It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami Police Ordered Videographer At Gunpoint To Hand Over Phone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Cops...

Miami Beach Police Ordered Videographer At Gunpoint To Hand Over Phone

And why did they do that?

Miami Beach police did their best to destroy a citizen video that shows them shooting a man to death in a hail of bullets Memorial Day.

Ooops.

First, police pointed their guns at the man who shot the video, according to a Miami Herald interview with the videographer.

Then they ordered the man and his girlfriend out the car and threw them down to the ground, yelling “you want to be #ing paparazzi?”

Then they snatched the cell phone from his hand and slammed it to the ground before stomping on it.

But the video survived :

But what they didn’t know was that Narces Benoit had removed the SIM card and hid it in his mouth, which means the video survived.

What's in the video :

The three-minute video captured on Narces Benoit’s HTC EVO phone begins as officers crowd around the east side of Herisse’s car with guns drawn. Roughly 15 seconds into the video, officers open fire.

Benoit filmed the incident from the sidewalk on the northeast corner of 13th Street and Collins Avenue, close enough to see some officers’ faces and individual muzzle flashes.

“They put guns to our heads and threw us on the ground,” Davis said.

It's not on Youtube yet.

Benoit has not posted it on Youtube because he is asking to be compensated. But it sounds as if he won’t have much trouble getting compensated through a settlement with the police department.

Benoit and his girlfriend also said police smashed several phones from other witnesses, so hopefully they were able to recover the videos as well.

And as if the guy they shot was ``guilty`` of anything :

The new details emerged a day after police announced they had found a gun in the car they had shot up.

It took police two-and-a-half days to find the gun in the Hyundai but they still haven’t determined if it was discharged that night.

And 4 people were injured too.

Total : 1 dead and 4 injured, probably for nothing. Nice job cops.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I wish I could say I was sick to my stomach over this story but in all honestly, I expect it from our government these days. That is a very sad thing to say as I have seen the country turn sharply towards tyranny in the last 15 years.

Anyone who is not waking up or paying attention to the every day details such as this will find themselves an island in coming times. America is becoming pre world war II Germany on a very fast track. Our own police who are supposed to protect and serve are nothing more than agenda pushing jack booted revenue collecting thugs who hurt innocent people for fun.

Open your eyes to stories like this, do some digging, hurry up and understand the shift in mentality from the government from the top down, it is very easy to see.
edit on 4-6-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
this is sick. those cops should be locked up for a very very long time. i cant belive it took them 2 days to find a gun, come on there is no excuse for this

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think that it was smart of him to put it in his mouth worries me a bit that all of the cops are getting hip to the wide spead availibility of the smallest of cameras and now I think that more poeple need to use this site that was discussed here www.abovetopsecret.com...
that uploads photos to keep the ones accountable while we still can though it only seems to be getting harder to keep officers accountable

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but I believe you cannot save video files to a sim card. Perhaps he had a micro sd card that he saved. But the video cannot be saved on the sim. Sim cards usually only have 64 kb of memory meant for phone number storage. Hopefully the video was saved to the memory card. I am looking forward to this alleged episode to be exposed. Will be keeping an eye.

Star and flag.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Believe me, this sentiment towards the "authorities" is not just confined to ATS. If you look at comments on any of these stories being MSNBC, FOX NEWS or any others Americans are crying fowl across the board. There are so many citizens unhappy and angry about the way things are headed if we just organized protests we could make a real difference.

We have passed a line in the sand and it is not only conspiracy theorists who see the country headed into the toilet bowl. Now is the time to organize and come together. Not as republican or democrat but as free citizens of the United States of America. Our constitution and freedom is our bond to each other and no rhetoric or government propaganda can take our history away from us.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This guy and his girlfriend had better find them a safe place to hide. If it shows a group of cops committing murder you better believe those cops will want that SIM card and every copy made. They'll probably want it anyway as it shows what the cops did to them.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
It took police two-and-a-half days to find the gun in the Hyundai but they still haven’t determined if it was discharged that night.

2 days to find it.... ? Right... Wonders what the time ratio in hiding it to finding it was !
So much for cops being public servants.... seems they're learning numerous behaviours from the criminals they catch. Yep agree re: following the footsteps of Germany. So much for the Constitution and the words in the American anthem...re: democracy, free n' brave, etc, etc. America ain't what it use to be!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Ask yourselves a question...... Where is the media in all this? Why don't they report on issues like this? Surely Americans would like to know this happens in this country so why is it not reported? Who controls them, who decides what they report?

