It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher on Christianity 5/13/12

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I searched to see if anyone pointed this out yet, but couldn't find it, so if its a double I apologize.

I think he's right on the money here

Just in case I didn't embed right
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

As always, Bill Maher is spot on!

edit on 18-5-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Its funny, but he too doesn't get it. Hate is not a good message. When I say hate, I am referring to his message to Christians. Just not cool to me. Funny in a way, yes...but not cool.

After his (OBL) death was announced there were many religious friends of mine praising the act. I couldn't believe it. Until he is proven guilty in our Court of Law...its simply not justified in my eyes.

Sorry Bill Maher fans but this dude..is not a favorite of mine as he usually is NOT funny and not only that his message is mostly distorted, in my opinion.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Gandhi was so F'ing Christian that he was Hindu! Love it!

Bill Maher right on the money as usual. Wheat from chaff my Christian friends. I leave you with some words from my boy JC.

1 'Judge not, that ye may not be judged, 2 for in what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged, and in what measure ye measure, it shall be measured to you. 3 And why dost thou behold the mote that is in thy brother's eye, and the beam that is in thine own eye dost not consider? 4 or, how wilt thou say to thy brother, Suffer I may cast out the mote from thine eye, and lo, the beam is in thine own eye? 5 Hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then thou shalt see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

6 Ye may not give that which is holy to the dogs, nor cast your pearls before the swine, that they may not trample them among their feet, and having turned -- may rend you.

7 'Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you; 8 for every one who is asking doth receive, and he who is seeking doth find, and to him who is knocking it shall be opened. 9 'Or what man is of you, of whom, if his son may ask a loaf -- a stone will he present to him? 10 and if a fish he may ask -- a serpent will he present to him? 11 if, therefore, ye being evil, have known good gifts to give to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in the heavens give good things to those asking him?

12 'All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets.

13 Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide is the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it; 14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

15 'But, take heed of the false prophets, who come unto you in sheep's clothing, and inwardly are ravening wolves. 16 From their fruits ye shall know them; do men gather from thorns grapes? or from thistles figs? 17 so every good tree doth yield good fruits, but the bad tree doth yield evil fruits. 18 A good tree is not able to yield evil fruits, nor a bad tree to yield good fruits. 19 Every tree not yielding good fruit is cut down and is cast to fire: 20 therefore from their fruits ye shall know them.

21 'Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things? 23 and then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness.

24 'Therefore, every one who doth hear of me these words, and doth do them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house upon the rock; 25 and the rain did descend, and the streams came, and the winds blew, and they beat on that house, and it fell not, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 'And every one who is hearing of me these words, and is not doing them, shall be likened to a foolish man who built his house upon the sand; 27 and the rain did descend, and the streams came, and the winds blew, and they beat on that house, and it fell, and its fall was great.'

28 And it came to pass, when Jesus ended these words, the multitudes were astonished at his teaching, 29 for he was teaching them as having authority, and not as the scribes.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's 2012, already

hmmm....I knew this puffage was some goodness, but all be damned!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I despise Bill Maher and everything he stands for but he has a good point here, he's actually correct for once.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So what's his big revelatory point, it's hard to be a good Christian? Yeah, Bill. We know.

People like this guy?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Watch Richard Dawkins mop the floor with a Christian

..and now for his hate-mail!

Pretty hilarious stuff.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

So what's his big revelatory point, it's hard to be a good Christian? Yeah, Bill. We know.

People like this guy?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

If you agreed with him then why not like him?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18
If you agreed with him then why not like him?

I agree it's difficult to be Christian. I think Maher is a jerk who mocks what he doesn't understand, or worse, understands and mocks anyway for some perceived "entertainment" value.

Besides, there are plenty of people I agree with who I'd judiciously avoid. Plenty I disagree with who I really like. Likeability and agreement don't always go hand-in-hand.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Excellent.

I don't get into all of Maher's stuff as he is overly 'liberal' for my taste and sometimes gets unclassy, but he is 100% correct here.

