It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Hopefully will go To Titan and/or Mars Instead of a Comet PLEASE!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

NASA Hopefully will go To Titan and/or Mars Instead of a Comet PLEASE!

First Link shows the Mission they selected out of the Three Missions.
www.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d51bf98131cb.jpg[/atsimg]

www.space.com...

425Million Dollar MissionThose three are: The Geophysical Monitoring Station (GEMS), which would study the structure and composition of the interior of Mars, potentially improving our understanding of the formation and evolution of terrestrial planets;

425Million Dollar Mission The Titan Mare Explorer (TiME), which would land in and float on a large methane-ethane sea on Saturn's moon Titan, providing the first direct exploration of an ocean beyond Earth; [Video: Targeting Saturn's Moon Titan: Land, Sea and Air]

800+ Million Dollar MissionComet Hopper, which would land on a comet multiple times and observe its changes as it interacts with the sun.

Do The Math NASA The Other Two Missions could be done for the Same Price as the Asteroid Mission. who wants to go to an asteroid lets go to Titan! And MARS!

Note the fact that the New Frontiers Missions will Costs 800+ Million Compared to the other two 425 Million Dollar Missions

I really think NASA or whoever was pushing for this Asteroid Mission was almost Insane to Choose the Mission to an Asteroid that costs twice as much compared to Going to Titan or Mars.

I'm not sure if they are absolutely certain they are choosing this mission yet But in the press release its apparently the one they picked.

I think a Mission to Titan would be the best especially if its half the cost.

We could even send two missions to titan just like we did with the Mars Rovers; we sent multiple mars Rovers to mars.

I THINK ITS A HUGE MISTAKE NASA.

Rescind the Proposition and/or Announcement

I really Disagree with their choice on the Mission Selection.

They are Choosing to Go to An Asteroid which is going to Cost around 800 Million Compared to the other two missions which are prices at 425 million Each Approx.

We could do the other two amazing Missions and set the Asteroid Mission on The back Burner.

This is a Much Better CHOICE!( And for half the Price)

The Titan Mare Explorer (TiME), which would land in and float on a large methane-ethane sea on Saturn's moon Titan, providing the first direct exploration of an ocean beyond Earth; [Video: Targeting Saturn's Moon Titan: Land, Sea and Air]

Titan Mare Explorer- Wikipedia
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c339f655787.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 4-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have to agree. Out of the other two options, they picked one that I see as a wasteful task at this time. Twice the cost, to ''better explain how life began blah blah'' imo is a waste. The other two missions would be much more interesting, and/or better for the reason they give..

Maybe they didn't choose the other two because they were afraid? Something warned them? :O
I don't know, if it's cheaper to do the other missions that also seem possibly a bit more promising, I think somethings behind it. I hope they revise. But why that asteroid?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I agree I'd rather them explore Saturn's titan than an asteroid!

Saturn, besides Mars of course, is probably the coolest planet out there. The rings are just amazing and the pics of Saturn look like cartoon drawings, even though I know they aren't. The noise that comes from Saturn is pretty creepy and interesting too!

As for Mars I can't wait til Curiosity goes up in November and sends back her first pics of Mars. It's a newer more updated rover so I would think the technology would be twice as good than what Spirit and Opportunity have/had.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
800+ Million Dollar Mission
Comet Hopper, which would land on a comet multiple times and observe its changes as it interacts with the sun.

Asteriod
Comet
Asteriod
Comet
Asteriod
Comet
Asteriod
Comet

Yeah, whatever, its all much the same to people who think they know better than NASA on which missions are more important.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Let us not forget that by the time the mission is actually at completion that the price tag will end up being closer to 1.5 trillion as all other missions exceed pre-budget expectations.

wait a minute, I thought we were broke?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mista25

I don't know but apparently Obama and Bolden Are best Friends And had a hand in what mission was selected.

"This is a critical step in meeting the objectives outlined by President Obama to extend our reach beyond low-Earth orbit and explore into deep space," said NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden. "It’s robotic missions like these that will pave the way for future human space missions to an asteroid and other deep space destinations."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b245185e5fb0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Apparently they chose an Asteroid See the Press Release on May 25th same day as article.

NASA To Launch New Science Mission To Asteroid In 2016

I have a right to question why they are going to an Asteroid Instead of the Other Missions. I personally believe it was a wrong choice to go to an asteroid Instead. Especially since the Mission to The Asteroid Costs twice as much as the other two missions combined almost

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hopefully they fit some kind of digging tool on the Rover maybe they can excavate the Martian Surface and find the possible Life Under the Soil.....

Discovery of Deepest Worms Holds Promise for Mars Life
www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yeah I think they are afraid of something.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
You are confused. NASA selects one New Frontiers mission and one Discovery mission this year.
The Discovery mission has not been selected yet!

The discovery missions:
-The Geophysical Monitoring Station (GEMS)
-The Titan Mare Explorer (TiME)
-Comet Hopper
The mission has not been selected yet

What you are probably confusing is the recently selected New Frontiers mission. They had three choices:
-Venus lander
-Lunar sample and return
-Asteroid sample and return (this was selected)

The new frontiers mission selection is completely separate from the discovery selection. One of both will be selected. The Titan mare explorer is still on the table.