State run media? You tell me..... This should be on the 11:00, 6:00 news for the next three days but you wont hear a word about it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I wonder what will happen to these cops? Not only should they be permanently relieved of their duty, but they should also serve prison time IMO. Especially after attempting to destroy evidence. That was a heads up move by the victim, and I think he deserves ample compensation from not only the police department, but for his video as well.

He took a big risk attempting to save the video, because there is no telling what would have happened had they found out. I wonder who will buy the footage? The MSM? I doubt it, but one can never really estimate what they will air. The first thing I would have done upon returning home is make MANY copies of that footage. I also would have went 007 in an attempt to hide some of those copies in places no one would ever find.

This is a huge deal, and I hope this story doesn't die. Nice find.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Believe this is a video of incident from a distance, not the close up

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Anyone came across any other video of this. Kinda far away to really say if it was a proper use of force, I'd like to see a better video. Even though the amount of fire seems excessive to me the car could have been moving foward toward officers. That would be a legitimate shoot pretty much regardless, and I think until closer video comes out we should focus on the behavior of police after the shooting.The title references events after the shooting which I think is the more important aspect of this case.

I'm more concerned about the alleged treatment of citizens after the shooting. Especially threats against them, destruction of property, theft, and abuse of authority. The owners of the SD card ( and that is what is has to be, video is not stored on a SIM) need to post it though. Until they do they could be said to look like they are just trying to get a check. But right now the pattern that has emerged of police mistreatment of citizens simply recording events of public nature leads me to take the claim about their treatment by police at face value. If true it's very disturbing and might be another case of the cover-up being as bad or worse than what they are trying to cover up.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Took two and a half days to find a gun? Yeah, that's plenty of time to have planted it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this is nothing new to Miami. Corruption, drug running, and murder are SOP for Miami cops. Remember the Miami River Cops scandal?

In the fifteen years since prosecutors opened the shameful chapter in South Florida history known as the Miami River Cops scandal, about 100 officers have been arrested, fired, suspended, or reprimanded. At least 20 have been sentenced to prison for robbing coc aine dealers of cash and dope. Some are now free men; others are still in the slammer.

Miami is like the wild west of police shootings and corruption. You couldn't pay me to live there, and I'd think long and hard before even visiting, even if I was offered a million dollars to judge a spring break bikini contest.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I gotta say, I'm disgusted. This guy with the video is a complete dirtbag. I mean, seriously..."Benoit has not posted it on Youtube because he is asking to be compensated." Real stellar. I just had a wonderfull daydream. These dirtbag cops track the guy with the video down and kill him....only to be recorded in the act by a citizen who wants to help stop police corruption and brutality. Since he is so willing to protect these dirtbags in the hope of getting paid, I say his fate can't be harsh enough for my liking. Absolutely sickening!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
nazy usa in action courtesy of the mpd. i have always observed in the places i have worked,the following,people in the chain of command start copying there superiors.it starts to flow downwards ,words behaviors,walks attitudes and other things.it never flows up,they are not learning from the criminals,its from there superiors.i wonder ,how high it goes?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yet everyday regular college students laugh at the suggestion when I say we are NOT free. Honestly, I have never experienced full fledged freedom. I am so sick of being told what to believe, how to live, what rules I must follow by some people off in a distance and here in our own backyards. I look forward to the day that I can walk on the sidewalk and no longer see police officers, politicians, etc., and instead see a conscious group of well-informed responsible citizens that do their part in protecting each other from hate, destruction, and greed.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Those cops should be in jail!

Here is another video they couldnt get. It's not the best quality but it was filmed from an upper level building.

Those cops went WAY over the line in this shooting. In the video there is a lady who tells how she and he friend were walking to their hotel and he friend got hit with one of the stray bullets from the cops. I mean wth were they thinking...it appears they werent! Miami is a crazy place and I have no desire to ever go back there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Probably not a sim card. But an micro sd card.
You can save several gigs of data on one.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A bit extreme
to say the least
Looks like war in your front yard.
It's time for the people to implement control over these goons.
The police need to be monitored every minute by the public to ensure
the people are getting what they pay for and not
a death squad hit team out of control
How many times/videos have we seen these types of disrespect to humanity?
Lets make this world a better place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join