It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You One of 23,000 Defendants in the US' Biggest Illegal Download Lawsuit?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Are you implying people that build the house you live in are stupid? Lets see you build a house

Well, until said "pencil sharpener" is paid for, they don't get possession of it. If the person that hired me refuses to pay for it, well then I sell it to someone else...

When you do construction for people, you sign a contract. If they refuse to pay, then I take them to court.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
Of course, money isn't the reason I do any of it, and I'd rather be heard then be sold, so it's a mixed bag at best.

I totally agree with you. My music is much less of a financial concern to me, most often people get enjoyment out of it and communicate that with me, which is nice. Since I don't play professionally anymore and I don't have to worry about starving because of it these days, so I'm more than willing to let it slide.

Where I don't is on occasion, I'll hear a TV commercial (usually something local) using something I wrote and recorded years ago and I KNOW they didn't have my permission to do so. They're making money off of me, usually pimping something I wouldn't agree to allow it to be used for anyhow. That's when the lawyers come out, and I get paid, but still it bothers me they just feel free to steal it and hope no one will notice.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by edog11

The flip side to the coin though is how the appeals will go for the IP ruling. If that goes through the FEderal appeals and is overturned, the lawsuit against the 23k will go forward.

Definitely a roll of the dice...

Out of curiosity, who thinks the people who donwload illegally should get a pass and why? I have seen people on here argue that sharing software / music / movies / etc should be outside the law. Just curious where peoples mindset comes in that its ok to steal.

Any idea how many copies of Metallica's "Master of Puppets" i bought as a kid? They literally would disappear from my bedroom (which i kept pretty clean, i had a swank bedroom). I bought at least a dozen copies before i just started making copies of a friends tape.

Any idea how many times i have bought a CD/DVD/Game to have it crack in the middle when i pulled it out of the container?

And why is the cost for downloading about the same as the cost for buying it at Wal Mart? And if i download from Wal Mart, why am I limited in how many times i can move it on a computer? I have files that have been moved from computer to computer for me to listen to that I can no longer use because i downloaded them back in 2006 and only had like 3 or 4 moves before the license stopped working.

I see "pirating" as a form of protest. Do i pirate a lot of stuff? Hellz no...i am not stupid. But i have protested. And with Master of Puppets, i have paid (repeatedly) for that music. I am not paying any more for it. Better technology allows me to secure my investments a whole lot better.

Finally, when i was a kid the Supreme Court ruled that we could record television on VHS/Beta. If i am downloading TV shows, i see no problem with that. It is essentially the same thing as recording it to VHS/Beta. If it is on a "Tube" site, i think it is fair game. I hate watching YouTube, but will download good videos and play them on a Phillips DIVX DVD player i bought for each room in my house. My son likes Family Guy and Simpsons. My wife watches, right now, Reba (gag...i just thew up in my mouth). And i watch stuff like Documentaries from NOVA or History Channel. Or Jon Stewart/Colbert.
edit on 11-5-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Yep, I know, I am from NY. Only the illegals were getting hired when I left. They work for peanuts, honest workers can't compete, we have taxes, liability and workman's comp to pay on top of living expenses

But the thing about construction, There is always someone, somewhere that needs their house built. Always will be. Or at least need something built or fixed.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zDecoy

I did also but dude your ip changes every so often so your ip you had 6 months ago is completely different than the one you have now...unless you never shut off your machine or modem

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Do you know how impossible it is to sue 23,000 people over piracy laws?

It would take a hundred lawyers 250 years to settle the thing, not including appeals.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Are you implying people that build the house you live in are stupid?

No more than you implying people who make movies, music and software are.

Lets see you build a house

Let's see you make a movie. Let's see you record several albums and tour the U.S. How about TV commercials? Stingers for sports casts? Let's see you write software for video games. You want me to keep going?

I've done additions to my own home, I've redone the roof of my father's home after a tornado ripped it off, heck my best friend builds houses for a living, and I can pretty much guarantee you that I have a much better shot of building a house than you do of any of the stuff I mentioned above.

But heck, you're the "smart" one. Maybe I'm wrong, why don't you prove it to us?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Will Ferrell. Frat-house laffer "Old School," for instance, grossed $75 million at theaters in the U.S., but it then went on to sell an impressive $83 million worth of DVDs.

Vin Diesel. Has been in two pics that outperformed on DVD. "The Fast and the Furious" grossed $144 million at the box office but then sold $132 million on DVD. His follow-up, "XXX," sold $97 million on DVD after grossing $142 million at the wickets.

Ben Affleck. Has two DVD successes under his belt with "Pearl Harbor," which did $144 million on DVD (vs. $198 million gross) and "Daredevil" which made $51 million on DVD after grossing $102 million on the bigscreen.

Source

The problem isn't that people don't want to pay for their movies.

The problem is that people don't want to pay for movies that get awful reviews, and this thing called the INTERNET that old people don't seem to know how to use is a very useful way of finding out that The Expendables was a complete entertainment flop. The real problem is not illegal downloading, it's that large production companies keep making movies with retardedly cliche storylines that nobody cares about. I mean do we really care to listen to a cast of has-beens drone through and pretend it is remotely exciting?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

I have been in a band before, recorded albums, and played across the tristate area. Happy?

