It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What useless facts due you know but never get to share?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Howdy yall,

I love facts, short,sharp, straight to the point facts. The more obscure and useless the better.

For examle DID YOU KNOW (Feel free to scroll past these to get to the point of the thread)
A headless cockroach can survive 9 days before starving to death?
There was once a law in England that stated "trying to kill oneself is a supreme offense, punishable by hanging"?
Dogs sweat through the bottoms of their feet?
From birth, noses and ears never stop growing, but the eyes remain the same size?
The match was invented after the hand-held cigaratte lighter?
In the bible there are more than 30,000 verses. None of them mention a cat?
When George Washington was appointed president, Russia had a tsar, France had a king, China an emperor, and Japan a shogun?
The man who invented the electric chair was dentist?
The most common first name in the world is Mohammed?
The most common family name in the world is Chang?
Eighty-five percent of the people killed by lightning are male?
The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by the ancient Egyptians?
The energy released in the ten minutes of a normal hurricane is roughly equivalent to the energy contained in all the nuclear stockpiles of the world?
When the observer is land based and stationary the maximum possible duration of an eclipse is 7 minuets and 31 seconds?
The Vietnam War peace talks were delayed by a disagreement in the size of the table?
Captain Cook was the first man to set foot on all continents except Antarctica?
A silicon chip a quarter-inch square has the capacity of the original 1949 ENIAC computer, which occupied a city block?

OK so theres 2 reasons for this thread

The first is to give people a chance to show everyone how clever they are with their mastery of general knowledge.
The 2nd is to brag about a moment I had tonight that made me thankful that even though I cant remember peoples names I can remember the longest recorded flight of a chicken (star to the first person who knows the answer without googling it
)

I have a regular trivia night I attend at a pub here in KL and while talking to a potential client I mentioned this and he told me he goes to one as well and asked if I wanted to join him.
I was happy to go as I enjoy trivia nights and was eager to show off how clever I was

It was a good night, we ended up coming 2nd. We unfortunately didnt do very well in the pop culture round (There were 7 rounds) with questions like
Whos Britneys latest BF?
Whats Kate Middletons sisters name?
How long have Beyonce and JayZ been married? etc etc
Basically 10 questions along those lines, we got 1 in that round and ended up losing the whole thing by 1 point. 1st prize was a weekend away for 4 at a resort in the jungle over here, to be honest didnt really fancy the thought of a weekend away with these guys anyway so wasnt upset.
So the tornament was over and I excused myself to the bathroom, I took my time, had a ciggy, called the GF and told her Id be home soon, basically dawdled for 20 min.
The toilets were outside and as I came in to get back to my table I had to walk past the host as I did so he shoved the mic in my face and said "Do you know what the longest recorded flight of a chicken is?"
I did and I answered him, next thing I knew everyone went nuts my table went bat#&%^ crazy and I was like WTF

The Host grabs me and says "congratulations, how did you know that?" I honestly dont remember where I read it but when I did it stuck with me. Thank god it did because I also didnt know that every week when that trivia is on they have a bonus question at the end they think no one will know, it has a snowballing cash prize for the correct answer that increased by 200 Malaysian Ringgit (about $80 US) every week. It hadnt been answered in 32 weeks!!!!!!!!
They had capped the prize at 5000RM but every week had added things like a bottle of Chivas Regal, a 3 course dinner for 10 at the trivia venue ( very good food), a 200RM voucher at a department store, An MP3 player and also a Full on all day beauty spa treatment for 2 (my GF was soooooo happy with that one)

I got all this plus more and also got to impress the feck out of a buch of strangers all because I knew that pointless piece of nonsense

As I mentioned earlier names are not my strong point and when we were out the front saying goodbye and that I should call him tomorrow to get everything sorted it dawned on me I had forgotten his name, over here as a show of respect you should say someones name when saying goodbye.
I was starting to fret as I could hardly just grab my phone and check at this point/ Just befpre it got awkward a guy called out "Mr Lim, where did you find chicken guy?"
I was so relieved, almost better than he prizes knowing that one answer just saved me from severe embarrassment.

I guess the moral to the story is you can never know enough # no matter how small or # it realy is!!!!!

So ats this is your chance, not everyone will have the opportunity to win glory and riches with their # like I did but at least you can impress your fellow members on here.

Ill star any post that has a trivia fact I havent heard before.
2 rules
No googling as it makes it to easy and
max of 3 per post, if you have more than 3 you know without google just do mutiple posts (yes Im a hypocrite most of the ones I put in were from google, leave me alone)

Look forward to seeing what # we all know

Edit: Sorry Mods may belong in the jokes section if it needs to be moved no stress?

edit on 26-5-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2011 by dbates because: fixed censor circumvention

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hermann Goering, top Nazi criminal, and close friend of Hitler, had a brother, Albert who was an anti-Nazi, who helped lots of people escape the Nazi atrocities.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I got one for ya...

What is a noun in relation to a wine bottle, and a verb in relation to football (American football, not sure if it applies to soccer style).

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This op has more inverted "I"s than a bat cave.

Does that count as a useless fact?

Here's one:

[Honey doesn't spoil.]
Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs
has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

LOL

I knew that one but you get a star coz its cool and I forgot to put it in

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

This is gonna sound wrong but can you first explain what a verb and noun are again?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

octopus have square retina's

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Another dealing with Egypt, but here it is:

[The Nile is a two story river.]
You have the surface Nile,
as well as an unground river that runs
directly beneath it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

and on a side note,, i think i have seen a chicken fly longer then 13 seconds..

. but no video--so it never happened..

lol
edit on 5/26/11 by darrman because: i was chasing it with my car....OLOOOLOL

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I know that "do" means something different from "due", does that count? ;-)

Seriously though, very interested thread.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
the federal government did a 10 year study of all births costing 2.7 billion dollars and concluded that if your parents did not have children there was a 99% likely hood that you would not have children either.
edit on 26-5-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

PUNT

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

bookkeeper is the only word in English that has three double letters next to each other.
an elephant is the only mammal with four knees.
an elephants toenails are round so they don't scratch you when you pick them up.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
you can see the Andromeda galaxy with the naked eye.. it is the only object we can see with the naked eye that is not part of the milky way galaxy..

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Are Lions not cats?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It's impossible to lick your elbow. i tried it, can't be done.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I always have useless facts without any reason to share...

No one ever believed that the Earth was flat. 99% of all cultures have an interest in the stars and only had to look at the moon and the shadows casted upon its surface to determine that we were not living in a flat world.

Pyramids WERE NOT built by slaves. The myth of slavery and pyramid construction was actually purported by a Greek philosopher who surmise that only the use of slave labour could construct monuments. They were actually built by skilled workers who were treated with reverence and buried with respect upon their passing.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

Nice job! It is a punt. A verb in football is the action to punt the football. The noun in wine bottles the punt is the indentation in the bottom of the bottle.
That's my bit of useless information. Use that as a party quiz question and impress your friends, I honestly don't know what else it could be used for.

OP thanks for the post. And kids, thanks for playing.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The best useless fact I know is the average human swallows around ten spiders while sleeping in a lifetime.It's not a popular subject in most conversations so I keep it to myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join