It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

guns guns guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I have just started my preparations, and do not have a gun...yet. Guns are readily available and I will get at least 3(Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun). One of my very first acquisitions though was a good knife. I bought a tanto style K-Bar. At the same time I bought a web belt, a military canteen with GI cup and a military issue folding shovel. I have not decided between a machete or a kukri yet. I always carry my leatherman super tool everywhere I go along with a buck lockblade knife. Add a magnesium block fire starter and a couple cheap bic lighters, and a roll of unwaxed dental floss and I could live off the land for a good while. I want more, but like I said, I am just starting.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yeah, i have seen others like this before

but if i had to go with something like that
one of these might be the go
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d78210afcc28.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04560a1df7a1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I would recommend getting a molle vest. You add to that as you can afford it. That way, in a SHTF scenario, if you have to ditch your pack, you still will have the basics on hand.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

To funny! I would just end up hurting myself with something like that. I'm a klutz! A Battle Axechester...whodathunk!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Dont get me wrong.. ive done my fair share of target shooting at gun ranges (yes we still have them here)
even some of the local police groups run air rifle competitions

And also archery events, i just like the skill of using a bow..
Guns arent illegal here as many people think, its just a totally different culture..
I just dont need one in the enviroment i live

Besides i wouldnt take a knife to a gun fight, i would just disappear in to the bush and not take them on..
Thats part of surviving, not pick a fight you cant win..

heres some info for you
en.wikipedia.org...

Currently, about 5.2% of Australian adults (765,000 people)[1] own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, and target shooting.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

“That’s part of surviving, not pick a fight you can’t win.”

Oh I hear ya. To many think they can run and gun here in the States, or build a fortress. Both will attract enemies. I’m not far from the Canadian border. If the SHTF, I plan on sneaking and peaking my way home to family in rural Wisconsin. Lots of woods to hide out in between. I hold no illusions though, I may not make it.

I really need to get more proficent with a Bow though. It's make a great addition to my kit and expand my hunting season.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why is it always one or the other?

Any reason I can't / don't have guns, knives, bows, slingshots, batlif, etc....?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

yeah why can i only have one or the other. what happens when i have them all like i do know? you use the knife why i use my AR-15.

Its going to take me a long time to run out of 2,000+ rounds and when that happens i say hello to my cross bow and knifes

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree with you. Im more of an "All of the above" type person. The more the merrier!!! I have my axes, machetes, KaBar (cuz im a Jarhead), pocket knives, handguns, rifles, air rifle (awesome - no gun powder and 4000 bbs), and shotgun. AND reloading equipment!!! I could use a bow though....heh!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You might like or not like guns, I am in America where I can have guns and do...you have to use what you have, however I wouldn't take a knife to a gun fight...knives are great but I would have a gun or 20...lol
Good luck with that 300 yard knife throw.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Why fear the common Joe, when you should fear the Military Vet that has the training and knowledge. All within the realm of the statement that the Common Joe is good out to 100 yards.

As for Bow vs Rifle?
You keep your bow, when I tag you from 400 yards out, I can take what I want.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Why fear the common Joe, when you should fear the Military Vet that has the training and knowledge. All within the realm of the statement that the Common Joe is good out to 100 yards.

As for Bow vs Rifle?
You keep your bow, when I tag you from 400 yards out, I can take what I want.

EXACTLY...in the corps we shoot m16 open sights out to 500 yards annually...scored and documented for promotion with your rifle qualification...be it marksman, sharpshooter, or expert...eather way, you done if your after a vet with his rifle in his hand.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by THEwTRUTH

Well if your talking KA-BAR's forget the Navy version...
what you want is the Marine Corps Version KA-BAR!!!
Much better made knife...

