It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ala. town hit by tornadoes bans FEMA trailers for homeless; The Mayor of this town is an IDIOT.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Imagine:
The town you live in is stuck by a natural disaster.
You have been living in the ruins of what used to be your house, or maybe a tent for weeks.
Someone offers a trailer for you to live in until you get back on your feet.
You accept, because this would be more secure and accommodating for you and your family.

Then you get a call and are told that you can't accept the trailer because it goes against the towns' ordinance.
You will have to remain homeless because the trailers may look trashy in the town.
Well that is pretty much what the residents of an Ala. town are dealing with now.

The city's refusal to let homeless residents occupy temporary housing provided by FEMA has sparked outrage in this central Alabama town of 2,000, with angry citizens filling a meeting last week and circulating petitions to remove the man many blame for the decision, Mayor Jack Scott.
Ruston and many others view the city's decision as heartless, a sign that leaders don't care that some people are barely surviving in the rubble of a blue-collar town.
"People have to live somewhere. What's it matter if it's in a trailer?" asked Felicia Boston, standing on the debris-strewn lot where a friend has lived in a tent since a tornado destroyed his home on April 27.
Scott has heard all the complaints, and he isn't apologizing. He said he doesn't want run-down mobile homes parked all over town years from now. "I don't feel guilty," he said. "I can look anyone in the eye."

Here is the kick in the face for most of the homeless.........

Residents whose homes were destroyed assumed they would be able to live in one of the hundreds of long, skinny mobile homes that FEMA is providing as temporary housing for tornado victims. After all, the Cordova Police Department, a pharmacy, a bank and City Hall all have moved into similar trailers since the storm.

"There are trailers all over here but (Scott) wants to clean all the trash out. He doesn't like lower-class people," said Harvey Hastings.

Scott said the city can use small trailers because it's for the common good. "It's temporary and we know it's temporary," said the mayor. "We're trying to provide services for everyone.

www.nj.com...

It would seem the only service he is trying to provide is to get those he deems as "common" out of town.

I may be wrong though.

What do you think he is trying to accomplish?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

He sounds like a dip$hizzle who needs to be booted out

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
These people need to gather in mass and create a tent city right in the center of town. The mayor doesn't want trailers? Then give him tents and card board boxes. See how fast he changes his mind.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
those FEMA trailers were proven to cause health problems to people during katrina

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
He's probably been exposed to too much Jerry Springer, which has left a lasting impression

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

I think this mayor should reconsider his decision.
People need places to live in and refusing the trailers
could come back to haunt him in the next election.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Politicians are all idiots. They have no sense and no logic. Whenever there's a tragedy they can't think outside the box.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Fema is not here to help Americans. It will be use to inslave all of us.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DankKing420
those FEMA trailers were proven to cause health problems to people during katrina

Read the article. It is not their health he is worried about.
His concern seems to be on how the town will look, in the years to come, with these trailers in it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RowdyAmerican1
Fema is not here to help Americans. It will be use to Enslave all of us.

Fixed your typo.

Also, would you rather people lived in ruins out in the open or in a secure dwelling while they get back on their feet?

Has nothing to do with what you think FEMA's intentions are, these people are homeless, Now.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That's awesome!
He doesn't want trailers, and too bad if you lost your home. Tough luck.....
Unless you're a politician, a cop, a bankster, or a drug pusher.

We'll make exceptions for those people.

A perfect example of who runs the world!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
These people need to gather in mass and create a tent city right in the center of town. The mayor doesn't want trailers? Then give him tents and card board boxes. See how fast he changes his mind.

Lol, that is a GOOD idea!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
He needs to lose his home and have to sleep out in the cold. He does not have to worry about being mayor ever again. In fact after this he may have to move out of town. If I owed a store I would refuse to sell him food or anything. I would starve him out of town. This will come back to bit him big time. I will even go as far as to say his very life may be in danger.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Maybe there is more to this story than the standard MSM headline.........