The space.com article you linked seems to be confused also.
edit on 4-6-2011 by MacAnkka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
But surely asteroids could contain valuable ore?

Possibly the first step in real space expansion would be to find and locate a suitably rich asteroid and then set up a mining mission, and then use the materials as the next stepping stone to greater advancement and off-world construction.

Or in other words, searching for nearby resources without the trouble of planetary involvement.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
NASA and the powers that be dont want to find life, even though it should be the one and only priority.

Ask yourself why this would be? If life was found that would mean we are not alone !

Think about it,

So unfortunately no life finding missions,

anyway they already know, so why waste !

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacAnkka
You are confused. NASA selects one New Frontiers mission and one Discovery mission this year.

The discovery missions:
-Comet Hopper

What you are probably confusing is the recently selected New Frontiers mission. They had three choices:
-Venus lander
-Lunar sample and return

The new frontiers mission selection is completely separate from the discovery selection. One of both will be selected. The Titan mare explorer is still on the table.

THANKYOU I appreciate it alot
I got confused from the Space.com Article because it was released on the same day they came out with this Press Release

ThankYOU!

Im glad there is still a chance then For There to be a MARS Geographic Survey And Titan Exploration Then!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

Curiosity is a very cool beast.

Much larger than the little guys up there now (g'bye Spirit, *sniff*) and much more capable. With a specific mission.

Mission: To search areas of Mars for past or present conditions favorable for life, and conditions capable of preserving a record of life

marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage I've always had the a theory that Life is ubiquitous in the Universe even if its just a Theory.

My Thread here
Alien Baceteria Could Breed in Extreme Hyper-Gravity

Several different species of bacteria can survive and reproduce in "hypergravity" more than 400,000 times stronger than that of the Earth, a new study reports. The find suggests that alien life could take root in a wide range of conditions -- and that it could survive the high G-forces imposed by meteorite impacts and ejections, making the exchange of life between planets a distinct possibility.

"The number and types of environments that we now think life can inhabit in the universe has expanded because of our study," said lead author Shigeru Deguchi, of the Japan Agency of Marine-Earth Science and Technology in Yokosuka.

The new study suggests that a wider variety of alien habitats may be open to life than scientists had imagined. The results even extend the possibility of life beyond planets, to the strange "failed stars" known as brown dwarfs, researchers said. After all, if Earth bacteria can breed in 400,000 G's, the 10-to-100 G's possibly found on a brown dwarf shouldn't be much of an impediment. And some brown dwarfs may be cool enough to support life as we know it, researchers said

Scientists think meteorite-caused rock ejections can generate up to 300,000 G's, researchers said. The new study indicates that microbial life could survive those conditions and keep right on breeding "If life does exist in other places in the universe, our study provides further evidence that it could spread within solar systems by the mechanism often discussed in panspermia hypotheses -- i.e., impact-based transport of meteorites between bodies of the same solar system,"

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

According to NASA here is what Curiosity will be up to

Toolkit: Curiosity will use 10 science instruments to examine rocks, soil and the atmosphere. A laser will vaporize patches of rock from a distance, and another instrument will search for organic compounds. Other instruments include mast-mounted cameras to study targets from a distance, arm-mounted instruments to study targets they touch, and deck-mounted analytical instruments to determine the composition of rock and soil samples acquired with a powdering drill and a scoop.

Curiosity Rover

Looks like Curiosity is to look for life and see if Mars has had or is able to sustain life currently.

"Curiosity will be prospecting for organic molecules, the chemical building blocks of life," says Joy Crisp of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. "We want to find out whether Mars' environment was, or still is, capable of harboring life."

Further reading on Curiosity Rover

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Although i'd of preferred the Mars/Titan options myself, a comet hopper may not be such a bad idea. Both Mars and Titan will be there for a very long time and we'll get ample opportunity to explore them further in the future.

The opportunity to explore comets/asteroids comes very rarely, especially if the one they have an interest in has such a long orbit or is never likely to be seen again in our lifetime at least.

They may have other reasons for wanting to take on this project, but we'll probably never know.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Seems i was confused and So was Space.Com For Releasing an article on the same day talking about the Press Release as the Nasa Press Release.

Weird..!

See my post here replying to the person who corrected me
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
whoa ! is it just me or does a comet not seem the most obvious choice! !!!!
I mean lets put 800 million into understanding comets better! wait whats this passing bye, ah hello Elenin!
no?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse

Originally posted by MacAnkka

The discovery missions:
-Comet Hopper

-Venus lander
-Lunar sample and return

THANKYOU I appreciate it alot
I got confused from the Space.com Article because it was released on the same day they came out with this Press Release

ThankYOU!

Im glad there is still a chance then For There to be a MARS Geographic Survey And Titan Exploration Then!

No problem.

The space.com article seemed to assume the press release coming that day was going to be about the Discovery mission selection and therefore posted the discovery mission list in that post. To their surprise it was about the New Frontiers mission selection instead. It's quite easy to get confused with NASA's mission selection process even without that kind of mistakes by news sources.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join