Just like politicians, christians also need to have their feet held to the fire on a regular basis. Even 'Jesus' said openly that those who claim to know him but act otherwise will be rejected, and Bill here provides a quick summary of how christians are supposed to be peaceful (prince of peace, everyone?), non-retaliatory, and return good for evil - which pretty much all of mainstream christianity has moved away from (christians, do some research on how the church was COMPLETELY pacifist for the first few centuries, until Constantine and Rome co-opted pretty much the whole thing).

Good skewering here and I cannot disagree with a bit of it. Christians are supposed to be fearless and the epitome of loving, yet we have so many of them so afraid of boogeymen - sorry, I mean 'terrorists' - that they are willing to give up on christian liberty and walk in darkness according to the ways of the world.

edit on 5/18/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi mamaj,

I'm christian myself, but I don't see any hate here. Slightly malicious pleasure in calling a spade a spade, perhaps, but what I see here is rightful conviction being thrown out to those not walking as they ought.

I believe Christ had stronger and less-pleasant things to say about those who claim him yet walk contrary.

Be well.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

People like this guy?

I like people I don't agree with, and I agree with people I don't like - I don't rejoice in either of their sorrows, hardships, or wish to kill them for their POV - his point is you should practice what you preach
and I'm not a christian.

reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

More great stuff! thanks for sharing it

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Excellent.

I don't get into all of Maher's stuff as he is overly 'liberal' for my taste and sometimes gets unclassy, but he is 100% correct here.

Just like politicians, christians also need to have their feet held to the fire on a regular basis. Even 'Jesus' said openly that those who claim to know him but act otherwise will be rejected, and Bill here provides a quick summary of how christians are supposed to be peaceful (prince of peace, everyone?), non-retaliatory, and return good for evil - which pretty much all of mainstream christianity has moved away from (christians, do some research on how the church was COMPLETELY pacifist for the first few centuries, until Constantine and Rome co-opted pretty much the whole thing).

Good skewering here and I cannot disagree with a bit of it. Christians are supposed to be fearless and the epitome of loving, yet we have so many of them so afraid of boogeymen - sorry, I mean 'terrorists' - that they are willing to give up on christian liberty and walk in darkness according to the ways of the world.

edit on 5/18/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

I have no real comment for this one - it just needed to be repeated.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

People like this guy?

The main point is not that it's hard to be a good Christian, but the hypocrisy of Christians preaching to everyone else, but ignoring the Bible themselves. You have evangelists screaming at homosexuals for not following what's written in the Bible, yet they ignore the teachings of Jesus.

Then again, we live in a country full of what I call symbolism Christians. People who are Christians due to their family being Christians and the expectations of their community. People which basically only go to church on Sunday because it's expected of them. People that own Bibles yet only know what their preachers tells them each week as they never read it themselves.
edit on 18-5-2011 by Kaploink because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
The main point is not that it's hard to be a good Christian, but the hypocrisy of Christians preaching to everyone else, but ignoring the Bible themselves.

I fail to discern a difference.

extra DIV
extra DIV

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

From my own perception I just did not think it was funny that he call out people of one faith and bash. It did not offend ME, but I felt bad for others. He has never been a favorite of mine as I usually have a total different opinion than him....plus...I don't find him comical.

Everyone in their own right is trying to survive this world and we each do it a different way.

He was judging others for......judging.

Hate to me is the opposite of love. Its a form of racism in my opinion. To call out one that is different from you and then everyone praise the message and the messenger is not "cool" with me. ;-)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Fair enough, sister.

As he is not christian though, I cannot hold him to any higher standard (LET THE FLAMING BEGIN! *spreads arms*). And I don't disagree with your views here, necessarily, I just can't fault him for what he said. Christians, IMHO, need to be held to account moreso than others, given what we are supposed to represent. Unfortunately, those claiming to be such fail on a more-regular basis than I can stomach.

Including myself.

In all fairness, he is a sharp guy and I agree with him on some things - and occasionally he makes me chuckle. Just WAY too liberal.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Personally I did not consider it to be "judgement".

I considered it a "calling out" and it needs to be done more often.

This "do as I say, not as I do" attitude is just crap.

Now can someone fix youtube for me? :|
edit on 18-5-2011 by Forevever because: server fail

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
He was judging others for......judging.
Wrong. He was judging others for not practicing what they preach. Posts like these remind of those posts that complain about people being intolerant of intolerant people.
edit on 26-5-2011 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join