You are right though, thanks for pointing it out. I did imply you were not smart for choosing your career. I was wrong for doing so. Emotion got the best of me.

But I am still sticking to my guns, downloading and trying something out before I buy it, is not the same as stealing it.
edit on Wed, 11 May 2011 17:28:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NearPerfect

That's not my problem either. And I'm not sure where you get the information to believe it is impossible. The Music industry successfully sued over 35,000 downloaders.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

Then they can get a subscription to Netflix and watch all the terrible movies they want for only 9 bucks a month. No need to illegally download.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Why? Because you do?

As a musician, I remember a time when entertainment was about the art, not about ripping all the cash you can out of your so-called "fans". Large production companies are making a killing off of these movies while people in this country starve and all the rich folk in the situation can do is complain that the broke people aren't paying them. It's 2011 and the business world still has a lot of growing up to do.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot

Originally posted by edog11

Are You One of 23,000 Defendants in the US' Biggest Illegal Download Lawsuit?

techland.time.com

Did you illegally download a copy of The Expendables, Sylvester Stallone's old-school macho get-together fight-fest from last year? If so, watch your inbox: You're likely one of the more than 23,000 file sharers being sued for doing so by the US Copyright Group in what is now the largest BitTorrent downloading case in US legal history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com
www.wired.com

I can't help not to notice the use of EYES in many avatars as of latelly. I guess in your avatar the theme is VERY prominent.
Is there some kind of "anything" associated with that? I don't know.. something like an ID system perhaps?
edit on 11-5-2011 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by spacebot
To make it more clearly is this another HSARPA bait thread Mr.Eyes?

Would you stop being paranoid and chill out?
Just because I choose 1 second of animation from a certain Japanese Anime does NOT mean I am one of "them". Did it ever occur to you that some people put up avatars that they think look nice without any mall-intent?
FYI the .GIF (My Avatar) is from a Japanese Anime called "Naruto". The character you see (Itachi) is a dude that can do all sorts of crazy stuff with his eyes since its his primary "tool" for fighting. Look it up and calm down. I don't like being accused of being someone that I am not, especially one of "them".

IT--
edit on 11-5-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

But I am still sticking to my guns, downloading and trying something out before I buy it, is not the same as stealing it.
edit on Wed, 11 May 2011 17:28:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

The real question I have is, let's say after a day having it, and you deemed that it sucked, would you keep it? And on the other side of the coin, if you loved it, would you pay for it?

If the answer is NO, YES, then I think that's a commendable position, however...any other answer simply shows you to as wanting to steal for the sake of stealing.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

We're not talking about "trying before buying" here.

For movies and TV, there are previews, reviews, etc.
Most software/games have demo versions and reviews, documentation, etc.
You can listen to music samples at most music stores and several web sites.

There is no excuse for downloading stuff with no intention of paying for it, and screwing those of us who make a living off of it out of our money just because you somehow think it's ok.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Hell yeah I delete the total crap, I dont have a lot of HD space, or money to get another external HD. Anywhere up to 3/4 of my HD is usually being taken up with my latest art project, and I don't have money to toss on a bajillion blank CD's and DVD's.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Hell yeah I delete the total crap, I dont have a lot of HD space, or money to get another external HD. Anywhere up to 3/4 of my HD is usually being taken up with my latest art project, and I don't have money to toss on a bajillion blank CD's and DVD's.

After (whatever the required) time length would be? And you never answered about the paying for the things you DO like? Would you?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Reviews and trailers are not a good indication of how good something really is. I have watched movies I thought were great, that all the critics gave 4 thumbs down to, and were not popular. I have watched movies I thought were garbage, yet critics raved.

Samples in stores are great, for people that live near stores. I don't so I screen stuff at home by downloading them. When I like something I write it on a list of stuff to buy. I want to keep people putting quality stuff out in business. When I can afford to, I buy it. I know many others that are in the same boat.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Oh my bad, yes, I keep a list of stuff I like, and support the stuff worth buying when I can. I want people putting out great stuff to keep doing so.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
All of you that think that music and movies download is their god given right from the day they were born (like breathing air) are totally wrong..most kids born in the last 20 years are like this.

I heard so many poor excuses and i really can't believe that people come up with all those things..

Many people live only from making music..and there you are downloading it and saying that you didn't steal it because the cd is still in cd store or something and its not actually stolen..that really sucks..

Imagine yourself creating something like that..maybe not sleeping at all some nights..paying for your expenses who knows how..and then we all download it..you would totally flip out..

The best of it all is when someone says "well he made 1M dollars for his cd or something..thats enough for him"... Who the hell are you that you will make a limit on how much they make?! If they made a masterpiece they should make as much as people wanna spend on the "product".

My country is 85% in piracy..waiting for the day when west starts to press our goverment for that..the best of it all is that they are so stupid that they dont know how much money are they loosing from the tax that people avoid to pay by downloading..

People are loosing jobs in music & movies industry totally..and all of this after flat rates adsl..

If you think that something sucks dont buy it.. Try to imagine the world without music..movies..

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join