Federal Emergency Management Agency trailers used to house hurricane Katrina victims - now have new homes. At least 550 mobile homes and travel trailers will got to public agencies and nonprofit organizations across the state of Alabama. Additional trailers will head to Enterprise to serve as temporary housing and classrooms for tornado victims.

I live in Joplin and I have heard trailers are headed this way...........I will raise hell if they are Katrina trailers.....

www.wsfa.com...
edit on 31-5-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
undoubtedly it seems the Mayor is avoiding
a Federal Lawsuit by claiming they are trashy.

The FEMA trailers issued are the same ones
used during Katrina. These trailers were found
to contain high levels of toxocity that can kill
people. The FEMA trailers were declared
hazardous for humans, yet here we see
them again.

The mayor doesn't want the public using
these FEMA trailers cuz it may kill them.
They are better off in a tent than in a FEMA
trailer. Not to mention after they move into
the FEMA trailer then FEMA starts charging them
rent for it's use.

the mayor is doing these folks a favor even
though they do not realize it at present.
Just the mayor blaming it on trashiness
is a way to avoid a Federal Lawsuit
be denouncing FEMA's intentions.

Good call by the mayor.

burntheships did a thread here on ATS
last week about these same FEMA trailers
which she did an excellent job of
research on. I don't have the link right
off the bat, but a search should
produce it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I agree 100%..........I was living in Louisiana during the Katrina fiasco.........I was at a meeting today with seniors and FEMA trailers were brought up by FEMA as a living option...........

So they are coming .........................I may just have to rally a protest against these trailers before they land.......

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
undoubtedly it seems the Mayor is avoiding
a Federal Lawsuit by claiming they are trashy.

The FEMA trailers issued are the same ones
used during Katrina. These trailers were found
to contain high levels of toxocity that can kill
people. The FEMA trailers were declared
hazardous for humans, yet here we see
them again.

The mayor doesn't want the public using
these FEMA trailers cuz it may kill them.
They are better off in a tent than in a FEMA
trailer. Not to mention after they move into
the FEMA trailer then FEMA starts charging them
rent for it's use.

the mayor is doing these folks a favor even
though they do not realize it at present.
Just the mayor blaming it on trashiness
is a way to avoid a Federal Lawsuit
be denouncing FEMA's intentions.

Good call by the mayor.

burntheships did a thread here on ATS
last week about these same FEMA trailers
which she did an excellent job of
research on. I don't have the link right
off the bat, but a search should
produce it.

I don't believe that is the case here boondock, the mans' job is on the line. I really don't think a federal lawsuit even entered his mind.
From the link in the OP............

Scott has heard all the complaints, and he isn't apologizing. He said he doesn't want run-down mobile homes parked all over town years from now. "I don't feel guilty," he said. "I can look anyone in the eye."

Sounds more like he has a superiority complex, not that he fears the federal government.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
I don't believe that is the case here boondock, the mans' job is on the line. I really don't think a federal lawsuit even entered his mind.
From the link in the OP............

Sounds more like he has a superiority complex, not that he fears the federal government.

ok, let's see.

If you were the Mayor,
would you rather look like
an @r$ehole???

or would you rather look
incompetent ???

@r$ehole wins every time

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I can understand the mayor.

Trailers are tornado magnets. I see it all the time on the news, tornado runs through a city in the south, and camera cuts to half-dressed people pointing to where their trailers used to be.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'm not going to call him an idiot b/c I do not understand why those rules are in place.

When I was a little girl in the 70s, a trailer park got hit by a tornado here and it destroyed it. I remember seeing trailers blocks from where they 'were' and they were wrapped around trees. It was a mess - people died.

So here we've got laws about trailers having to to be 'tied down?' or on foundations?
I think that area is even more prone to them than this one? So I don't KNOW. Looks like they could at least fill local hotels up or something though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join