It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shell will builds world's biggest floating object

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Shell's announced that it's to go ahead with plans to build the world's largest floating object ever, a platform designed to exploit offshore natural gas fields.

The Prelude Floating Liquefied Natural Gas (FLNG) project, moored some 200 kilometres offshore from Australia, will produce gas from offshore fields and liquefy it onboard by cooling it to minus 162 degrees Celcius.

Construction will now begin at a shipyard in South Korea.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c66d52f55586.jpg[/atsimg]

Nothing says "too big to fail" like a rig where one catastrophe means absolute nightmarish consequences....

The facility is expected to go into production in around 2017 at the Prelude gas field. It expects to harvest some 110,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. The FLNG facility will stay permanently moored at the Prelude gas field for 25 years, after which it may be moved elsewhere.

You have to wonder if they will construct this monster with materials and processes in place that will actually make it safe after 25-years.... take a look at some 25-year old rigs today..... how are they holding up?...

Source
edit on 23-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well I say that since they have the market cornered and the prices are fixed and nobody is doing anything about it......................................... Drill then.

If that makes them happy to where "peak" oil and gas is out of the equation for a minute.

Everybody is against it..................... I am against high as hell gas prices. No residential household should ever have a $450 dollar power bill just to heat their house.

By the way. I did S&F you because that is one hell of a big rig.

edit on 23-5-2011 by liejunkie01 because: by the way.

edit on 23-5-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Looks like a massive industrial floating turd.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You and me both!

Sadly, what they will do is claim the cost of this rig is so immense they will have to hike prices to cover the cost...

... did you notice that you could have a small farm on the roof of that thing? Or maybe a mini golf course.... yeah. that's more likely.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Sadly, what they will do is claim the cost of this rig is so immense they will have to hike prices to cover the cost.

I just hope that it will not be as big of a hike, if they didn't have the profits the thing will produce.

It expects to harvest some 110,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. The FLNG facility will stay permanently moored at the Prelude gas field for 25 years,

That is alot of loot. Shell has dollar signs in their eyes. They are seeing 110,000 barrels equuivalent per day

Price of Oil

$97.58 per barrel

Daily change of 2.37 ( 2.37% )Oil Quote Updated May-23-11 3:30 PM

www.quoteoil.com...

Pure profits once the thing is paid for. Lots of profits.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The cities of Venice and Mexico are floating objects. I Exxon's monstrosity bigger than they are?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phractal Phil

Uh... that's Shell's monstrosity, not Exxon's.

It's also not exactly a "tanker"-- it holds liquified natural gas-- not oil. If it blew up, it would make a pretty nice fireball, but any unburned gas would simply evaporate-- that's a lot better for the environment than an oil spill.

Honestly, I can't completely understand what the massive anger toward oil companies is about. You don't like gas? Don't buy any. Millions of people survive without it everyday.

top topics

join