It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-level commission declares drug war unwinnable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

High-level commission declares drug war unwinnable

edmonton.ctv.c a

According to a new report, not only is the global war on drugs a failure, but unless governments shift their focus from criminal justice to public health the problems will just keep getting worse.

The damning conclusion was arrived at by a 19-member commission that includes former heads of state, a business mogul and the current prime minister of Greece.

Acting under the banner Global Commission on Drug Policy, theirs is the highest-level panel to ever reach such conclusions
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Look we all knew from the start this drug war was unwinnable unless you do something about the demand you'll never get rid of the supply...

toooooo much money is involved....

still this group did have recommendations

In its report, the commission recommends governments:
•end criminalization of drug users "who do no harm to others," as well as low level farmers, couriers and "petty sellers"
•experiment with legal regulation of drugs "to undermine the power of organized crime and safeguard the health and security of their citizens"
•offer health and treatment services such as supervised use facilities and syringe access rather than "abusive practices carried out in the name of treatment -- such as forced detention"
•abandon the 'just say no' approach to education in favour of "efforts grounded in credible information and prevention programs that focus on social skills and peer influences"
•focus law enforcement efforts "not on reducing drug markets per se but rather on reducing their harms"

edmonton.ctv.c a
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Does this mean the People won?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

This forum is for the discussion of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups related to the trade and trafficking of illicit drugs, and inequities in enforcement of drug-related laws. Personal use, advocacy of legalization, and related non-conspiratorial topics are not allowed. Members posting about personal recreational use of drugs and related mind-altering substances may be banned without warning.This forum is not intended for discussion of legalization advocacy or speculation of enlightenment or spiritual possibilities related to drug use.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Does this mean the People won?

Sadly no...
It means some very important people are saying what were doing now isn't working...
I wouldn't expect a huge change in Policy because of this

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Cool beans...
I didn't know we brought back this forum....
hope this time it doesn't get abused as I got tons of stuff that fit in this particular category

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You've got a high level commission declaring that the drug war is not winnable.

You've got the US using a law enforcement approach to a problem that clearly isn't working.

Seems to me there may be a conspiracy in why the war on drugs is being fought.

Is it being fought to bring big profits to a group of insiders in this country?
Is it being fought to cover up other operations?

Why is there a war on drugs to begin with?

Lots of questions, few good answers.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

Why is there a war on drugs to begin with?

Lots of questions, few good answers.

Not sure if it is THE answer, but I know the public's racist fears helped push the war on drugs. All those crazy black man are getting high on crack/coc aine/weed and they will rape and murder your white women. With all the studies going on worldwide such as MAPS (Rick Doblin) it's about friggin time attitudes and stigmas change, and laws of course. I do not have the link nor can I remember the title at the moment, but there is a very informative documentary on the penitentiary (lucrative) business. I think it's called America's War on Drugs? damnit cant remember. Anyhow, this is great news for the advancement as a society. PS, remember how coc aine used to be the wonder drug that was in everything from cough syrup to coca cola and a vast number of other products.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
exitsting thread here

closed

new topics

top topics

join