It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Iceland eruption

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Earthquakes began to break out all across the island seismograph stations this afternoon, with visual confirmation of the eruption column close to (or at) Grimsvotn 4pm local time. Eruption is currently a ongoing phreatomagmatic event as the main magma moves up beneath the glacier sheet.

Live webcam with the plume to the left.
live.mila.is...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc439b3fff6a.jpg[/atsimg]

en.vedur.is...

WOW!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Dare I ask - where is this in relation to Katla ? PM - come in please !

Is this a seasonal snow melt thing (very warm at moment in Northern Europe ) or proper tremors?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

edit on 21-5-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Oh it is not a world wide event after all.
Just Iceland then.
Can you see any christians ascending to heaven?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thanks Skitz - good map ! Berkeleygirl's map shows the recent activity in a bad zone also though - those beached whales off Uist were onto something it seems.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
is it starting now? rapture that is.......6pm was very specific

Or maybe not!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Am i the only person that opened this with no thoughts on rapture in one's mind? I was like oh, this is interesting news then all i read is rapture comments. /me shakes head.
This is intense stuff. Let's get those names of those volcanos

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Grimsvotn is tied in with the Laki fissures, which is why if the eruption spreads laterally into fissure vents rather than stays as a plinian eruption which is what this initial venting is doing then we have problems. So far its behaving itself but these are VERY early days and although this eruption was expected in that 2010 the mountain was giving signals of displacement, the sudden swarms followed by the sudden transformating phreatomagmatic/plinian eruptions means I fear we have yet to see what this previous VEI3 volcano is capable of producing.

Hekla to the south of the Island is another overdue for a eruption, and like Grimsvotn also has been showing signs of mid-slope tilt.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I wonder if this is the volcano I saw in my dream?
I hope not. My garden has had enough fertilizer for this year.

I posted a thread about it here. ( Don't care about flags or stars, I care if people are going to get hurt.)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace and love.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Been following a blog by Jon Frimman for a year now, do a search on him, he is following this with live photos being uploaded... Its awesome. I checked this site at tea time and there was not a thing, just shows you how fast these things blow.

This has been rumbling for a while now so it is not a shock it did blow, there have been small earthquakes for months showing the possibility of magma movement....

... its still really awesome none the less !!!!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
When was the VE13 capability calculated ? i.e. last eruption ..... and I remember from the Eyafjallojo,kul (huge s.p.) threads Hekla was not good either if activated, let's see if it's a belch or becomes as intriguing as last years' activity...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
How does Grimsvotn compare to Eya ffffccllll ( however the heck you spell that one from last year!) in terms of size? Is it comparable to 'big sister' Katla or is dependent on type of volcano as well as it's underground behaviour?

I read a lot about Katla, Hekla and Bardarbunga when Eya was kicking off but don't know much at all about this latest...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
VEI3 was from Grimsvotn's brief 2004 eruption. Of course that's not to take into account the effects of ash-fall and the Lahaar seen, the problem with the VEI scale is that it mainly takes into account the direct scale of the eruption and not subsequent consequences afterwards (say a resulting famine, disease, etc) so its not a perfect scale.

link   
21 May 2011 Last updated at 21:09 GMT

Iceland's Grimsvotn volcano starts new eruption

www.bbc.co.uk...

Iceland's most active volcano, Grimsvotn, has started erupting, scientists say. The volcano, which lies under the Vatnajokull glacier in south-east Iceland, last erupted in 2004. In 2010, plumes of ash from Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano caused weeks of air travel chaos across Europe.

yes bbc is covering this new eruption folks so yes its really happening again .

news.bbc.co.uk...

Iceland is a volcanic hot spot on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge - the dividing line between the Eurasian and North American continental plates. The country's three major volcanoes - Hekla, Katla and Grimsvotn - lie along this boundary. Altogether there are 35 active volcanoes on and around the island.

thought id add more information on icelands volcanoes ..

edit on 21/5/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by RUDDD

I see no eruption, where is the "plume"? All I see on the link web cam is water flowing beside a bank towards some ice.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Lighten up and don't take yourself so seriously, why should we not have fun.
Otherwise it is all doom, gloom and despondency on this site.
Iceland is just about the most volcanic country on earth.
Look at it this way,it could be considerd the earth's safety valve for the Northern hemisphere just like New Zealand is for the southern hemisphere.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

That scene at Jokulsarlon changes so fast, I did see a tiny bit of eruption earlier.

live.mila.is...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

The plume has gotten that expansive its covered the entire sky now (which is why its black) on satellite IR its evident as the tops have reached 46,000ft high (nearly 7 miles) and getting higher, covering HALF the interior of Iceland now. This plume is massive and getting bigger, this isn't your typical sunset plume in the picture books.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
uh oh ! time to sell airline stocks again if this continues - there's bound to be a knee jerk reaction on Monday !

Any stills or footage of that Rudd ? The live cam just looks - well , normal !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join