Of course I do have some predigest in that regard

All kidding aside, look at Benchmade or one from Cold Steel if you do go with a cold steel take a close look at the Tanto knives they make... some of the best in the biz and guilty of giving me one of the nastiest cuts I ever had

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
you people are not going to be fighting a war

the best school of thought is just like it is right now in our so called "civilized" world.

use only when needed.

the mere presence of a gun is enough to scare off most would be attackers.

the weapon should still be a choice of last resort and when there is no other alternative.

1 shot 1 kill if and when it comes to that.

spray and pray people are going to end up deader than a dinosaur.

stealth
evade

hell run.

for the gi joe wanna bes are you people really going to be killing whoever and where ever you want?

im not i hope there are more people who think like i do.

a survival strategy is golden because thats the name of the game SURVIVING not legends in your own minds.

theres another thing about wannabe badazzes there are always smarter deadlier people than you.

a good supply of ammo and a well thought out strategy will make your ammo supply last for a long time.
edit on 24-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by James1982

Give me a decent bow over a gun anyday..

the silence as the shaft travels though the air..
gone before they know your there.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

OK John Rambo...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

Omg !!! you just made my day..
that brings back so many memories... lol

my mum got the first ramdo movie out of the video store o watch as kids one night while they went out to dinner..
she thought it must be about horses because it had the name stallion on the front...
wasnt till she got home and we said thats no horse movie mum, that she realised it said Stallone..
I love Bows..
But yeah thats my magic monkey ninja skills talking

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
Boys, You act like you can convince me that guns are good ?
you fail to see that some people see them as a weapon of war that is what got us into this situation in the first place, and we must rise above it..
make friends instead of enemy's, respect instead of dominate..
i dont need a gun to feel like a man..
boys and there toys..
this was a thread about the value of a knife, hijacked again by the gun lovers..

You might want to read up on a little US history. The Cherokee/Apache/Shawnee...etc. All used the BOW as a weapon of war as well as a weapon to take game with.

So, Im not trying to sway to go out and buy a firearm ( I too am proficient with a bow) but your complete naivete about the haves and haves not is a little concerning.

To get back on track about knives, unless you know how to flint nap, i would infest in a good straight blade like a SOG and more importantly, learn how to sharpen steel. There is nothing worse than a dull ass knife.

EDIT-I didnt see you were down under...tuff to get your hands on things that go boom...my bad
edit on 24-5-2011 by armtx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

LOL. im living in Australia, born here breed here, so yeah forgive me if im rusty on USA history...
but as for sharping knifes umm, yes something i learnt a long long time ago..
Also know how to use and sharpen straight razors

im not as young as you might think

but have fun

EDit , because you edited it i need to edit mine to say ok sorry about the Australia bit..
edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: time loop

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

I happen to be Apache... Jicarilla Apache...
Did my forefather's use bows... yeah and knives and rocks and anything else that worked...
but when you ask what does this modern day Jicarilla Apache use????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcf11f13d1cf.jpg[/atsimg]
that ... Ke-mo sah-bee... is a Winchester M70 300 wsm....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by armtx

I happen to be Apache... Jicarilla Apache...
Did my forefather's use bows... yeah and knives and rocks and anything else that worked...
but when you ask what does this modern day Jicarilla Apache use????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcf11f13d1cf.jpg[/atsimg]
that ... Ke-mo sah-bee... is a Winchester M70 300 wsm....

Is that a BOSS on the end of that fine piece of machinery or a flash surpressor?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My personal favorite knife and ax are a WWII era gurkha kukri, and an estwing camp ax. I also really like my coldsteel ultimate hunter folder and american tomahawk trail hawk. I think some people are delusional about bows not running out of ammo. Arrows are not fast and easy to make, they take a good bit of skill and a little time to personally manufacture them to fly true. They are also easy to lose and easy to break. The combination bows needed to hit farther targets also have machined moving parts that you would be unable to get under the same circumstances as not being able to get ammo and gun parts. On a side note you mentioned you're australian, and every one I have met from that country is anti-gun, it is definitely a different culture than the US, lol.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join