay. So these are the ones on my list going down in terms of greatness from back in the day.
1.Xenogears
2.FF12
3.Valerye Profile
4.Valerye Profile 2 Silmeria
5.FF 7
6.Chrono Trigger
7.Chrono Cross
8.FF9
9.FF8

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
FF8 is ok. Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic... brilliant. Bioware has a knack for making RPG's. Though I have to admit, I don't like the idea of them streamlining gameplay.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
FF 7 9 10 and 13 are the best, I just really didn't care for FF8, i thought the overall wasn't worth the hype it got, but I will admit the cinematics were awesome and all and the story was okay, but those were blown out of the water with FF9. But Everyone I've talked to have given me mixed reviews about how they feel about it so I'm just one opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I never noticed we had a video game forum here! But I could not agree more, FFVIII is my all time favorite game. VII was decent at best, VI had a good story but poor gameplay, X lacked everywhere, but 8 is incredible!!!!! Just played through it the other week actually lol

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
i guess everyone has diffeerent opinions when it comes to final fantasy.
#7 is my favourite , maybe because was the first rpg i played, but ive played hundreds since and nothing has captivated like ff7, i must be a fag huh.
ff8 was great at the time , the story was very good, but only the bad chars were good, edea, adel. the good guys sucked except laguna.
ff9 was fun, i'm replaying at the mo'.
ff10 was ok, but tidus , khimari and wakka were really irritating.
ffx-2 was awesome

ff12 was alot of fun to play but the story dragged, politics and video games dont mix.
edit on 29-6-2011 by neonitus because: iiiiiiiiiii

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
When I was younger I played FF8 and liked it best out of the Final Fantasy series for a long time. Then I grab it off PSN (My pc copy wouldnt install) for my psp and played through going through every detail, side mission, and re-experiencing the story. And now I don't like it as much. Wonderful visuals, eyes on me a brilliant song, awesome CG movies, triple triad, etc. But upgrade and junction system confusion, characters, and couple other things just brought it down.
For example, I used to think rinoa was the best girl of the final fantasy series. Now not so much. Beginning of the game she was dating Seifer. Yes that is how she got into the ball to talk with Cid. So it's no wonder Seifer wanted to join Edea. He's offered a respected position and might get a fistful of Squall. Understandable. I'd want the same if some emo# stole my girlfriend.

new topics

top topics

join