It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens nuclear build-up over U.S. missile shield

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Russia threatens nuclear build-up over U.S. missile shield

www.cnn.com

Moscow (CNN) -- Russia will need to develop a "significant nuclear potential" if the United States does not convince Moscow its missile defense system isn't aimed at Russia, President Dmitry Medvedev said Wednesday.

Medvedev is not convinced by American assurances that the proposed Europe-based system is not aimed at Russia, he said in a rare news conference.

The result would be a return to the Cold War, Medvedev warned, calling that "a very bad scenario."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Is it just me or does Russia look like they are a little bit mad at the West recently? They seemed to be very opposed to the NATO intervention in Libya, but didnt really do much about it.

Now they are saying they will build up their nuke pile if they're not convinced the US missle shield isnt pointed at them? Who exactly is the missle shield supposed to be pointed at? Iran? Does Iran have missles that can reach Eastern Europe?

Medvedev also said that if the US goes forward with the missle shield, it could also prompt Russia to scrap the START treaty.

The end of the article says that Russia's relations with NATO is "not bad"....

The Russian president also praised a thaw in ties with NATO, saying Moscow and the alliance's relations were "not bad," and "developing normally."

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I also have to ask this - Hasnt Russia become more friendly with Pakistan recently?.
edit on 18-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh them Russians I tell ya ! Ever since Gorbachev and Reagan became friends and took down the U.S.S.R., the extreme wright in Russia have been looking for a way and reason to stand up again. This seems to have lit up a very old flame and can soon escapade to a 5 bell fire!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
S&F....will be keeping an eye out on this one.....could get interesting very quickly.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Russian people are a hell of a lot more honest and decent and nicer in every way than an American is.

Why do American's always have to have an "enemy"?

Why do American's always have to always be the big buck?

Nobody wants American "shields" in our countries, they get it there by force and coercion and threats against those countries.

edit on 18-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I find it interesting that this article has come out at the same time as the thread in here mentioning
Obama wanting to create endless Wars which some are calling world war 3. Sounds a bit fishy
to me there's something they're withholding as usual from the rest of us.

Ir would seem that they're eager to create chaos to it's max 'purposely.' Nothing is ever done by accident with
these self appointed demi gods, no matter which side of the fence they reside.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
They've been saying this for the past year now so it's not really news, just another reminder Russia isn't pleased with the direction of the missile shield, which I can't really blame them. How would you feel if all of the sudden your enemy of the past decides to build a missile shield over you which can be turned against you? I think that joint co-operation on the project is a MUST if we want to feel safe otherwise Medvedev is right and the Cold War days will surely resurface.

What's truly scary is that this is just ONE of the possibilities of the nuclear days coming back. Look at the uncertainty in China, Pakistan, Iran, North Korea, even Syria; just one of these countries problems could push the whole world to the brink of destruction and we're getting dangerously close. Hopefully cooler heads prevail because this is a situation that can't afford to be screwed around with.
edit on 18-5-2011 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is bad news. S & F, anyways as it is reporting true fact IMO. I hope this is not the beginning of WWIII. Love and peace to you all folks. Mayb you find all that you need inside.

Thruthseek3r

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why do they need that, dont they have a tsunami weapon? How would a missle sheild block that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-5-2011 by pyrodude because: link issue

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I wonder is Russia looking for an excuse to distance itself from America.....I also wonder is Russia really in league with China and the Middle East....and will all their missiles be pointed at us?
edit on 18-5-2011 by caladonea because: To correct a word

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I did a little more searching and found these articles.

www.canada.com...

Medvedev told reporters that the U.S. decision to push ahead with construction of the missile defence system despite Russia's objections will force Moscow "to take retaliatory measures — something that we would very much rather not do."

"We would then be talking about developing the offensive potential of our nuclear capabilities. This would be a very bad scenario."

That article says the US missle shield is supposed to be against Iran but Russia thinks the system could be used to target themselves in the future. Then it says the US is refusing to say that will never happen.

Medvedev on Wednesday demanded a legally-binding assurance from the United States that this will never happen — a safeguard that Moscow says Washington is refusing to give.

I also found an article dated May 11

House panel approves limits on complying with arms pact with Russia

The House Armed Services Committee approved an amendment Wednesday that could limit presidential authority to comply with a new arms treaty with Russia by reducing the number of strategic nuclear weapons.

Under the amendment, passed by voice vote, none of those reductions could be made through 2017 without a certification to Congress from the secretaries of the Defense and Energy departments that costly modernization plans for the U.S. nuclear weapons complex were being carried out. The Obama administration agreed to those plans last year.

A second element in the amendment would prohibit any reductions outside the treaty — whether unilateral or agreed-upon — in the roughly 3,000 non-deployed strategic warheads before the energy secretary certifies two new weapons-production facilities as operational. Both are still in the planning stages at national laboratories in Los Alamos, N.M., and Oak Ridge, Tenn.

Im not sure if I understand the 2nd article correctly. From what I see in it, it looks as if there will be nothing done to reduce the nuke stockpile until 2017, unless congress gives the OK.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I wonder is Russia looking for an excuse to distance itself from America.....I also wonder is Russia really in league with China and the Middle East....and will all their missiles be point at us?

If I had a missile in my garrage I would have it pointed at America too

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
what better way for the globalists on both sides to start making tonnes of cash from a 'theatrical war' by building weapons and creating mass world terror ,also pushing each others buttons and squabbling in the media. By using two old enemys to 'fight' and have the rest of the world running scared and picking sides seems a great idea.

he pushed me!

no, you pushed me first!

did not!

school yard stuff

de ja vu?

a big cup of patriotism anyone?

edit on 18-5-2011 by wedidgothacked because: typo

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So much START? That little non-proliferation agreement wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. I knew the Russians would find any excuse what so ever to ditch agreement. Now, it is back to the missile defense shield being the main stickler. Let them have another arms build-up for all I care.

That is their solution for everything whenever they feel the other countries are not playing nice. When has the Russians ever played nice on the international stage? I'll be watching this, but it seems like more huffing and puffing out of Russia?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
So much START? That little non-proliferation agreement wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. I knew the Russians would find any excuse what so ever to ditch agreement. Now, it is back to the missile defense shield being the main stickler. Let them have another arms build-up for all I care.

That is their solution for everything whenever they feel the other countries are not playing nice. When has the Russians ever played nice on the international stage? I'll be watching this, but it seems like more huffing and puffing out of Russia?

And how many Nukes does America have inside the US and in other countries?

Im betting quite a lot and I am sure they havn't stopped building em and stockpiling and replacing old stock.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

Originally posted by Jakes51

And how many Nukes does America have inside the US and in other countries?

Im betting quite a lot and I am sure they havn't stopped building em and stockpiling and replacing old stock.

Quite a few I would reckon. I know it is in the thousands. Don't have an exact figure though. Perhaps, both sides are looking for excuses to ditch the agreement? Moreover, it was probably just another political stage play to win brownie points for President Medvedev and President Obama since elections for both are coming up.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
American shields are just an excuse for them to occupy other countries, how many countries outside the US does America occupy? Uk, Australia, Iceland, NZ, Germany, Poland, other places in Europe, some countries in the Middle East and not including that other flag of convience called NATO.

Oh why do they hate us.. oh i dono. Thick idiots.

edit on 18-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

en.wikipedia.org...

here is an estimate of states with nuclear weapons

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Is this the real reason behind the new WW3 bills?

<<   2 >>

join